Insomnia

This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 14, 2008 12:43 AM

How many insomniacs do we have here?Any? None? All? I know that Sheila mentioned something aboout it, but I am wondering if we have any more. If we do, maybe we can share our little secrets to coping with life without sleep. I got about 5 hours totaled last night in 3 naps. I needed it too. Bigtime. Before that, I had gone a little over 4 days without sleeping at all. My record is 15 days. My doc said that a person can't go that long without sleep. Bullsh**!! Over the years I have learned to meditate and rest withoout actually sleeping. The body needs rest,that's a given, no one ever said that said rest had to be sleep. I took 3 of my sleeping pills trying to knock myself out. I'll let you know tomorrow if it worked or not.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Winipoo wrote
on Jul 14, 2008 12:48 PM

Hi Billy. I suffer from insomnia. I do consider it suffering. I would consider it a blessing if I got stuff done while I was not sleeping... but my brain & body don't want to do anything, so I just lay there. I listen to music on my MP3. I read sometimes. I'd say I average about 2-3 hours of sleep a night. On the weekends I make up for it though! My husband takes the kids out and about, and I sleep deep until almost noon.

Over the counter sleeping pills make me sick, and completely useless during the day. So I don't take pills.

I did not always have insomnia. I think my insomnia is directly related to my Job. Working 40 hours a week, then taking care of the family, jewelry business, life... well, it keeps me up at night. My dream is to be a full time artist, and not need the Job, working for The Man.

The way the economy is right now... I think I'll have many more sleepless nights.

So anyway... how did you sleep last night?

~Kirsten in PA

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 14, 2008 3:07 PM

I have actually had a couple of different sleep issues over the years. First is was just not sleeping. My body would not get sleepy. I would be tired but not sleepy. Most people don't understand the difference but oh what a difference it is.

Finally after many years, I started sleeping. But it did not matter if I slept 15 minutes of 15 hours, I woke up feeling the same. I had the typical sore joints, stiffness, etc. It would last all day. Finally after years of going to the drs and some telling me that I was lying, I found a rheumaologist that believed me. After a sleep study, they found that when I would go to sleep, I would not go into REM sleep. ( The sleep that re energizes your body and heals the little muscle tears etc ). A previous rheumatologist had treated me for arthritis for almost a year without any relief.

Finally with the new dr, I got some meds that helped for about 1 yr. Then it quit working. By then some new sleep meds had come out. I have been on Ambien, Lunesta, and a couple of other drugs that the side effect was sleepiness. Finally, I found the sock remedy.

Wearing socks to bed raises the core body temperature that triggers whatever it is in your body to make you sleepy. I am going on over 6 months now. I don't know if it really is working or if it was a mental trick. Both my dr and I agree that we should not question it, just enjoy it. I do have a script for Lunesta if I decide that I need it. So far I haven't.

I have learned that with or without the sleep meds, I do have to stay somewhat on a routine. Socks on at 9 pm, pjs at 9:15, bed at 9:30pm and then I am usually asleep between 10-10:30om. Considering we get up at 5 am, I'm thinking this is pretty good. Every other weekend my husband is off so we can sleep in to 8:30 - 9 am. On the weekends that he works, we get up at 5, he leaves at 6 and usually I got back to sleep around 6:30am and sleep until 9-9:30am.

Previously, I tried the relaxing bath ( yeah right ), total darkness, watching tv, listening to music, excersise ( which at anytime during the day makes me feel worse and even more tired, but not sleepy. The drs still haven't figured that one out...), reading, and anything else anyone told me. Nothing worked. I was at 20 years before the socks thing.

Part of it was when my son was born, he ate every 1 1/2 hours around the clock. He did not sleep through the night until he was 5 years old. He for some reason is a person that requires a lot of liquids. I tracked it and the pediatrician said that he needed it for the amount that he was drinking. We are talking 12-16 ounces not a sip. Drs figured that I learned to continue my life without sleep.

Most people did not realize it. The only difference is not that people that really know me can tell  by my eyes if I am sleeping correctly or not. Others don't have a clue.

So what about you guys? My boss occassionally can't sleep. He said that when he can't he will switch directions in the bed. He will put his feet at the headboard and his head at the footboard. He said for some reason that will usually work. If not, he goes to his guest room and that sometimes work. Go Figure?!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 16, 2008 5:48 AM

Unfortunately, I can't wear socks to find out if your theory would work for me. I have so much nerve damaget hat my feet leel like they are on fire most of the time. The only time that I have even worn shoes other than flip-flops in the last few years was to my Dad's funeral last year. I had to wear a pair of sneakers that were a size too big and I had to do that without socks because of the pain. I do layinthe floor smetimes if nothing else seems to work. Sometimes it will allow me to get a couple of hours, most times not. My docs believe me, there is just not a lot that they can do about it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 16, 2008 9:25 AM

If I hear of anything I will pass it on. I tried anything and everything. I know how frustrating it can be. There were times I would just cry and say If I could just sleep I would be okay. 

I will keep in you mind if I hear anything else!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
on Jul 16, 2008 4:23 PM

I found out about 2 weeks ago that I'm newly pregnant (just celebrated my 36th birthday last weekend!).  I've not gotten a good night's sleep in about a month, due to the hormones.  I have taken benadryl in the evening and this has helped me to feel sleepy.  I also have some meditation music I listen to quietly (rain and thunderstorms with music).  I also try to limit my fluid intake after about 7 p.m. so I'm not waking up unnecessarily to pee.  I haven't tried it, but I have a few people at work that swear by chamomille decaf tea.

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, either way-you are right."  --Henry Ford

www.SquareEffects.com
www.SquareEffects.etsy.com
www.Cafepress.com/SquareEffects

www.icraft.ca/squareeffects

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 16, 2008 5:59 PM

Congratulations! I can't remember having any trouble when I was pregnant but it makes sense.

I have tried various teas in the past but can't remember is chamomille was one. If your dr says it's okay, give it a try.

Again, Congrats!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 17, 2008 6:08 AM

Congrats and a belated Happy Birthday!

I have tried EVERYTHING that you can think of and nothing seems to work for me. I am assuming that it is from all of the nerve damage that I have. I have a sound machine and I've tried native drum music as well. It's relaxing and I find it somewhat easier to meditate, but it doesn't bring sleep. When Itake my sleeping pills like prescribed, I will get 4 hours or so of sleep, then I am in a haze for several hours after I wake up. I hate that worse than being tired. I crashed and burnt night before last.I went to bed at about 2AM and got up and looked over the fourms somewhere around daylight, then went back to bed and got up about 1 or so and did the same, then slept until about 5 or so yesterday afternoon, then went to bed about 7ish and slept until 5 this morning. I actually feel pretty good for a change. But that's me and hs been for years. I'll not get much sleep for a week or three, then I'll sleep pretty much for a full day to day and a half and play 'catch-up'. Ah well, such is life.

Billy ;o)

wrote
on Jul 17, 2008 7:07 AM

Congrats, Square!  You'd better try to get sleep while you still can.  After kidlet is born it will only be here and there for a while-make sure to get rest when he/she does. The housework won't go anywhere, trust me.  I was super-tired the first trimester, and it levelled off a bit the 2nd, and was rotten the 3rd, because by then you can't get comfy.  I really shouldn't be telling you this, so ignore it if you want.  You're not supposed to listen to ANYBODY's pregnancy stories.Zip it!

I hope everything goes really easy for you though.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS