Terminator Beads

This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 11
RosemaryL@8 Hmm [^o)] wrote
on Jul 28, 2008 6:40 AM

Does anyone know how to thread terminator beads?  My friend has given me some of her broken stretch bracelets to fix.  There's one larger bead which has three holes, the two thread ends go into the two holes which are opposite each other, and then come up together in the centre hole to go through another bead and finished off with a knot - How on earth is it done?   

I've tried threading a loop of beading wire into the centre hole to catch the two ends, but it doesn't work with the thicker elastic cords which the broken bracelets were originally threaded on. 

And when that's been figured out, does anyone know where to get these beads if I'm crazy enough to want to use them in making my own stretch bracelets?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 28, 2008 10:26 AM

I don't know if you have tried using a needle to maybe be able to guide the cord through the way you want. I have never used this particular style bead myself, but I have gone from a two strand into a single bead, same idea sort of? 

I would try that, some of the beading needles are long and thin but have almost the entire thing as an eye, if that makes sense. 

At lease that would be my thought and first try...

Not Ranked
Posts 11
RosemaryL@8 wrote
on Jul 29, 2008 3:42 AM

Thanks Sheila!

In this type of beads the holes  are in a 'T' shape, so a threading needle would have to be able to go around a 90 degree turn!  

Seems to be a 'knotty' problem!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 29, 2008 5:30 AM

How about a small curved leather/upholstery needle?

I bought several very old Cats-Eye bead bracelets from an old five and dime for less than $1 each a few weeks ago and they each had one of those stupid beads on them. There was also another bead beyond the "T" and you pulled the stretch cord with the bead through the "T" to tighten it up should it be too big or something, I guess.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 29, 2008 10:40 AM

How about a piece of wire, that you bend the way you need it? You can attach one end to the thread and try to pass the other through the hole. Maybe this works. I didn't try it, because fortunately my stretch bracelets with these beads are not broken. Wink

Dagmar

Not Ranked
Posts 12
NitzaA wrote
on Jul 29, 2008 12:34 PM

I can't figure in my mind what is that. Can you post  picture for us to see?

Not Ranked
Posts 11
RosemaryL@8 wrote
on Jul 31, 2008 9:08 AM

Here's what these stretch bracelets look like. The threads go into the large round bead and up through a central hole into the pointy bead, and then they get knotted.  Imagine the holes inside the bead are shaped like a T.  Does this help? 

Not Ranked
Posts 10
MichelleG@56 wrote
on Jul 31, 2008 6:47 PM

Did you try using a short piece of tiger tail? Its pretty flexile and should go around that 90 degree bend. Also, you can get beaging needles that are about 3 inches long, and they are like very fine wire twisted together with a very big eye. You can get those right in a Michael's or Joanne's or AC Moore's.

Good luck!
m

Not Ranked
Posts 11
RosemaryL@8 wrote
on Aug 1, 2008 5:33 AM

SmileThank you all for your suggestions, I'm going to try them asap! 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 2, 2008 3:25 PM

I found the answer for you. Go too your local dollar stone and find a battery operated keyboard vaccuum. The one I have, I got for a dollar. Anyway, put the side hole over the end of the vaccuum and cover one side while letting the cord suck up into the other. The put your finger over the side with the cord already in it and let the vaccuum suck the other one in.

I can't take credit it for this one though, I saw it on a show on the Discovery channel about pulling huge electrical cables through conduits across great distances. I scratched my head a minute then went and got one of the beads and a piece of stretch cord that came with one of those 'kits' that I buy and never put together. It took a little wiggling and feeding on the second cord, but the first one went all the way in all by itself.

Good luck finding one of the little vaccuums, that will be the task.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Not Ranked
Posts 11
RosemaryL@8 wrote
on Aug 3, 2008 9:11 AM

Wow!  That's ingenious!!!!  And amazing, I'll try it as soon as I can lay my hands on one of thos little vacuums.

Thanks a bunch.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Aug 3, 2008 1:44 PM

Thinking about Billy's suggestion and the secondary issue of finding one of the little vacuums . . . how about canned air?  The stuff we get to blow the dust off the keyboard.  Probably easier to find and it would work on the same concept of using air to force your thread through the hole.  Might work pretty well if you use the little straw nozzle it comes with (like what comes with WD40), you can direct the air more precisely through the hole.

Rosemary, let us know what you try and what does finally work out.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
crafty-cat wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 4:04 PM

I've just bought a kids beading book ( for $5 :) ) that has an easy way to deal with these. They call them "T" beads.

First, make a small loop of wire that will fit in the 'l' of the 'T'. Once that is in place with the loop inside the bead, you then run your needle with thread on thru the top of the 'T' and thru the loop, then pull in the wire and the thread you've just "threaded" thru the loop will come out the other hole!

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers

cat

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Aug 6, 2008 7:01 PM

That is SO simple, I'm surprised that none of us thought of it!  Thanks so much for letting us know, Cat.

Happy Day!!   Paradise

Not Ranked
Posts 11
RosemaryL@8 wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 7:03 AM

Thanks Cat - this confirms the way I figured out how to do it, but I thought 'there must be an easier way of doing this'!!!!!  It's pretty easy as long as the elastic thread isn't too thick, because you have to get the knot through the bead hole as well.

Many thanks to you all for all the ingenious suggestions.

Rosemary

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS