Inventory spreadsheet

This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 563
kareng915 wrote
on Jun 2, 2011 2:17 AM

I have created an Excel spreadsheet that I use for tracking my beading inventory.  It is broken down into seven separate worksheets: 1-seed beads, 2-glass and crystal, 3-natural stones, 4-metal wood nuts, 5-findings, 6-tools and misc, 7-cost summary.  You can enter color/size/shape/vender/pkg size/cost/etc..  It will calculate  cost for multiple quantities, and keep a running total for each worksheet.  This running total is linked to the summary page to give you a total cost of your inventory. 

I find this spreadsheet very useful, because you can sort each page by any column... size, color, etc., making it easy to see what inventory you have without going thru your actual product (I always get distracted by all the pretty beads when I have to do that!)   It is also handy for re-ordering; the vendor and cost are entered for each item.

Now that I've told you about this.. my question.. is this saleable?  I was thinking a cost of $25 for the ready to use spreadsheet.  Is that too high? too low?  Is anyone interested? 

thanks for any feedback.

karen  ~  BeadDelirium    blog  |  artfire 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 188
LisaS21 wrote
on Jun 2, 2011 3:32 PM

Hi Karen, I have read comments from a few people on the forums using basic quickbooks saying inventory detail and reporting was not adequate.  Perhaps your spreadsheet would be helpful for some quickbooks users.  Really can't tell you more since I don't use quickbooks myself.  I track all my expenses on Excel and prefer to keep my per item inventory cost data on the bags that I store my materials in. I just track overall inventory expense and the itemized detail does not show up until it is work in process.

Hope that helps! Smile Lisa

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 150
mosshollow1 wrote
on Jun 17, 2011 6:55 AM

Hi Karen,

You might be able to find a market for this, but I sort of doubt it. It's not difficult to set up the sheets you describe  Yes it takes time, but in the overall scheme of things it's relatively easy.  And because it's easy, most will want to customize their pages to their specific needs.

And, speaking strictly for my own needs, I have to bite the bullet and pony up the $$ for a program that will accept bar codes and has a scanner.

Probably not what you wanted to hear,

Anne

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 563
kareng915 wrote
on Jun 17, 2011 2:31 PM

Thanks Anne,  :)  that is kind of what I thought, but figured I'd throw it out there and see.   With the lack of responce on this post, I figured it wasn't a popular idea.  Appreciate the feedback from you and Lisa.

karen  ~  BeadDelirium    blog  |  artfire 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 150
mosshollow1 wrote
on Jun 18, 2011 6:16 AM

Quickbooks is an EXCELLENT program, and if you invest the time to use all it offers, it's perfect for inventory tracking and all the other accounting issues a small business needs to address.  (I used early versions of it when I owned a restaurant because it has the ability to issue payroll checks).  But, it is expensive in many ways including cost to purchase, time to set-up properly, and time invested in the learning curve.  I wouldn't recommend it for the casual business owner.

A true add advantage to Quickbooks is that many professional accountants also use it so tax time becomes a breeze.  I've been lusting after the new, improved version for quite some time but just know that I don't have the time to invest it getting it set up just now. :0(

Anne

Not Ranked
Posts 1
calston wrote
on Mar 24, 2014 4:57 AM

Hello andi thanks in advance

My name is Cathy Alston.  I have been making jewelry for a while and looking for an inventory for my beads.  

CurrentlyI am buying my beads from local retailers while they are on sale in hopes of still making a profit.  

This is my question. Do you know if a way or program that I can use that will allow me to scan in my tags that I leave on my bead strand and import that information into the program?  I am not trying to use their UPC bar as my final product. I just need a way of getting the vendor name, strand price,  gemstone name and size.

I can count the beads and photograph them into the inventory.  I have between 900-1000 stands 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS