Leather bracelet -HELP!!

This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 8
LyndyLou wrote
on Jul 31, 2008 11:33 AM

I have a friend that is getting married soon; and she wants me to bead/weave a set of leather bracelets for her and her husband-to-be to exchange because their rings will not be ready for the ceremony. I have no experience with using leather except braiding. Please give any advice, suggestions, and tips that you have. All my thanks to anyone who can help me.

LyndyLou

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 31, 2008 7:05 PM

Sorry that I don't have any advice for you but I know that Billy will have some. He usually posts every day but I haven't seen anything yesterday or today. I am sure that as soon as he sees this he will be able to give you some great advice.

wrote
on Aug 1, 2008 12:12 AM

Are they wanting cuff bracelets, or just leather cord with beads strung on it?  You could make a nice braided or knotted cord with some beads strung randomly along the cords as accents, and match the colors to their wedding colors.

For a cuff, there are multiple ways.  You can either stitch onto thin leather and then use a cuff blank and sew or glue the leather onto the blank, or you could do the same and stitch it to a thicker piece of leather and then add snaps or another clasp.  You could also stitch a peyote or other stitched pattern, and then sew it onto the leather and finish.

I haven't done much stitching on leather either, this is just what popped into my head when I read your post.  Hope that's a bit of inspiration at least.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Aug 1, 2008 12:56 AM

Hi!

You could also use a leather string or cord for closure. Just punch some holes in the ends of the leather strip and put the cord through like shoelaces. If you have a loom, you could weave a piece and later sew it on leather.

And one advice for the leather: don't take a thick and hard leather if you stitch directly on it. Otherwise it will be torture. Jeni and I discussed this problem elsewhere. If the needle is thin enough to pass through the beads, it is not strong enough to pass through thick leather.

Hope this helps!

Dagmar

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 1, 2008 4:35 AM

First off,  I thank those who think that my posts/replies are worth reading. That means a LOT. Noticing that I wasn't here does too! Thank you.

With so little detail and me not knowing the happy couple, there's not a lot of advice to offer really. I'll see what I can do.

You can go to any leather goods store and get a couple of pieces of thick strapping like a belt and you can hook it by lacing, conventional snaps, a buckle, or by velcro even. You can get the hardware for all 3 at Wal Mart. You may have to go to the sporting goods section, where the tents are for the snaps.You can loom a design, then attach to the thick piece by gluing or stitching it down. I recently did some beading on a thin piece of jacket leather and it was not easy at all, so don't even attempt to bead on thick stuff.

You can get a piece of clothing leather and stitch directly to it, but it does wear on the fingers and you will break needles like there is no tomorrow, but it can be done. After that you can finish off the inside with another piece of leather or some other material to cover up any stitchery.

You can get some leather lacing and big-holed beads and macrame them something nice. You can get the lacing almost anywhere in a wide variety of colors and it is not very expensive either. You can even get the round 'thong' type of lacing at most craft stores either in short lengths or in rolls. This looks good when mixed with colorful waxed cotton, linen, or even silk cording. It softens the harshness of natural hemp and gives it a bit of class. Macrame isn't just for hippies anymore.

You can do a 5 or 7 strand flat braid  to get some width, adding beads along and along as you go. This would be better if the strands were a little bit wider than the lacing, but then that would muck up the adding of beads.

You could also do a very loose flat leather weave and add a wire with beads spaced out to fit the holes in the weave and that would sparkle and stiffen it up at the same time. 

Okay, I'm tapped. Maybe you can make some sense of this gibberish. *laughz* You can even mix and match to come up with something totally different too.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 1, 2008 4:38 AM

I also apologize for repeating anyone's tips, I only had the main one up and I couldn't see what everyone else had already written. Sorry about that. Embarrassed

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Aug 2, 2008 8:11 AM

Glover's needles are used to stitch through leather.  Don't know why they couldn't be used to punch holes for your beading needles to go through, or maybe you could use an awl.  FMG used to handle glover's needles, haven't looked for any lately.

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Aug 2, 2008 4:25 PM

I just looked in my 2007-2008 FMG Comprehensive catalog, p1173, lower left corner:

Leather needles, size #10,  25/pkg, 1-1/4" long,  order number A21-1032BS,  $9.43 for 1 pkg.

If you look on-line in the 2008 - 2009 comprehensive catalog, use the index for needles and look at all listed pages.  (The order number   **-1032BS should be the same, but probably not A21.)

Hope this helps you.

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 126
crookshanks wrote
on Aug 3, 2008 9:21 AM

Um I had an idea that you could use...I haven't done this before but it might work: Braid three leathercords loosely so that you can see them interlap rather than make a thick cord (if that makes sense) and then connect where the leather makes Xs in the braiding with eyepins on which you can string beads.

I was thinking of Swarovskis...

Also, you can use those Swarovski gem-like two sided charm things (idk what they're called - I used them in my Blue Swarovski Dangles in my gallery) which you can attatch with jump rings (so that it stays straight).

Hope I helped!!

Cool  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,307
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Aug 3, 2008 11:35 AM

I have some leather needles that I bought at Jo-anns. I used them to sew buttons onto my letter coat. They are very sharp almost like a knife at the point. They are that way in order to penetrate the leather.

If you don't have a Jo-anns near by any place that sells fabric should carry them. Like Wal-Marts or Hobby Lobby. I think even Michael's may carry them in the department where they have leater crafts.

Just my 2cents worth.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
LyndyLou wrote
on Aug 12, 2008 9:16 AM

Thank ya'll for your advice. You have given me many great ideas that I'm sure I can use. Thanks again!

LyndyLou

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS