beads for scarf jewellery

This post has 12 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 244
beadinstyle wrote
on Jun 13, 2011 11:13 PM

I would like to find some VERY LARGE hole beads for scarf jewellery and pendants. Probably needs to be lightweight because of their size, minimum 15mm hole, prefer larger so the scarf threads through? And some of those very large end caps, too? I would prefer wholesale, but I'm a little out of my depth ... I'm not sure what to call the beads I'm looking for, so I can search, or ask *sigh*.

Thanks, all.

Ruth

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,950
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jun 14, 2011 11:13 AM

Ruth

When I use to wear them they were refered to as a slide or scarf slide. 
 I wore metal ones and all sorts of bead ones. Any large holed bead would work. They were alot of fun to wear.

You might check out FMG and the Dione beads and see if those would be large enough for you. It may at least give some sort of terminology to use in your search for the right thing.

Sorry I'm not of more help.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 250
Claudette48 wrote
on Jun 14, 2011 6:27 PM

Yowee wowee.  That's a biiiiiiiiiig hole.  A lot of fabric can go through that.  15mm hole is over one half inch -.59 to be exact.  You could pull an entire sheer scarf through one hole.

"Donuts" have holes that big, but the edge is too wide.

Native American Pony Beads have holes that are about 1/4 inch which is pretty big, but less than half of what you are looking for.  Also, they are rather casual.

I see thousands of beads every year and can't think of a thing that might help you, that wouldn't be the rare exception rather than the rule.   Are you sure you want beads with holes that big?

You could make them yourself using clay, fimo or glass, even fabric and wire.

Sorry I wasn't much help.

Claudette

amagnetaday

Claudette

Tip: To stop metal findings from tarnishing store in a ZIP Lock bag with a chunk of chalk.

amagnetaday

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 250
Claudette48 wrote
on Jun 14, 2011 6:44 PM

Oooops.  Got it now.  I was confused.  I was thinking you wanted to decorate the fringe with beads - duh.

I understand NOW!  Got it.

Scarf slides.  I should have gotten it when I read SEllen's letter.  Sorry.

But this isn't so difficult after all.  First, you need to decide what motif, culture, theme, etc., casual or elegant, color, etc.

If you google Scarf Slides it will give you some ideas.  I would also go to all kinds of stores and just wander around.  You could find something in the hardware aisle or hair aisle.  Who knows?

There are some very funky rings out now that would be great and fun, ie all seed beads with huge flowers or large globs of plastic, etc.

You could attach a large silk blossom to some kind of ring to match the scarf or the clothing and make a matching clippie for your hair.  The sewing section has plastic rings.

You could even find a matching pin of some kind and attach a chain to the slide, the pin to your blouse and the slide won't slide off.

And now that I finally figured out that you need one per scarf not hundreds - duh again, you could make one of a kind and make them fun.  Let your imagination run wild.  There are a lot of options out there.

Claudette

Claudette

Tip: To stop metal findings from tarnishing store in a ZIP Lock bag with a chunk of chalk.

amagnetaday

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 244
beadinstyle wrote
on Jun 16, 2011 4:07 AM

Laughing.  Thanks so much. Your replies have helped me a lot. I have thought of making some but its the TIME ...! But I now have some new directions. If only my customers would buy the *%@# scarves with the jewellery attached, and not come in looking for these beads I don't have to make their own ... *end of rant* !!!

Thanks so much ... *now off to look...*

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 32
on Jun 28, 2011 1:26 AM

A bead with a 15mm hole is hard to find. You can get it online. You have to check it. You can create a very nice scarf with it.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
val2525 wrote
on Apr 15, 2012 5:30 PM

I found some ccb beads in metal tones at www.beads.us with 11mm-15mm center holes.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 244
beadinstyle wrote
on Apr 16, 2012 4:36 AM

Many thanks for the new site. I have had some success after long patient (mostly) searching. Bits and pieces from different places. Any new sites are most welcome, thanks again

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 147
whatsup1 wrote
on Apr 16, 2012 7:18 AM

I don't know where to get the beads you're looking for, but this post sure brought back memories. My very first job ever, a million years ago, was demonstrating scarf rings (and wind up toys) at a fair.

Peg

Not Ranked
Posts 1
MsChief wrote
on May 8, 2012 2:58 PM

Did you find out where you could find these beads?  My mother and I have been looking everywhere for these.  I have found the slide pendants on ebay but I would like to find other big hole beads as well.  It seems you can buy all the scrafs with all the jewelry already on them but don't like the scraf colors, we'd really like to make our own.  If you have any suggestions I'd appreciate them.....thanks

Kathy

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 244
beadinstyle wrote
on May 9, 2012 6:42 PM

Hi Kathy. 8 seasons have some ... if you want more info, email me and I will give you some more details. Its been a trip!
Ruth

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jan 28, 2013 11:30 PM

Ruth,

if You find out how to find them or what They are calles, Please let me know.

Thanks,

Hannelore

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Kathy395 wrote
on Apr 14, 2013 10:55 AM

Ruth,

I'm sure by now you have found what you want.  How about napkin rings? It might work for thick scarves. Lightweight napkin rings would probably work better.  There are so many designs out there. You can also embellish them yourself.

Kathy

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS