Computer Virus

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on May 31, 2011 7:01 AM

I have a computer virus on my home computer. I got a guy to come take it to fix it but then the storms hit and he was without power for a week. Hopefully it is fixable and I will get it back this week. However, I am able to check and post a little from work as I have a little time. 

So I am still quickly checking in but wanted everyone to know in case I am slow to respond. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 250
Claudette48 wrote
on May 31, 2011 10:57 AM

Good luck with your computer.  Hate them love them - sometimes in the same moment!

I just went through the same thing.  A virus had attached itself to an existing file and we couldn't find it no matter what we did so we ended up after to clear everything and reload.  Thank God I was able to save all of my files and only lost a few programs.

I got an E Mail from a friend asking for money because all her credit cards were stolen while she was on vacation.  She hadn't told me that she was going on vacation, so I called her first - thank God.  Somebody had hacked into her extensive E Mail list and it looked like it came from her, but didn't and the money was supposed to be sent to her hotel in care of her.  Scarey.  Good thing I called.

Claudette

amagnetaday

Claudette

Tip: To stop metal findings from tarnishing store in a ZIP Lock bag with a chunk of chalk.

amagnetaday

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on May 31, 2011 12:15 PM

Yes, same thing happened to a friend. She got an email, luckily they knew this person was not traveling. When my friend called that is when they realized they had been hacked. Mine is the Essential Cleaner Virus. It makes it look like you have viruses so you will put in your credit card number to buy the fix. Then they sell your credit card number to everyone...So Hate Those people!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 588
NicoleT24 wrote
on Jun 1, 2011 7:21 PM

One of the ways to avoid those Fake Virus infections, which can be bad, is to have your computer guy set up some new profiles on your computer for you. One profile for everyday use that won't allow you to install a program. It sounds like a pain, but it's worth it. This is known as running in LUA (least user access) mode, then have him set up another account/profile with administrator rights that you only use when you need to install an update or programs.

If you run under a LUA account and contract one of these dreadful little buggers, the only thing it can infect is your temporary files or your AppData folder.It makes it SO much easier to clean up if you do get one. In fact, I got one the other day even running as LUA, but it look me literally 3 minutes to clean up because the infection couldnt spread any further than my temporary internet files folder :)

Your computer geek who's working on your system now will know what I mean :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jun 2, 2011 5:21 AM

I am already saving for a Mac. We have them at work and I love it!!

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on Jul 30, 2011 2:05 AM

Hi,Sheila H.,newbie here. I'm glad to come across someone else with a Mac. I have an old G4, but it does all that I need it for and much more. I know how to use a computer, but i'm lost with all the bytes and gigabyte and applications and program jargon.

Anyway, just wanted to say that a few weeks ago I got a pop-up ad for a Mac Cleaner to wipe out viruses. I immediately downloaded it, then  went to Apple to see if it was legit. I came across a lot of messages about it not being legit. So glad I checked. But although I didn't open it, I wonder if i may still be infected bec my computer is running slower than ever, even though I copied and deleted a lot of pictures and things that were on it. 

Do you think I am infected?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS