how to secure a knot in stretch cord

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 348
Chibabies6 wrote
on Apr 23, 2011 9:04 AM

I have some stretch cord left from crafty days long ago.. LOL   how to you secure a knot in stretch cord that will stay?  I cant remember how I was doing it as it has been years..   (toddler bracelets for my now 10 yr old..)

Michelle K.

Follow my As They Grow project..  weekly pictures of my 3 chihuahuas from birth to age 1.

http://chibeads.shutterfly.com/

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,313
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 23, 2011 3:08 PM

I will usually do a surgeons knot, and then put a dab of clear nail polish on it. let it dry, than cut the ends off.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Apr 23, 2011 4:42 PM

When I teach people how to make a knot in stretch cord, I show them the "fisherman's knot". It's also called a "figure 8" knot.

It is a little tricky to get close enough to the beads, but it holds well, without glue or nail polish, though you could glue it if you wanted to feel more secure with the knot.

Basically, you tie an overhand knot with both strands, then instead of tightening the knot, you take both ends through the same loop again and then pull it tight from both ends. The knot will "crawl" away from the beaded side, which is why it's tricky to do so that there aren't any gaps.

It does make a fairly large knot, but I usually put a crimp cover over the knot. If you wind up with a gap on either side of the knot, you can use a crimp cover or two to make extra "beads" to fill the gap.

Hope this helps!

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 348
Chibabies6 wrote
on Apr 23, 2011 9:07 PM

Thank you both!!  I'll play around and see what works best for me.. Smile

Michelle K.

Follow my As They Grow project..  weekly pictures of my 3 chihuahuas from birth to age 1.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 348
Chibabies6 wrote
on Apr 29, 2011 4:43 AM

Thank you TT!

Michelle K.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 127
jamberrysong wrote
on Apr 30, 2011 6:24 PM

Do these techniques also work with other types of cord, like leather or hemp? And I saw someone say a type of cement and clear nail polish, but are there any other glues that are ideal for this sort of application? I used super glue once---big mistake! It made the material so brittle, it just broke at the knots. Zip it!

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what's essential is invisible to the eye." - Fox, The Little Prince

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 531
on May 2, 2011 1:44 PM

Hello There Michelle,

The knot I use For stretch cord is a surgeons knot and I use GS Hypo Cement to secure the knot.

Angela

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS