Dealing with the mess that is paperwork and beading on the go

This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 27, 2008 6:22 AM

It's a tufer tip! Yes folks, you get 2 for the price of 1. Big Smile Now, on to the tips!

I have quite a few tutorials and projectss printed up now and it was all getting to be a jumbled mess. I do staple the pages of multipage projects together, but even at that rate, I still have an inch(or more) of loose paperwork all in one stack and I have even printed up duplicates of something because I had already printed them out once, but could not find it in the mess.

I was in the so-called craft department at Fred's picking up a sketchpad and some colored pencils and saw this little 3 holed press punch for adding non-holed paper into 3 ring binders. I had a huge brainstorm that all but gave me a headache. *laughz* It was like 2 bucks, so I snatched it, a 1 1/2 inch 3 ring binder, and a pack of page dividers.

When I got home, I grabbed up my stack of paperwork and seperated it into Tutorials, Beading Projects, Wire Projects, Knotting Projects, and Templates. Then I sat there for an hour and a half punching all of those holes and putting each page where it should be. I like it now. I can just pick up the book and flip through to the page I want and it will lay open flat, making it much easier to deal with.

Another brainwave hit me as I was putting the holes in an actual pattern page. I have a lot of old mags and comics in vinyl sleeves in binders, so you can actually put patterns in these sleeves and use a dry erase marker to mark off line by line as you go. I saw that dry erase marker part in another post so I kind of snaked that part(thanks CathiKBig Smile) and added it to this.

I have a lot of beads(especially seeds) in little 2"x3" baggies and I was thinking that for beading on the go, one idea that I had is to place those little baggies and small thread spools into the pockets of 9 compartment collector card holder sheets and then you can carry it all with you. Sadly, wire spools will not fit into those pockets, but you can unroll as much as you want/need off of the spool and then roll it up flat and stick it in a pocket.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 27, 2008 9:57 AM

I wonder if you got one of the vinyl pages with bigger pockets ( like for 4X6 photos ) you might be able to fit a small spool of wire, depending on the size of the spool. Even if you had to wind what you needed on a piece of cardboard to fit it there. In Wal-Mart beading section there was a vinyl bag that had a zipper that was like a 9X12 but it was pricey, like $10. I wonder if just a cheap pencil bag would work just for the wire as it has the holes for the binder to fit and would zip closed. That would be the cheapest way to go.

Definately all good ideas. I had started a binder with that thought but I wasn't very good at keeping it up so it is now sitting in a closet.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 27, 2008 4:41 PM

Heck yeah! Those pencil holders that are made of like parachute cloth and have the netting rather than plastic would hold spools of 20g and smaller wire let alone putting several rolls of beading wire in them. They stretch out pretty good due to the netting. I think that you would need a thicker binder for that, but it is an excellent addition to the "One For The Road Binder©". *laughz* We need to put some of these together with say a 2 to 2 1/2 inch decent grade binder, the 3 hole punch, a few full sized(single pocket) pages, a couple of the 9x pocket pages, a couple of the 4x pocket pages, and 1 of those stretchy pencil bags as a "One For The Road Binder© Starter Kit" and market it somehow. I'll bet that people would buy them. Put one on display with it loaded up and the rest on a bookshelf type display below. I can see it now. *laughz*

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

wrote
on Jul 28, 2008 9:06 AM

Using the page protector and a dry erase marker is a great idea for patterns Billy.  I'll try that next time I do one.  I was thinking I'd bead a cover for my phone (picture hubby rolling his eyes), and was going to look through some books for a good pattern.

My "on the go" carry case was a gift, and it's actually a travel makeup bag that folds in half with a velcro tab to hold it closed, and has several different size zipper pouches that are about 1/2" tall, so I can fit tools and beads in it easily.  The only thing that doesn't fit is my favorite beading container, the metal AOL CD box.

I think the project folder is a good idea also.  My "inspiration book" is in the same vein, but it's all papers inside page protectors.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Winipoo wrote
on Jul 30, 2008 10:29 AM

Good tips! I struggle so much with organization. Thank you for posting your ideas, Billy! :-)

~Kirsten in PA

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Aug 3, 2008 3:28 PM

Hopefully I'm not too late in reading and posting to this thread for anyone to get some use.

You ALL are such a wealth of information, even to an organization freak like me.  I find that reading everyone's input and answers gets my own thought juices flowing.  I'm going to take a little bit from everyone and put it all together.  I guess I should preface this by saying that I'm a highly experience Executive Assistant in my day job, so organizing and time-management are two of my fortes.  Here goes --

First off, one of the very first things I did when I decided to take my jewelry making serious was to get a pretty purple 3-ring binder (2 side notes: first, you can find binders as simple or as complex in design as you need for how involved or complex your needs are, and second, if you make and market several different types of products, say a) jewelry, b) woven baskets, c) dream catchers and wall hangings, and d) Cherokee pottery, you may want to consider color-coding your binders by type of product: purple for jewelry, red for woven products, blue for wall hangings, brown for pottery), dug out some tabbed dividers I had stashed away, grabbed my standard 3-hole punch and then went to work on my printing.  As each project was printing, I was punching and filing the previously printed project into the binder.  Further to that, on my computer I created similar file folders as what is in my hard copy binder - Necklaces, Bracelets, Earrings, Stitches (further folders of Peyote, RAW, Triangle, etc.), Hints, you get the idea.  This serves 2 purposes: 1) you have your paper copies for working projects without having to fire up the computer, making hand-written notes, etc.; and 2) once the computer is on, you have everything organized so that you can easily find the project you need so that you can then make copies to hand out (like for teaching your classes, without having to run to a copy machine and then have everyone know all your hand-written notes/shortcuts/secrets) or you can email the file to a forum-buddy or to wherever.

For travelling in the car, I love the idea of getting a couple of pencil pouches -- right now is the time to pounce on those with back-to-school sales starting.  You can also find portable 3-hole punches that fit right into your binders or simply get a one-hole punch (cheaper and a little easier to carry).  You can also use Glad bags in any size depending on the item to be stored inside, simply punch one hole, or more for larger bags, in the plastic area outside the locking strip and slip these onto your binder rings. . I have some old-fashioned sheet protectors that are made of a more sturdy plastic, have a black page support and are punched so that the holes match up with the holes in my project pages.  I find that these I like these better for using my dry-erase marker and they come clean very nicely using baby wipes that I keep in my work area.  These pages are also "side-opening" so that they easily slip over individual magazine pages.

For other travel or to simply condense even further, consider this: pick up a simple toiletry/shaving kit that has a main pouch.  I bought several in black vinyl for next to nothing when a local KMart/Sears Essentials went out of business.  It will fit several plastic bags, I don't even have to punch them.  For project pages, I got the idea from my son (who is in his high school marching band and jazz band) to use what they call flip folders (hopefully this link will work for everyone):  http://www.superdupermusic.com/oboe/2630016.html.  You can find these at your local music store as well, although you may have to ask for them.  Basically a 1/2-sized version of my page protectors and on slip rings to keep all the pages together and held to the study black back support, I fold my pages to fit (simply in half lengthwise and cut just a bit of the excess side margin).  I drop my favorite color dry erase marker (purple) into the kit, zip it up and I'm off.  These black kits are very inconspicous, but I am thinking of adding my sunburst logo to the outside just to dress it up for myself (plus it will keep the image in front of the minds of other band moms and the girls who love my hematite and charm bracelets).

As an organization freak, I'm always on the hunt for new ideas.  So if anyone has something to add or can make this idea even better, I'm more than happy to have the input.  Who knows, maybe I should organize all this organization advise and publish it.  LOL

Thanks for listening Everyone!!  Happy beading!

D.

BTW, I am new but have my profile updated.  I will post a newcomer message on the forum in just a little bit.  Big Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 3, 2008 5:23 PM

Great tips! Just a couple of things for options:

They have tiny single hole punches that are about 1 1/2 maybe 2 inches long. They are a little thicker than the typical silver one. I know it could not be really expensinve since I bought it. The ones I am talking about sometimes have the different shapes but they have one that is the regular circle hole.

I bought a pencil pounch but this one had clear vinyl from with a heavier material back ( almost like a windbreaker ) and it already had a couple of gromet holes punched. It was like $1. It may be a little more durable than the all cheap plastic ones. There were a couple of colors if you wanted to color code those.

Just thought of those and thought I would share them too.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS