How do you price???

This post has 91 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Oct 9, 2008 9:11 AM

A side step on this one .... how do you charge friends or even family...
sure you can make them gifts but if they "order" something you have to make (but dont want to) you kinda want some money back for stuff used  

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,235
popnicute wrote
on Oct 9, 2008 9:47 AM

i usually lower my price for friends and family who i'm close with. who gives the hell care for acquintances? XD

think as give them the "wholesale" price instead of the "retail" price.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Oct 9, 2008 9:58 AM

For close family that orders ( my mom, nieces )  I will basically charge them just for the cost of the items. I don't really make anything for my time, however, I do simple stringing so I don't usually have very much time involved. Something like weaving etc would definitely be different, unless they are not in a hurry and you work on it at your leisure. Then you can take 6 months to complete it right? lol

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Oct 9, 2008 10:06 AM

i think i need to print this and have my mum read ... cause she refuese to pay ... cause i owe her enough for the years she "helped" me grow up

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,235
popnicute wrote
on Oct 9, 2008 10:18 AM

lol. that's moms for you xD

*i gave birth to you so you owe me your life!*

my mom sometimes pay, sometimes not :P

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Oct 9, 2008 10:39 AM

I think it's like any job, you have a love hate relationship with it. You may love to bead but hate being under the gun to get something done for someone because someone ordered it. I look at my selling my jewelry as my second job. My Mom I never charge. But sisters and such I charge just for expenses. Friends and going outward to complete strangers I charge for the expenses and my time. People love beaded work and love it when it's done right so if a piece will take me a weekend to complete. I charge accordingly. It depends because you dont want to out price yourself from the sale. Depending on the piece $10.00 for basic string items simple earrings and such The price goes up as it becomes more involved. Your time is your money. You are proud of your work and you should be compensated. I cant say I have never cut a price. I have. I hope that helps. I know people that set up a per hour charge. They put into their price equal to their time worked. Go to craft shows see what they charge. Talk to them. Sometimes they will help you out. Then depending on your level of skill adjust accordingly.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Oct 9, 2008 11:00 AM

Well my mum is funny ... she gets some cheap candle decoration or other things (that screams plactic) so I can "cut up and use" ... and then she expect me to use my "good beads" to make her something back ...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
troll3 wrote
on Oct 9, 2008 12:52 PM

I've only sold for family and friends so far... I do give them "discount", maybe even a bit too much (I get a hang-over from taking money from people...). Then again, they sometimes pay me more than I've asked, maybe because most of them do or have done some kind of craft themselves, and value both handcrafted and unique items. Nobody's ever tried to get anything for free, even my mom has bought a couple of pieces from me. Of course I have given quite a few pieces as presents, I would give them all as presents, if I had the money. I've only made three commissioned pieces, and spent alot of time on them, because they were specially designed, but I loved doing them, otherwise I wouldn't have done them at all. I like the challenge and it feels so good, if someone trusts me enough to order something they haven't seen.

- Kirsi

The Troll and The Fairy - website for me and my sister with galleries

Peikonpesä (A Trolls nest) - my blog with the newest pieces

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Julia.nocita wrote
on Oct 9, 2008 12:59 PM

I finally gave up trying to figure out how to price for myself and bought that Jewelry Designer Manager software.  It takes a little bit of patience to enter your parts information, but after you've done that it is really easy to price out a piece.  Just be sure to keep track of the time it took you to make it.  I think that I am pricing my jewelry realistically now.

-Julia, Juli's Jewels

wrote
on Oct 10, 2008 2:33 AM

Yes, I'd really love to have that software, but I'm afraid it would take me 10 years to enter all my beads into the inventory!

For family I usually give lots of things as gifts, but if they ask me to make something specifically I mostly just ask for the materials cost.  If it's for a gift for one of their friends, I charge regular prices, and they're fine with that.  They understand I'm trying to make a business out of it.  I do give them some of my business cards and ask them to give them to people who ask about their jewelry though!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 214
Silverior wrote
on Oct 10, 2008 7:08 AM

My friends and my families usually interested for the stuff inside our refrigerator and not pay much attention on our jewelries stock so we dont have to give them any discount :-))

Not Ranked
Posts 5
KLDesigns wrote
on Nov 22, 2008 12:54 AM

I agree, I have seen some jewelry waaay overpriced! I found a necklace in which I had 90% of the same exact beads, and so I know what the cost would have been approximately at least, and my calculations even being genourous to myself, would have only been like 50 bucks tops, but this gal was charging 190 dollars! I could not believe it! It was made with a little bit of swarovski, some glass, and a few sterling spacers that werent very big and they werent used thru the whole necklace, I was totally shocked and to top it off, the picture wasnt the greatest, and the description needed to be much more detailed! People amaze me! Or should I say make me laugh?

Beads are not a neccesity, but something I can not live without!!!

Have a beadiful day!

Kim

Not Ranked
Posts 5
KLDesigns wrote
on Nov 22, 2008 1:02 AM

to be honest, if it takes you 8 hours to make, even though it costs only a few bucks, I could see it going for at least 20 dollars each, maybe even 30. But that is just my opinion, These other artists that charge like 200 bucks (and none are well known that I know of, at least Ive never heard of their names before) for a single strand necklace that probabaly took 30 minutes max to make, and there is nothing really special about the beads they use, are the ones that are being riduculous. Don't cheat yourself totally, if someone complains about the price, mention that it takes you 8 hours to make just one, That SHOULD shut them up! They should then appreciate the piece more and want it even more.....Again just my opinion!

Beads are not a neccesity, but something I can not live without!!!

Have a beadiful day!

Kim

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Nov 22, 2008 7:47 AM

KLDesigns,

This is my 2 cents worth on the subject.

I agree and disagree with you. I think if a peice is just strung and it takes you less than an hour you should charge by taking your cost and multiply it by 2.5 or 3 to get a price for retail. You do need to make a profit. After all if were not trying to make a profit why are we selling our product? Now I am sorry if what I am about to say offends you or anyone one else.

Now  this is where I disagree with you. If an item takes me say 8 hours to make after spending several hours designing it I would be out if I only charged $20 for it. I have spent as little as $10 dollars on seed beads to make a necklace that took me two days to make working 8 hours a day. Now if I would only charge say $40 dollars (8 hours = $20) I for one wasted alot of time and I wouldn't show in my price my self esteem in my design. Before I retired from the work force I made $17.85 an hour so I figure my time is worth more than $20. for 8 hours that would equate to $2.50 an hour. That is way under even minimum wage and you have to admit you would not agree to work for those wages and neither would I.  And I really wouldn't expect anyone else to either. Even if you don't think a piece is worth the piece take in to consideration the time the person has spend on design shopping for the right beads and the time it took to make. You never want to under sell yourself or your jewelry designs after all the price speaks loadly of your self esteem

It is really alot of work to put together some of the jewelry you may think is not worth the price. But as an jewelry artist I tend to disagree. Everthing has a price and it may or not be worth it to you but it is to someone.

Off my soapbox now. Big Smile

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,235
popnicute wrote
on Nov 22, 2008 9:26 PM

for something that took me 8 hours to make, i wouldn't sell it under $160. i charge $10/hour to this date :B but for family i only charge the time and materials without doubling them. so if the piece was 2 hours to make, i'd charge family $20 + material. sometimes i'd double the price of the materials alone because i need to restocking too :D

Page 3 of 7 (92 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS