anyone else have an iPhone?

This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers
wrote
on Jul 25, 2008 1:47 AM

We just got ours yesterday.  That thing is going to be SO handy!  It's like having a phone and a mini-computer/storage device all in one.  I coudn't really imagine what I'd need one for, but after watching the online tutorial and playing with it last night, I can see how handy it's going to be, especially after I get started with teaching.  I can check email & calendars from my home computer, load pics, view my photo gallery, read Beading Daily...oh and it makes phone calls, too!

I downloaded an app from iTunes, so now I have an Italian/English dictionary on my phone as well.  I can quit carrying a book in my purse now!

I'm not as big a gadget person as my other half, but this is pretty cool, and even us technology-challenged people can use it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 27, 2008 10:10 AM

Nope. I just have a regular cell phone. I don't even text on it. I would prefer to simply pick up the phone and call the person.

I understand that for some people being able to check e-mail etc on the go would be handy, but for me, I just don't need it.

Although, I used my boss's Garmin for our trip to Gatlinburg and think that now it has its place. Debating about the true need for one as we don't take that many trips or go places that we don't know. I guess it will depend on cost once I start looking at them.

Congrats on the Iphone. Here in the states there were waiting lines for them. People were getting in line the night before to try to get one. For me, not worth that.

I do hope that you enjoy yours though.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 27, 2008 7:44 PM

I just got a new LG AX275 on the 22nd of June. It will do internet and take pictures and all kinds of crap. I wanted a plain phone, no camera, no MP3 player, no internet, no texts even, but this was the closest that I could get to it. I can see no point to all of that junk on a phone, but I guess that I am just an old dinosaur. I only got one in case I have another stroke or something and no one is around. I keep it on me ALL of the time. I even plug it into the charger at night, but I still have it in my hands. I have it set up to call 911 if any key is depressed and held for 45 seconds. So even if I am not able to do anything but press a key, they will still get the call which is downright handy. I also have my GPS chip turned on so that they will know exactly where I am. Just in case.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

wrote
on Jul 27, 2008 11:53 PM

I agree that much of the stuff on phones is superfluous these days, but I can see that if I get busy doing teaching, bazaars & repair work it could be handy to have around.  Over in Europe, most people have cell phones, and as much has my hubby travels, it's very handy.  Texting when he's in another country is much cheaper than calling.  They don't have EU plans like they have nationwide plans in the States.  I usually hate texting, because it takes 10 mins to write 5 words, but since the iPhone has a regular keyboard and touch screen, it's a whole bunch easier now.  I do like having it in case of emergency.  I watched a gal have an accident on a slippery road in Belgium, and was able to stop and let her use my phone to call for help.  Luckily she wasn't hurt, but her car was toast.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 28, 2008 2:58 AM

Mine doesn't have the full keyboard. It's just a little flip-phone. My oldest daughter has one of those that have the normal phone keypad and touch screenfor most apps, but you can slide it open to get a full keyboard and all if needed.

If I had a full keyboard and a bigger screen, I might even use some of those features that are on mine, but with the normal phone keypad, I don't even bother most of the time. I have Alltel and I can call anywhere in the world that is a US territory(including all US military bases anywhere), all of Mexico, all of Canada, a big part of the UK, and some other places that I can't remember. However, this is only for the tri-state(NC, SC, and GA) area. If I go outside of these 3 states, I will be roaming, but I haven't left the tri-state area in the past 4 or 5 years, I don't think I am going to doing much traveling at this point in time. If I do, I can always up my plan to nationwide, then change it back when I come home.

They are handy, I never said that they weren't, I just have never liked to hear the phone ring, I am NOT a phone  type person, but I am NOT stupid either. I have had a heart attack and 2 strokes already, I will be connected to the world, should I need to be.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

wrote
on Jul 28, 2008 8:32 AM

No, I'm not a huge phone person either.  At the moment, the only person I call with any regularity is my hubby!  It's easier to get him on his cell than at his work center most of the time.  I feel pretty good I can do much of anything related to technology, really.  If we weren't all starting to get so dependent on it I probably wouldn't miss it.  I must admit, it is rather fun to be able to chat with folks around the world with similar interests though.Big Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 28, 2008 9:22 AM

A few years back, there were pagers with full keyboard. Basically they were pagers that did the text messaging, you did not speak to the person. My hubby and I had those and we loved those. Since it had the full keyboard, I could type like no other. However, with a regular cell phone, it takes me FOREVER to type anything. That is probably why I don't...and I have to pay for each text going and coming. 

Sometimes for my hubby the texting is better. Probably when we renew our contact, he will want to go full keyboards with texting options. So I had better get ready...that is in October. Wish me luck!

I do see the use for some, just not myself yet. Plus I am too cheap to pay that for a phone. I always get the free phone when I renew my contract. 

wrote
on Jul 28, 2008 1:29 PM

Agreed.  We decided to get the iPhones over here because they were cheaper with a contract, and since most EU countries have laws that you can't restrict someone to one wireless company, it is unlocked, unlike the US versions that have to be used thru AT&T for 6 years or something.  If it weren't for that, we probably wouldn't have bothered.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS