Patent Steps

This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on May 16, 2011 11:01 AM

Ok, so I had this thought and think it has some merit. I am going to have to do some research and see if it is something that would be worth a patent. From the little bit I have read on the website, a patent is what I would be looking at. 

I know that I would have to have drawings etc to file the forms. Does anyone here have any experience with filing for patents that would be willing to give me some practical advice? I know I can search to see if this has been done but from the quick search I did at lunch, it hasn't been. 

The website recommends a patent attorney, but I really hate to go to that expense if it isn't really necessary. My idea is a new way of attaching something. The two pieces are already in existence and already together, but this would be a new way. 

So I am thinking that I need to work up samples of these and that may be the hard part for me. But I am willing to do some testing before I do the paperwork to see if it is practical. 

Thanks for any input and advice!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,505
D.M.Z wrote
on May 16, 2011 12:41 PM

Sheila, not often I can contribute, but here goes. Oh, by the way I am not a patent attorney, nor do I play one on TV, but I have a lot of experience working with a person who did a LOT of patents and I typed them up and he educated me to a large extent so I could catch mistakes by either one of us in the process.

First, if both components are on the market right now.........you would first check to see if  your "new" method isn't actually listed on the patent for each one of the components. A good solid unbreakable patent will list ALL the possible and practical uses of the item. I am sort of in the dark here as I don't know what components you are dealing with, but this is just basics.

If  you can find the origin of the "parts" look them up and read through the patents on each one. Most of this can be done online and again, mostly for free. Would either of the parts have a patent number on it? Or on the packaging it came with? That would make it easier to find the actual patent. If  you cannot fine it, before you start the process it would be worth a half hour of time with an attorney, or maybe it would be a freebie for him/her to look up the existing patent.Writing the actual patent is something you want done right (equals "professional") if you are serious about making and protecting your invention.

If the two pieces are already in production, your patent will only be for the "new connection" whatever part that amounts to. I don't believe you can use the existing parts in your patent, only your new part.

Donna, now retired and darn glad of it.....LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on May 16, 2011 1:40 PM

Donna - Thanks for the info! After searching some more with different phases for this "connection" I have found things that are similar. It is all going to depend on how it is connected. I think it is out there but not necessarily  for the use that I intended...if that makes sense. 

I am going to do some more research over the next week before I get too far into making this. Although, I think this is a great idea and would sell, I can't believe that it isn't out there on the net...

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS