Beaded mask

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Meg4 wrote
on Jul 10, 2011 12:24 AM

Hi,

I'm wanting to make a bead embroidered mask. I have a blank mask base to use as my lining, and my foundation, but I don't know how to bead it so that when I put it together the foundation/beadwork will conform to the shape of the mask. Can anyone help me??

Meg

www.megbeads.etsy.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jul 10, 2011 2:23 PM

Hi Meg and welcome to Beading Daily!

This sounds like a cool project!

Is the mask that you want to embroider thin enough that you could do some stitches through it to attach it to your embroidery base? If not you could just use a good adhesive and glue your embroidery to the mask base.

I would trace your maks onto your embroidery base...Lacy's Stiff Stuff, ultrasuede, Pellon or that stuff that Jen wrote a blog about recently. I don't remember what it was called but it is inexpensive, comes in many colors and it looks really cool to work with...search Jens blog on this site...this stuff is for sale on etsy and she links to the site in the blog!

I would then embroider your design onto this base, and then if you cannot sew through your mask, maybe add an ultraseude backing to your embroidery, sew on edging beads to cover your stitching and then glue this down to your mask.

If you can sew through your mask, skip the last step of backing your work and use the mask as your backing. Adding edging beads all around this to cover your stitching.

I hope this is helpful in some way! But definitely read through Jen's blog...it will be helpful in finding a good embroidery base for this project!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jul 10, 2011 2:26 PM

One more thing...the Lacy's Stiff Stuff might be too stiff to conform to the shape of your mask but the pthers that I mentioned above shuold work to conform to this.

Especially if you stretch it around the shape of the mask before you start your embroidery! Then folllow this shaping with you embroidery and it should help form it into the right shape as you embroider!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS