Make a Pandora style charm bracelet from scratch?

This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Annie@84 wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 8:26 AM

I am interested in making a charm bracelet for my daughter who has extremely small wrists.  So, it is difficult to find a base bracelet that works for her.  I was wondering if anyone has made their own starting with bulk snake chain, cutting it, soldering the end caps, etc....?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,215
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 12:44 PM

don't why that can't be done. The only thing is you have to make sure that one end is removeable in order to be able to add the beads. you could put a jump ring, clasp another jumpring and another clasp with the two clasps facing different directions. Make sure the jump ring soildered to the chain is small enough for the beads to slide over it. That would be the end with the two clasps, make the other soidiered jump ring a regural size for the lobster clasp to hook into.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Temperance,Michigan

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,323
DebWAZ wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 1:07 PM

Annie,

It doesn't even have to be a snake chain, unless it absolutely HAS to look like a Pandora. Just about any chain that the beads will fit over will work. If the bracelet's completely filled with beads, what the base chain actually is won't matter.

My personal opinion is that doing it yourself is pretty labor intensive - especially if you are only doing one bracelet. But, then again, we do crazy things for our daughters, don't we?

You will have to use sterling silver chain to solder - if you use plated chain, the coating will melt off before the base metal.

Good Luck!

Deb

Deb

Apache Junction, AZ

www.azbeaddepot.com

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Annie@84 wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 1:08 PM

Thanks for the advice.  I will give it a try.  :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 2:08 PM

Annie I made two of them so far but I bought bracelets from Beadaholique. They come in many sizes there in sterling. You will need to go up about 1" in size than what your daughter typically wears to account for the larger beads.  That is one of them that I made.

Chains at Beadaholique range from 6.5" up to 8.5" and don't forget- you can also use leather instead of the chain!

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Annie@84 wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 8:29 PM

Cat, 

That is beautiful.  I will have to check out that site

Annie

Not Ranked
Posts 1
kate18426 wrote
on Dec 12, 2012 9:21 PM

Your bracelet is beautiful. Are those two silver stopper beads?  Which ones did you order?  I ordered stopper beads, but they were too large and didn't work.  Thanks for any advice.  Kate

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 459
shanks wrote
on Dec 13, 2012 12:39 PM

Kate,

You can get stopper beads that have an "O" ring inside that rubs against the chain so things stay in place. My LBS carries them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 459
shanks wrote
on Dec 15, 2012 11:29 AM

Hi Annie,

Just thought of something else. I do lots of Viking knit, and it would be easy to make the bracelet part using 28ga wire.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Dec 20, 2012 3:24 AM

I think bracelet for kids can take advantage of lampwork beads and wood beads leather chain or some elasticity materials can be used as well, they are safe and cute for girls to wear. A jewelry for kid is easy to make, while some more important elements such as healthy, safety should be taken into consideration. Smile 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS