Aloha bracelet toggle instructions

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Aug 19, 2011 7:05 AM

Hello,
I am looking for instructions on how to make the toggle made with 3(?) crystal rounds and seed beads as seen in the Best of Step By Step Beads 2010.  In the picture on p.14, there is a bracelet made with the above beads but the instructions for the ending are not included with the Aloha bracelet instructions.  I have emailed the artist, Cher Lash, without results.  I have one bracelet ready to finish with no idea how to make this optional ending.  Please help!!  I am not advanced enough to figure out from looking at the picture as some might be.  Looking online has patterns for toggles made entirely out of seed beads which is not what I desire.
Thank you in advance for your help!
Irene Doughty

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 120
ScottishSue wrote
on Aug 23, 2011 10:27 AM

Hi Irene:

That pattern was originally published in Step By Step Beads, July / August 2009 on page 12-13 and was also shown on the cover then.  That pattern also does NOT have instructions for the toggle part. Too bad that the author never responded.

I looked in the book Crystal Brilliance by Anna Elizabeth Dragger (published by Kalmbach) and there is a bar toggle on page 24 and pictured and illustrated on page 25.  It uses 10 4mm bicone crystals plus some seed beads.  Perhaps that would be a nice substitute if you can find 4mm crystals in a color similar to the large crystal rounds you used in your aloha  bracelet.  REMEMBER, however, that crystals easily cut through many threads and be sure to use something like Fireline and reinforce it very well.

Hope that helps,

ScottishSue 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 120
ScottishSue wrote
on Aug 25, 2011 3:24 PM

Hello again Irene:

I think I've figured out how to make a THREE CRYSTAL BUTTON much like the one shown with the Aloha Bracelet.  I have been studying the image on the front cover of Step By Step Beads, July-August 2009.  I think that what is shown is more like a little three crystal floral button than a toggle bar.

MATERIALS

•  Three Czech glass 6mm round faceted fire-polished crystal beads (like the ones you used in the bracelet)

•  Size 11/0 seed beads (like the ones you used in the bracelet)

•  One (JUST ONE) size 11/0 seed bead that is a different color or texture than the seed beads you used in the bracelet.  (You need to be able to find this bead several times.  If you can spot it easily, you will not need to count to find it.  Perhaps it could be the color of the dagger beads you used.)  It could even be a size 8/0 seed bead as you will pass through it a number of times!!!

•  Braided beading thread (to withstand crystals)

•  Scissors

•  Thin #12 beading needles

•  Your almost finished Aloha Bracelet

THE PLAN:  First you will make the button top, reinforce it, and finish off the thread.  Then you will used the threads that remain at the end of your bracelet to attach that button top to the bracelet.  (Most of the construction will be done with thread B.)

MAKING THE BUTTON TOP:

Cut a length of beading thread and thread it on your needle.  Pick up three size 11/0 seed beads, one 6mm crystal (= crystal J), three size 11/0 seed beads, one 6mm crystal (= crystal K), three size 11/0 seed beads, and one 6mm crystal (= crystal L).

You will now shape the beads into a circle in this way:  Go through the first seed bead, skip the next seed bead, go through the third seed bead, and go through crystal J.  Go through the next three seed beads in the same way:  go through the first one, skip the second one, go through the third one, and go through crystal K. Go through the last three seed beads in the same way:  go through the first one, skip the second one, go through the third one, and go through crystal L.  Pull the thread tight so that each skipped seed bead pops out and the three seed beads each become a little triangular picot between each crystal.  Knot the tail thread and the working thread with a secure double square knot.  Work the thread in and trim carefully.

ATTACHING THE BUTTON TOP TO THE BRACELET WITH A 5-BEAD STEM, A TRIPOD, AND THEN ANOTHER 5-BEAD STEM:

Using thread B from your bracelet, string five size 11/0 seed beads and the one different color size 11/0 (or size 8/0) seed bead.  (THIS MAKES A 5-BEAD STEM.)

NOW FOR THE TRIPOD:

(1)  Pick up three size 11/0 seed beads.  Thread through one of the popped out, middle seed bead of the button top.  Go back down through the three size 11/0 seed beads that you just added, going towards the different color seed bead.  Go through the one different color seed bead IN THE SAME DIRECTION THAT YOU FIRST STRUNG IT.

(2)  Pick up three size 11/0 seed beads.  Thread through the next popped out, middle, seed bead of the button top.  Go back down through the three size 11/0 seed beads that you just added, going towards that different color seed bead.  Go through the one different color seed bead IN THE SAME DIRECTION THAT YOU FIRST STRUNG IT.

(3)  Pick up three size 11/0 seed beads.  Thread through the last popped out, middle, seed bead of the button top.  Go back down through the three size 11/0 seed beads that you just added, going towards that different color seed bead.  Go through the one different color seed bead IN THE SAME DIRECTION THAT YOU FIRST STRUNG IT>

Essentially, you have made a TRIPOD of beads that goes from the one different colored bead to each of the popped out beads.

NOW FOR THE OTHER 5-BEAD STEM THAT GOES BACK TO THE BRACELET:

Pick up five size 11/0 seed beads.  Knot thread B (which you have been using just now) and thread A together in a secure double square knot.  Retrace your thread path to reinforce the work as much as possible and knot again with thread A.

FINISHING:  Weave both thread A and thread B into several beads in the bracelet to hide the ends.  (Perhaps make a few half-hitch knots along the way for even more security.)  Trim carefully.

Now, you just have to check to see if the original closure loop that you made at the start of your bracelet is too small, too big, or just right for this toggle button.

Again, I hope this helps.  Happy beading!

ScottishSue

I think I’ve figured out how to make a THREE CRYSTAL BUTTON much like the one shown with the Aloha Bracelet. I have been studying the image on the front cover of Step By Step Beads, July-August 2009.  I think that what is shown is more like a little three-crystal floral button than a toggle bar. 

MATERIALS

Three Czech glass 6mm round faceted fire-polished crystal beads (like the ones you used in the bracelet)

Size 11/0 seed beads (like the ones you used in the bracelet)

One (JUST ONE) size 11/0 seed bead that is a different color or texture than the seed beads you used in the bracelet.  (You need to be able to find this bead several times.  If you can spot it easily, you will not need to count to find it.  Perhaps it could be the color of the dagger beads you used.)  It could even be a size 8/0 seed bead as you will pass through it a number of times!!

Braided beading thread (to withstand crystals)

Scissors

Thin #12 beading needles

Your almost finished Aloha Bracelet

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 120
ScottishSue wrote
on Aug 26, 2011 3:11 PM

Hello:

Another possibility appeared in my mailbox today.  Look at the clasp button in Cynthia Rutledge's "Bubble wrap" pattern on page 26-29 of the October/November 2011 Beadwork.  Her button is made out of 6mm pearls, size 15/0 seed beads, and size 11/0 seed beads.  It would be very easy to substitute 6mm round crystals for the 6mm pearls. 

ScottishSue

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 348
Chibabies6 wrote
on Aug 28, 2011 10:20 AM

I'm sitting here with a beautiful freestyle RAW bracelet finally almost finished after hours of work and am at a total loss as to how to clasp it.. I'm gonna give this a try.. Thanks for taking the time!!

Michelle K.

Follow my As They Grow project..  weekly pictures of my 3 chihuahuas from birth to age 1.

http://chibeads.shutterfly.com/

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 120
ScottishSue wrote
on Sep 5, 2011 12:13 PM

To Irene:

FOUND ONE MORE POSSIBILITY FOR YOU.  Look at:

http://www.beadjewelrymaking.com/2008/project/january_kid.html

To Squirrelflight:

Glad my pattern was of use to you.

ScottishSue

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS