New to Beading -- Attaching to Leather and Other Questions

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
mattison wrote
on Jul 10, 2011 8:37 PM

Hello everyone,

I am completely new to beading, so I apologize for the questions I am about to ask if they are silly.

I would love to make a beaded leather belt for my sisters and young cousins. I want to basically have a leather belt, but with beading on it. How can I do this? Do I have to sew beads to the leather? Do I sew them to fabric and then sew the fabric to leather?

I want to make something like this: http://www.exoticafrica.com/shop/pics/bt1.jpg

Could anyone direct me on what I need and how I get started?

Thank you for your time,

Whitney

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 781
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jul 10, 2011 10:54 PM

Hi Whitney and welcome to Beading Daily!

That photo is so small that I couldn't tell if the beadwork was loomed or embroidered...but both are good techniques for this project!

I think that beading directly onto the leather is possible however it would be hard and take forever! Stitching on leather usually requires a very sharp pointy "leather needle" or you would poke holes in the leather with an awl before you start to stitch on the leather.

So I would recommend that you either loom a piece of beadwork in the length and width needed to fit the leather belt that you choose...and then stitch it to a backing of some sort (like ultrasuede) and then glue that down to the leather. Then finish it with some stitches around the edges for reinforcement!

You can glue your beadwork straight onto the leather but the glue can get all squished up into your beadwork and that might now always looks so pretty!

Or, you could embroider your beadwork design onto a backing of some sort and then glue that down to the leather belt and add some stitching around the edges for reinforcement!

At the top of this page there a tab titled Blogs. Click on that and check out Jen's recent blog about embroidery backing materials! It has great information regarding these fabrics for embroidery!

Good luck and happy beading!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 71
on Jul 13, 2011 11:20 PM

Ask away no matter how silly it sounds. ;)

from what I know most belts are done in layers, your back, the loomed bead strip, then the top layer of leather with openings to see the beads under it. The one in that photo was most likely a loomed strip glued to the leather.

When I make hat bands I embroider the beads on the leather as I have never be able to finish anything on the loom. I use real suede, pig skin is normaly the best buy. A beading needle can be used on it, it's rather easy to stich through.

If I was making a belt I'd stich it to the suede, then get some leather cement and glue it to the belt leather.

If you can/do work on a loom that would be faster then embroidering it {I think

Witch ever way you choose to go about it, I'd start with something smaller the a belt. Like a braclet or choker, that why you have an idea of what your dealing with.

Tandy Leather Co. is were I get my leather goods from

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 212
Trishie33 wrote
on Jul 17, 2011 9:32 AM

Here's a bigger pic:

http://www.exoticafrica.com/shop/pics/bt1-big.jpg

Lock up your supplies! No bead is safe from my needles! Stick out tongue

Shop

Blog

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 781
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jul 17, 2011 11:07 AM

Thanks Budgiemommy! That helps a lot! And yes, the beaded section on that belt looks like it was loomed!

I did have an off post discussion with the original poster about all of this. She sent me a message and it would have taken way too long to explain here...but for anyone else reading this thread...I would say that the belt was loomed and then attached to the leather!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Sean Jaxson wrote
on Jul 20, 2011 11:30 AM

Hello Whitney,

Thanks for asking this question as I had the same questions as well; I too am fairly new to beading and brand new to the foum.  I work with a lot of youth who enjoy beadwork for Indian Lore and adorning leather belts and wallets.  The answers were very helpful!

Sean Jaxson

Visit Buy Beads Now

Not Ranked
Posts 1
cmenolly wrote
on Nov 19, 2011 6:15 AM

Whitney, did you ever make a beaded leather belt?  My husband wants one with a Native American design for Christmas, and I'm uncertain about attaching a loomed bead strip to the leather.  

CMenolly

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Barbie Jones wrote
on Nov 21, 2011 11:48 PM

I never thought of doing beads on leather belt before. I know it is a lot of works and my time won't allow me to do one. I maybe want to try it  on leather bracelet first and try both techniques to see what is more appropriate. Thanks for sharing how to do it.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS