Want to try Fireline

This post has 32 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Mtbikn212 wrote
on Aug 11, 2008 9:59 PM

Hello Everyone,

We are about to try Fireline.  What is (or is there any) difference between the Fireline fishingline from Wal-Mart and the "Bead Smith" Fireline?

We currently use Beadalon in 7, 19 & 49 strand.  How does it compare?

Thanks for any help.

E

wrote
on Aug 11, 2008 11:35 PM

Hi E,

If you do a forum search for Fireline, there are a couple different posts that have more in-depth discussion about this, but the short answer is no, there is no difference.  You can buy it anywhere fishing line is sold and shop around for the best price.

Welcome to the forum!

wrote
on Aug 11, 2008 11:43 PM

Oops, forgot to answer the 2nd half of the question.  Fireline is completely different from beading wire.  Beading wire is twisted strands of wire with a nylon coating on top, and fishing line doesn't have the wire, but comes in different test strengths, depending on how big a fish you're after.Wink 

For beading purposes, you want smaller test for things you will make multiple thread passes through or for smaller beads, and higher test for heavier beads or larger holes.

Also, don't limit yourself to just Fireline.  Different brands can work just as well, may be less expensive, come in different colors, etc.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 55
Mortira wrote
on Aug 12, 2008 1:58 PM

Are you using the Fireline for stringing or beadweaving?  In either case, the type of beads you are using will determine what weight (lb test) you need, as well as color.  And yep, there are lots of braided fishing lines suitable for beading - different stores will carry different brands.  I have a more detailed write up - with links - about thread comparison called Beading Threads on one of my web pages.  It may help you decide what's best for your beadwork.

Let us know what you pick and how it works for you! Big Smile

Morti 

Inspirational Beading - tutorials, bead spotlights and plenty of inspiration!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Aug 13, 2008 1:43 AM

OK, feel free to call me a dum-dum, but is Fireline actually fishing line?  Or is it fishing line being marketed as beading line and not really meant for fishing?  And if it's almost the same, what would be the harm of using the 15-pound-test fishing line I've had on hand for other crafting projects and whatnot?  I know not to use crimps on the fishing line, but other than that...?   Confused

Dawn

wrote
on Aug 13, 2008 6:46 AM

Yes, Fireline is actually fishing line, and is marketed to beaders as well.  What works for tying flies also works for jewelry, I guess.  So yes, you could probably use what you have on hand as long as it fits through your beads.  Don't feel like a dummy, I didn't know what all the hype was at first either.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,328
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Aug 13, 2008 6:55 AM

No you not going to be called a dum-dum because if we did we would also be calling ourselves one for all beaders have the same questions when they first start off loom weaving.

Fireline was first intended to be used on a fishing pole. However we beaders are always looking outside the box and in hubbies tackle box Confused "and low and behold that stuff is thin and strong". So we started using it for beading. Then they must have gotten wind of it and starting marketing it for beaders and sorry to say , but the price went up when it crossed over into the bead stores. That is why so many of us still buy it at the sporting goods store.

If you are going to do off loom weaving the 15-pound is way too heavy. You will have a very hard time with it. In weaving you have to make several passes through the same bead and it will not go through becasue the thickness of the line and the bead holes are too small for the thick stuff. It is best if you use a 4 or 6 pound test instead. I sometimes will use a 8 pound test if I am beading crystals, but for most of my weaving I use a 4 pound test. I live near Cabela's and they also have it in bright green and hot pink besides the normal smoke or crystal(which looks more like white). If I am using light colored beads I will use the crystal for all others I use the smoke. I have some hot pink but haven't used it yet.

Hope this answers some of your questions. And don't be shy. You can come here and ask as many questions as you have. We have many knowing people that hang around here and  have alot of the answers so ask away.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 13, 2008 9:41 AM

I would have asked the same question but it was a general discussion some time back about this. That is how I found out. 

I did buy the 10 lb and use it for simple stringing. But if I have some small beads, I can't get it through twice ( like when I want to double back and crimp ). 

I bought mine at wal-mart and it was cheaper. Please don't feel like a dum-dum. You don't know until you ask. That is how we all learn. You have to realize that when you posted your question, you will help someone else learn as well. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
on Aug 13, 2008 10:11 AM

You should try the new Beadalon WildFire, this beading industry giant's answer to FireLine. It's as strong, a much better color black and neutral green (crystal coming soon) and has a more consistent density along its length. Pricing is competitive.

Ask your local bead shop about it.

I use this bonded thread product exclusively and find 6 and 8 lb work for everything. I never needed 10 lb--if I use heavier beads, I use wire or waxed linen.

sleeplessbeader.blogspot.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 55
Mortira wrote
on Aug 13, 2008 2:07 PM

Jsmaz:

Yes, Fireline is actually fishing line, and is marketed to beaders as well.  What works for tying flies also works for jewelry, I guess. 

I wanted to point out, for shopping purposes, that Fireline isn't a fly tying material but a fresh water fishing line.  Sporting goods stores that only sell fly fishing supplies aren't likely to have it - but a tackle shop is the best place to go for a good price.

Also, for Dawn, keep in mind that Fireline is suitable for beading because it is a braided line - not monofilament.  It's much more flexible and knots like regular thread.  If the line you already have is just a clear plastic 'string', I don't recommend beading with it.  Mono gets brittle and breaks easily with wear.

Smile

Morti

Inspirational Beading - tutorials, bead spotlights and plenty of inspiration!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Aug 13, 2008 4:08 PM

Morti, thanks for the fantastic info.  I'll be heading off to Wally-world to pick up some Fireline.  Yes

Dawn

Not Ranked
Posts 9
CindyC@53 wrote
on Aug 13, 2008 5:47 PM

Nobody has mentioned Beadalon's DandyLine.  It's also a braided line.  It comes in Black (dark grey) and white.  I use their smallest size, .004 width (10 lb) and find I can get it through size 11 beads at least 3-4 times; even more through Delicas.  You can also use permanent markers to color the white any color you wish.  I don't know how the price compares to FireLine.  I also found the 100m spool was way cheaper than the 25m spool (almost half the price).  I agree with the person who warned you against using the monofilament fishing line - it won't stand up to wear and tear and knots/crimps do not work well with it.  Plus it doesn't look as professional.

Cindy

Not Ranked
Posts 2
luvurbeads wrote
on Aug 13, 2008 8:17 PM

I used alot of Dandyline and one  of the classes I took they insisted on our using Fireline, I won't use anything unless it is Powerpro (which is hard to find)  anymore.  I've been beading since 1990 and haven't had anything come apart or problems with Fireline.  You can also go to Sportsman's Warehouse stores and go to the back where the fishing line is and they will put it on a reel for you for eleven cents a yard (11 cents), they prefer you bring something for them to put it on, but they do have reel's they will put it on for you.  It's alot less expensive than buying it by the spool off the rack.  Some of the other fishing supply stores might do this also, but check first.  Judi

Not Ranked
Posts 6
diane@285 wrote
on Aug 13, 2008 9:45 PM

Fishing fireline is different, it comes in different tests, hight=er test weight it higher strength also tends to be bigger gage.  Fishing line *like plastic bags) is supposed to be made to degrade over time.  Fireline for beadwork is specially reinforced and multiple strands together for strength.  You might experiement with other wires and such, different products work differently and give different drapes. 

Diane

wrote
on Aug 14, 2008 12:14 AM

Thanks for correcting me, Mortira.  Can you tell I'm no fishing expert?  I'd hate to give the wrong info, and I learned something new too!Big Smile

That's also a good idea about asking a shop to wind bulk fishing line for you.  I'll have to check the sporting goods stores around here to see if they do that.  Not sure what brands they carry in Italy.

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS