Too Hot to Bead?

This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 502
Editor
on Jul 17, 2008 11:34 AM

My house does not have air conditioning and my normal kitchen table beading area can get quite warm in the summer.  Lately I've been thinking it's too hot to bead (it's been in the mid/high 90s), but somehow when I sit down "just for a minute" I get caught up in a project and time just goes by.  I forget that I'm too hot.  I pretty much forget anything not related to beads.

I know a lot of seasonal knitters who won't knit in the summer.  Do you ever think it is too hot (or too cold!) to bead?

wrote
on Jul 17, 2008 1:51 PM

Well, unless my brain melts or my fingers freeze off...Stick out tongue

Sometimes it gets hot enough that I just don't feel like doing anything at all except jumping into an ice bucket, but if I have a project I'm really into I'm the same as you.  My hubby says it's useless trying to talk to me while I'm immersed in beading even though I protest otherwise.

Pity that Loveland is so hot also.  My parents live down in Littleton and they don't have A/C either, so I can empathize.  At least it's not humid like it is here.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 17, 2008 3:46 PM

The humidity has hit Indiana and it feels definately that summer is here. Luckily I have central air however, I practically melt going from the car to the house.

After about 15 minutes in the house, I am good to go. I finished an order last night for delivery Saturday ( 5 bracelets, 2 necklaces, restringing 2 bracelets, and changing out 3 pairs of earrings from ear wires to leverbacks ). So I am taking tonight off so to speak!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,034
Editor
on Jul 17, 2008 6:16 PM

Here in the Adirondacks, my husband and I usually kept our house at a balmy 58 degrees in the winter time to conserve fuel.  (We had to keep it a tad warmer this past winter because we had a newborn!)  When it got too cold, instead of turning up the thermostat, I would throw a warm blanket over my lap.  Talk about dedication!

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 17, 2008 7:49 PM

I have to have A/C or the humidity in itself will kill me. Highs in the mid 90's to low 100's and 75% or higher humidity. Then again, we have 5 rivers and the Atlanticall right here together. All that water is enough to raise the humidity 10 points. On the other hand, the water in the rivers and the ocean is a clammy 73-75 degrees so we got plenty of places to dive in and cool off.

I haven't been stringing or knotting for the past week. Someone that I won't mention her name, but let's call her J. J suggested that I put the beaded concho that I did on my old jean jacket since I could not use it as origionally intended. Well, this has since gotten me a 2 1/2" bead embroidered Peace sign above the pocket opposite the concho and a purple and white 4" Yin-Yang in the middle of the yoke on the back. I wore it for 15 years and only stopped because it was looking so ratty. Now it is getting it's second wind. I've covered some of the worn areas with pieces of bandana(I even put the MisFit's famous eye's on one sleeve at my baby girl's request *laughz*) cloth and bits of black leather salvaged from a friend's motorcycle jacket. I had it with me matching the white seed beads and a lady wants me to make her one like it. I don't think that it is humanly possible to do that. *laughz*  It's J's fault, all of it. *grinz*

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

wrote
on Jul 18, 2008 5:06 AM

So glad I could be of service!Wink  Please take pics when you can...

"J"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 18, 2008 7:30 AM

Will do, M'aam! ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jul 31, 2008 1:59 PM

I can certainly understand about being too hot to bead.  As a lampwork artist getting ready for Bead Fest, I have had to adjust to my summer schedule to continue to get my work done.  I try to be up and at my torch by 5 am and work till about noon.  Even so, its over 105 degrees in the studio by the time my annealer and torch have been on for an hour or so.  When that humidity climbs I have to be very careful about keeping hydrated.  Each year I find that just as the summer is coming to an end, I am adjusting to the hotter temps.  It sure makes it easy to work during the cooler autumn months though.

Cindy

www.ArtglassAdornments.com

see my website for show schedule!

wrote
on Aug 1, 2008 12:34 AM

Your etched beads are gorgeous, Cindi!  I love the "glowing" look to them.  I understand what you mean about the temperatures.  I recently got to see a demo of lampworking, and it was warm to begin with, so after 20 minutes or so it was absolutely awful in a small room, even with the A/C on.  Must be great in the winter though.Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on Aug 2, 2008 9:06 AM

Up here in Minne-snowta, we have basements!  if it shouild ever get to hot above ground, I could go downstairs into the basement -- it's always cooler down there.

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS