avoid openings in jump rings and crumbled crimps

This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
on Aug 12, 2008 6:29 AM

If your thread slips through the opening in a jump ring... use a CLOSED jump ring! You can attach a closed jump ring to an open ring and sew onto the closed ring, or attach the closed ring within your stitching. I prefer 3mm or 4mm sterling closed jump rings. Check the rings, as sometimes the solder which closed them is too conspicuous. Look for rings which have discrete solder points.

If your crimp beads crumble...buy better crimp beads. No kidding. Look for crimp tubes that are thicker (the gauge of metal, not the diameter of tube, as that is determined by the wire you're using).  Buy sterling when possible. Also, try to get the crimp done in two moves and no more.

If crimping into a roll continues to be confounding (and you're not alone!) check out tornado crimps, which are simply squashed flat, or Beadalon's "scrimps" which use a tiny screw to secure the wires within.

Thanks to BillieM for the questions in the Step by Step Beads forum that prompted these answers!

sleeplessbeader.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Aug 12, 2008 6:47 PM

Leslie,

Don't forget the Magical Crimp forming tool. It makes a nice round bead out of a 2mm tube crimp. Can  you tell it's my favorite? Cheaper than the scrimps and nicer looking, too!

Deb - AZ Bead Depot

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 12, 2008 7:24 PM

I haven't had a single crimp crumble since I went exclusive with sterling silver crimps. I'd rather pay an extra nickle and have the reliability. I don't like having to restring things. Not to mention it hurts your reputation. Even if you make it good, it still broke to start with. On heavy  beads, I use a doubled 21 strand stainless steel wire and 2 crimps on each end. I now have a "0" crimp breakage record.

I have seen the amazing magicalsuper duper crimp forming tool(they have a full page ad in all 5 of my jewelry magazines so I have to make fun of them *grinz*), but I haven't had the pleasure of using one or even seeing one in use firsthand. It does look cool as hell though. *grinz* It's on my wish list. 

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
on Aug 13, 2008 6:04 AM

Magic crimps are great, but not for everything. As always, the right tool for the right project!

How about sending me a photo of what you make using Magic Crimps, to share with our readers? Not everyone even knows the diff between a crimp tube, crimp bead, scrimp or magic crimp. Dizzying, our choices...!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
on Aug 13, 2008 6:12 AM

My opinion exactly. Silver never crumbles. The magic crimps make cool round crimps, but they are not tight enough a closure for every project. For lightweight basic stringing--very cool!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
BillieM@10 wrote
on Aug 13, 2008 4:52 PM

something else Ive never heard of being a newbie lol..magic crimps? I always thought they were magic when they crimped the way the were supposed to.

I do use a tool, the normal crimper with 2 positions for crimping, but Im sure I read here, that the way to do it, is actually opposite to the way it had been done...but cant find where I read that

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Aug 13, 2008 5:25 PM

If I remember correctly-- we were to place the crimp in the end position to make it oval, so the oher position would do a better job of crimping, then return the crimp to the first position again to finish it off.  This was stated as being how the inventor intended it to be used.

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
diane@285 wrote
on Aug 13, 2008 9:53 PM

Split rings are another option, I prefer these for some reason, like the look, no weld.  They can work off with say nymo, but I make sure they are closely coiled and unless someone works at it it isn't an issue.

Crimp beads try using small metal beads, especially brass or sterling.  Same idea better quality.  Donpt just buy the cheapest crimps you can find, shop around.  I found some in Joane's that were great, of course they discontinued them, but I got lucky and bought the last 10 pkgs they had when they discounted them for clearance, they are black, no idea what the metal is but they work great and wear well.The ones that break and crumble generally use some harder metal, you want something soft the squashes, does not beak.  Be careful using sterling with other metals as it will discolor quickly if it touches other metal, a dab of clear nail polish will seal it and help stop that. 

That's my 2 cents.Idea

Diane

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS