How to secure elastic?

This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 15
on Jul 28, 2008 11:51 AM

I am just starting to use elastic to string necklaces and bracelets.  I successfully finished a shell necklace and secured the knot w/some bead glue as suggested by a co-worker.  However, when I went to do the same for a bracelet it came apart even after letting it dry for 24 hours.  If anyone has some suggestions on how to secure elastic w/o using crimps and hooks that would be great (unless there is no other alternative)Smile

Thanks,

Stephanie

I teach for a living what's your super power?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 28, 2008 12:38 PM

I always use a crimp. Depending on the size of the bead, you can crimp and then hide it inside a bead. It may not stay there, but that is what I do. If you can't hide it, you can always use a cover. 

There are some great postings about crimping if you scroll thru ( if you need help on the crimping part ). 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 55
Mortira wrote
on Jul 28, 2008 3:31 PM

By elastic, do you mean stretch cord?  If you're not doing it already, two over hand knots is the best way to secure the ends, as long as the adjacent bead is large enough to hide the knot.

Make sure you have about 3 inches or more of cord more than the finished length of the item.  Tie a loose overhand knot, then place a darning needle or other narrow tube into the knot and push it down as close to the beads as possible.  Tighten the knot, remove the needle and pull once more on the cord ends to tighten.  Tie a second knot the same way if you can.  Then add glue, and pull one of the adjacent beads over the knots.  They will dry inside the bead, and should stay put for as long as the cord itself lasts.

Hope this helps!

Morti

Inspirational Beading - tutorials, bead spotlights and plenty of inspiration!

Not Ranked
Posts 15
on Jul 28, 2008 5:28 PM

Yes, I meant stretch cord.  I will have to give that a try with my next project thanks!

I teach for a living what's your super power?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 55
Mortira wrote
on Jul 28, 2008 7:48 PM

No problem!  Big Smile

Morti

Inspirational Beading - tutorials, bead spotlights and plenty of inspiration!

Not Ranked
Posts 12
NitzaA wrote
on Jul 29, 2008 1:01 PM

The best is use the "surgeon knot" (?) for the elastic knot. It is true you need a bead that conceals the knot inside it. The use of a crimp with time will cut the elastic. Hope it help.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Aug 4, 2008 3:11 PM

NitzaA:

The best is use the "surgeon knot" (?) for the elastic knot. It is true you need a bead that conceals the knot inside it. The use of a crimp with time will cut the elastic. Hope it help.

I can't ever get a surgeon's knot to hold, no matter how tightly I tie it. I had a customer show me what Billy calls a "double" surgeon's knot and that's all I ever use for stretch nowadays. I've never had one of those knots come out - even without adding glue. The problem is - if you are using stretch that is larger than maybe .6 mm, you have a big ol' honkin' knot to cover, or hide. But you could probably use crimp covers to do that - sheesh, I answered my own problem! :-)

Deb - AZ Bead Depot

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 1
SueB@94 wrote
on Nov 9, 2009 5:54 PM

HI Stephanie-

I have used this technique for elastic for about 3 years; no glue, crimps, or hooks.

After you finishing beading your project no matter what it is, you take both ends of the elastic pull it tight then tie it like you would tie a ballon get the knot as close to the end of the beads as possible even if you have to use tweezers or something to pull that knot as close as possible, then pull both ends opposite each other so it knots, don't pull to tight or your elastic with break, then do a over and under tie, and pull tight again, then thats it. Try it let me know how it works for you, I use .7 or .8mm string nothing less than that.  It will take you a few times to get the hang of it.

Sue

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on Nov 9, 2009 6:26 PM

I make TONS of stretch cord bracelets, and always use the surgeons knot for .6 and smaller, or the double surgeons knot for .8 and larger. haven't ever had a knot fail, though after about a year of steady wear, the cord DOES weaken due to the body's natural oils.

Lois

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Nov 10, 2009 6:30 PM

I either get the knot too close and that makes the bracelet too tight or it's too far and then I have a gap. I have discovered that I can use a large crimp cover to go over the knot and if I have extra space, I'll use crimp covers to make beads to fill in the gaps.

I have gotten better with stretch bracelets, but I really cringe when someone comes into the store with one that they paid upwards of $40 for with Swarovskis and good stones. I warn them to keep an eye on the bracelet, because it WILL break, Thank goodenss I don't have to make many of them.

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,248
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Nov 11, 2009 5:41 AM

Hi SueB,

I want to be first to welcome you to the BD family. We are a fun group that love to help others with all beading questions. I am glad you jumped right in to help a fellow beader. You will fit right in. I hope you enjoy yourself here. We do alot of fun swaps, so stick around and join in all the fun and friendship here. Ihave to tell you though that this fourm is as addictive as beading itself.

As you may notice that  SueB is also the name I use here. It may get very confusing with both of us using the same name. Is it possible to change your user name?

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,248
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Nov 11, 2009 5:55 AM

Deb, you mentioned Swarovskis stretch bracelets. Well I was in a Department store last night finishing up my Great grandkids Christmas gifts. It was $60.00 no silver just Swarovskis and seed beads. I really couldn't believe the price. I counted the number of 6mm bicones as 14 and 18 4mm. Last year I had a couple of tennis bracelets that I made with 14kt delicas 42 4mm bicones and sterling silver clasps and I had a hard time selling them for $30. I know people will scarf up those bracelets at the store without even a second thought, but at a craft show they expect to get everything for a buck or two. Just can't figure people out.

Now to answer the question at hand. What I do is make a surgeons knot pulling as tight as possible, dotting it with clear nail polish and stretching it until the knot slips into a bead. I have made lots like this with no problems.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
cclarraine wrote
on Feb 10, 2010 9:57 AM

thats so  true. I gave a price of 50 dollars to a woman for some crystal lamp ear rings (that are a pain to make, but are so pretty) and her response was ...are you kidding me, I can get them at KAYS for 80! ......of course mine should be almost free since I don't by in bulk, but make carefully by hand. 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS