Beaded Phone Cover

This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 126
crookshanks wrote
on Aug 2, 2008 3:16 PM

I have not beadweaved before, but I thought I could start with a cover for my phone. It is a Chocolate Slider Phone. I was thinking Square Stitch? Other stitches to use? Would like peyote work? How hard are the stitches? How can I shape it around the touch "buttons" on the main phone (not the keypad) and around the scroll wheel.

But mainly:

The problem: It is a slider, and I want to make a two-piece skin so that it can still slide and function properly. Is there a way so that the beaded cover can fit tightly like the two-piece skins you can buy? Like, the ones that have two pieces, and one fits onto the back, and one on the front. You use your phone (it isn't like a case or a holder). How do you do this - has anybody done it before or do they have ideas???!!!

And can a normal sewing needle work for beadweaving?

Thanx! Cool

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 2, 2008 3:38 PM

The only way that it will fit like a skin is to be physically glued into place. Skins have an all over adhesive and every square inch of it, which is why they stick so well. You might be able to get one of those leather/leatherette cases and stitch your beads down to it. Other than that, I am lost.

You can use any needle for beading as long as the eye will fit through the beads. Actual 'beading needles' are a tiny bit smaller in diameter and a wee bit longer than a standard sewing needle.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 126
crookshanks wrote
on Aug 2, 2008 4:31 PM

Thanx! I thought some of the needles might be specially made so they're different somehow, idk.

But some skins just fit I've seen them before...they like snap on, that's a better description. Right, I was lost too, I hoped someone thought it was possible. Anybody?

Anyway, thanx! Even if I can't do this it was helpful cuz i thought I'd have to buy a seperate needle as long as teh diameter.

wrote
on Aug 3, 2008 1:22 AM

That's a bit of a tough one, Crookshanks.  I'm actually designing a cover for my iPhone, but it's all one piece so it will be a bit easier.  I'm going to do mine in peyote (gourd) stitch with Delica beads, but you could use any stitch you're comfortable with.  I measured my phone and used BeadCreator software to make the pattern.  I found a website that has free iPhone wallpaper and downloaded several interesting pictures, then plugged them into the program with the dimensions I wanted, and picked the one that translated best into a pattern. 

I'm going to make a section of flat gourd stitch for the back, and then work my way around the sides and front.  It's going to be a bit of experimentation, to be sure, since the sides are curved instead of right angles.

The hardest bit about yours is the slider function.  I'm not sure how a 2 piece cover would work for yours.  The best thing I can think of would be to make a one piece cover with enough room at the bottom so the keypad could come out, but I don't know how you'd push it down with a cover over the top.  Also, it looks like there's a camera on the back, so you'd need a hole for that unless you don't plan to take pics.  I suppose you could make the camera hole just big enough that you could push from the top and it would slide through a hole in the bottom.  Does that make any sense?

If I ever get my cover from pattern to actual finished piece, I'll be sure to post a picture.

wrote
on Aug 3, 2008 1:24 AM

Alternately for any easy out, you could buy a pre-made cover and decorate it.  I've seen some fun ones covered in Swarovski flatbacks.  If there's a hard plastic case available, you could go to town with that...

Not Ranked
Posts 10
MichelleG@56 wrote
on Aug 3, 2008 8:22 AM

Hi Crookshanks -

:) I applaud your enthusiasm! But, as a teacher and beader with 20 yrs experience, I think a dimensional object needing increases/decreases, etc might really frustrate you for your first project if you are not familiar with beadweaving just yet. 

I would suggest picking up a cover of "Seed Bead Stitching" by Beth Stone. This is a great resource for all beginners learning how to beadweave for the first time. Once you understand the stitches, it will be easier for you to design a project from the ground up. 

I agree with the above suggestion of finding a leather case that works for your slider phone, and decorating that. You will have a design freedom with this technique that some of the others like brick, square, and peyote can't give you - think of the great swarovskis or cabochons that you can use this way! And, the technical problem of the sliding element will already be solved, since the case would be made to fit your phone specifically.

Or - you can buy a case and cut the stitches apart to see how its made, and what shape the pieces of the cover are and how its put together. This would give you a starting point if you are set on creating the case completely from beads.

Good luck, and post a picture for us when you have it together! :)

m

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 126
crookshanks wrote
on Aug 3, 2008 8:47 AM

Thanx for all the suggestions! Um...how do you decorate a premade cover with beads? (OK I know thats everybody except me knows) Like, do you glue them on or what...?

Also I had an idea from that: Could I get a premade cover and then do the beaded one seperate so it can fit over it if that makes sense - and will that look really tacky and bad or not? 

All advice and suggestions and thanx so much for your help!

wrote
on Aug 4, 2008 7:09 AM

Yes, you would want to glue them on.  I'm thinking one of the rubber skins would probably work the best for that, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.  You could really decorate anything you wanted as long as you have the right glue for the surface you're decorating. 

You could also try beading over an existing cover, and then either stitch or glue it in place.  At least then you could take the cover off the phone and it would be easy to work with.  If you're going that route, I'd look for the thinnest cover you can find so the phone isn't too bulky after you're done.

That is a pretty ambitious project.  You're like me-diving in at the deep end and coming up with the most challenging thing you can think of to start with!  I would try a few of the stitches and see what you're comfortable with before you start.  Try doing a couple of samples, and learn how to do increases & decreases of each stitch so you have the general idea.  Then as long as you're not afraid to experiment and make mistakes, go for it!  As long as your family doesn't mind breathing blue air for a while, that is...Zip it!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Barbstime wrote
on Aug 17, 2013 4:50 PM

I would like to bead a cover for my smart phone. I have a razor. Is there such a thing as a form that I can purchase to bead on.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Aug 17, 2013 7:18 PM

I beaded a cover for my older Razr, but made it a bit big because I needed to fit a liner in it. I wanted to keep it as thin as possible, so I measured the distance around and divided it by 2, then measured the length along the longer length and added about a half inch for overlap. I used an existing pattern that I bought for a bracelet and just added to the pattern. I loomed it in one piece and made a fold on the bottom, stitched up the sides and put a loop on the front and ran a large stone talon through the loop to hold it closed. I made the liner (I figured that beads would scrape the front face of the phone) out of an extra piece of microfiber left over from an upholstering job and put the soft surface inward. Now I have a newer Razr and I'm glad I left some leeway as this one is both thicker and longer than the other one. So you can just go at it that way, no matter what stitch you chose to do it in, but I prefer either loomed or square stitched for something that will get handled and used as much as a phone cover. DMZ

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS