The First Beading Daily Bead Along!

This post has 106 Replies | 13 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,025
Editor
on Aug 23, 2011 3:17 PM

Just announced!

I had such a good time participating in the Mirrix Looms Weave Along that I decided to do a Bead Along here on Beading Daily, and I chose one of my all-time favorite projects: Linda Richmond's Net Full of Gems necklace.

You can download the instructions for this necklace for free - read all about the Bead Along on the Beading Daily blog under Beading Instructions, and we'll use this thread in the forums to share our experiences and our materials, post questions and show off our finished pieces.

Are you excited yet? I sure am!

Oh, and don't quote me, but there might be a giveaway at the end of this giveaway for everyone who participates by posting in this thread!

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 520
on Aug 24, 2011 3:42 PM

I'll  beadalong (as if I don't have enough to do already). Netting has always stumped me....

maybe this time I'll get it. i already know what beads I'm going to use too :-)

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,953
SEllen 2 wrote
on Aug 25, 2011 9:59 AM

Downloaded the instructions...now off to see what beads I can use.

I've never done any netting so this will be a good way to learn.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
Tia Dalma wrote
on Aug 25, 2011 3:47 PM

This sounds like lots of fun! I'm in on this one! Thanks Jen...this should be fun! I can't wait to see the colors and different stones/crystals etc that everyone chooses for embellishment on these!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,953
SEllen 2 wrote
on Aug 30, 2011 11:35 AM

Has anyone started their piece yet?

I just found the time lines last night and started my piece. Have to admit I'm not liking it.Sad

I've never done any netting before but have done some tubular pieces and have always enjoyed seeing them develope. Maybe, once I get more completed I'll start to like/enjoy it.

How's it going for you?

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Not Ranked
Posts 23
on Aug 30, 2011 2:57 PM

Started mine after two trips to the bead store. Agree that I am not crazy about it so far but I am hoping it improves with progress!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,025
Editor
on Aug 30, 2011 3:05 PM

I have to admit: it doesn't look like much for the first few rounds. But trust me, this is a really dramatic necklace when it's done. I'll have some pictures and tips posted to the Beading Instructions blog later tonight or tomorrow. I'm really happy with the colors I picked for this one, and I can't wait to show you the silver bead caps and clasp I got for my findings! Soooooo cool!

Is there something about this piece that has you ladies stumped? Is there something about the netting technique that's confusing to you?

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,953
SEllen 2 wrote
on Aug 30, 2011 4:01 PM

Vanbeads:

Is there something about this piece that has you ladies stumped? Is there something about the netting technique that's confusing to you?

I don't think I'm stumped or confused by this project but maybe I am and that's why I'm not liking it. But to me it just seems to be a waste of thread and beads to do a tubular netting only to have it lay flat. Or at least mine is. Hmm

Maybe I shouldn't have done this as my first netting project.Tongue Tied I've always loved the netting pieces I've seen. And have always enjoyed watching the tubular pieces I've done develope. Maybe this just isn't the project for me.Sad

But I'll keep going for awhile and see if it gets better as it developes.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,025
Editor
on Aug 30, 2011 4:19 PM

If the piece is too flat, trying using a heavier thread (like a 6lb or even a 10lb Fireline) and keep your tension tight. That will help give it some body. But it will, for the most part, be sort of flat until you start weaving the ends. Don't give up!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,953
SEllen 2 wrote
on Aug 30, 2011 6:43 PM

I started mine over and tightened up on the tension and it's not as flat as is was.

I'll keep going and see what happens.

Have a nice evening everyone.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Lody wrote
on Aug 30, 2011 7:46 PM

This sounds so much fun!!! As if I need another challenge. LOL

I'll download the pattern tonight (if my connection will allow me... LOL) and will do my best to come up with something tomorrow. Most of my beads are out anyway, so it will be easy to dig. LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on Aug 30, 2011 9:16 PM

ooohhh... looks like fun! too bad I just can't. With a VERY challenging almost 1yr old... beads and sleeping have just not happened for me! can't wait to see all the variations you ladies make though!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,025
Editor
on Aug 31, 2011 5:10 AM

I totally hear you about the 1 year old. Not to scare you, but my son is 3 1/2 and he still doesn't sleep through the night. Heh. But it's all worth it!

Not Ranked
Posts 8
patrish128 wrote
on Aug 31, 2011 3:15 PM

Do you think I could use size #11 seeds instead of the delica's

thx for reply Patricia

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Lody wrote
on Aug 31, 2011 4:15 PM

Patricia, I'm using size 11/0 myself.:) I've done tubular netting in the past and I had no problem using that size.:)

Page 1 of 8 (107 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS