How do I stiffen a seed bead project

This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Aug 6, 2011 8:03 AM

I'm making a beaded sphere in dark colors and would like to keep it from being floppy. It was suggested that I use Finish floor polish on it. I tried it. It worked fine. The sphere stiffened, but the dark metallic beads I'm using lost there luster. Does anyone know of another product I can use that will stiffen the project but not discolor the beads. This is a Christmas present and is very time consuming, so time is of the essence. Thank you for and and all suggestions!

I love the beading world....

Susan

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 151
SandyA@16 wrote
on Aug 6, 2011 10:27 AM

Hi, I don't know why the metalic beads lost thier luster. I have used the floor polish myself and did not experience that problem.  The only other thing I can think of, is to use frabric starch undeluded or hat Stiffy stuf they sell in craft stores.  Try it on a small sample piece first.

Hope this helps, Happy Beading, Sandy A.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 583
Beadiecat wrote
on Aug 6, 2011 10:52 AM

If you are unable to use the floor polish, the only other option you may have is to use a stiff beading thread, like a heavy weight Fireline, and go through the beads as many times as possible using a tight tension.  The thinner the needle you use, the more times you will be able to go through the beads.  It doesn't work as well as the polish, but it will give your project some extra firmness.

I have also had the polish (I use Future brand) discolor some of my beads that had special finishes on them.  I always do a test on the beads first.

Cat

The Cat's Meow Blog

My RebelMouse page and Etsy shop

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Aug 6, 2011 11:20 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still in the learning process and loving the craft. I use Fireline quite a bit on jewelry but didn't know how it would work with this. And I have to confess that I used a metallic thread to weave the beads, so that may have been part of the floppy problem. I thought it would look cool to see the bright color on the ends. Oh well, that's how we learnWink  Looks like it's back to the drawing board for me!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS