HELP! It was supposed to...

This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
BrookeM@6 wrote
on Jul 30, 2008 5:42 AM

The glue I just purchased (made for jewelry projects) is supposed to dry crystal clear. I used it last night to reinforce some knots in my beadwork, but to my horror, this morning I noticed it had dried leaving a chalky residue behind on the surrounding beads!! Is there anything I can use to get this off?!? Please tell me I didn't destroy my beautiful bracelet. I will cry! 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 126
crookshanks wrote
on Jul 30, 2008 8:54 AM

Maybe an isopropyl alcohol swab? IDK, but if I had that problem that is what I would try...  Sry I couldn't help more!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 30, 2008 12:23 PM

I don't know but is it possible that is will still dry clear? Is it that it had dried but not completely cured or whatever term they use. Will it turn clear by tomorrow morning? 

I don't know. Just a shot in the dark so to speak. I don't know what would take it off the beads as I would be afraid that it would damage the beads. My first thought was like a finger nail polish remover but I would be concerned that would damage the beads. 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
BlueMermaid wrote
on Jul 30, 2008 7:34 PM

What kind of glue was it? Depending on what it's formula is, there should be a specific chemical that would remove it. Can you contact the manufacturer? What kind of beads exactly did you use? They may or may not have a permanent finish.

The other thing that might possibly work would be to cut it off with an exacto knife. I would look at the area that is glued with a high power magnifier (a loupe if you have it) under a strong light. Then you can see exactly where the glue flowed and if it's bunched up on top or what. If you try this or any kind of chemical remover, make a sample piece like your bracelet and try to duplicate the glued area, then use your method of removal on the sample first to experience what happens.

If that doesn't sound good, can you bead over it something like a flower or leaf or whatever is pleasing to the design of the piece?

Do let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
MichelleG@56 wrote
on Jul 31, 2008 7:01 PM

White chalky residue is almost certainly from something with cyanoacrylate in it -

In the future, I recomment GS Hypo Cement. It does indeed dry clear, has a very fine applicator tip, and is a favoite staple of mine for all beading projects! :)

Take a few spare beads (not on your project), apply the glue and let dry. Then on each one, test some of the following:

*paint over the glue spot with clear nailpolish

* go over the spot with future floor finish - its a clear floor polish loved by polymer clay enthusiasts that will also dry clear

*try nail polish remover

*try baking soda and water paste to see if it scrubs off

best of luck! :( sorry about your project troubles...

m

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS