Bead Star 2011 Submissions to close Friday, 5pm Eastern time!

This post has 126 Replies | 14 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on May 19, 2011 4:30 PM

I am not a judge, or an employee of Interweave--I'm just a participant in the contest like everyone else, so I don't have any official say in the matter and can't actually answer your question of eligibility. But after looking at last years magazine, that is obviously the same technique. I just saw a tutorial published for this technique on either art beads or fusion beads website (can't remember which), so this is clearly a popular style and instructions on how to do it are out there.

This is one of those gray areas where we don't know what was in the designer's head. Was it copied, or was it an honest design using a technique that has already been published? Only that designer knows for sure.

Good catch, though. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out.

Erin S

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on May 19, 2011 5:19 PM

Erin@76:

This is one of those gray areas where we don't know what was in the designer's head. Was it copied, or was it an honest design using a technique that has already been published? Only that designer knows for sure.

Good catch, though. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out.

Erin S

My question - is it the same designer? Either way, if it looks "that close" to a winner in last year's contest, IMHO, it probably shouldn't have been a finalist this year. There wasn't any other piece in this year's finalists that gave me that "I've seen this one before" feeling.

I realize that techniques can be carried from one designer to another, but if "unique" is a qualifier, this one is a big red flag to me.

The issue of whether a design is copied or "modified" (no matter what venue) is a touchy one and there are lawsuits in abundance for copyright infringement - many times the infringement is coincidental or accidental. I just had a discussion with a customer over something like this. She has a pattern from a magazine and is going to teach it when she gets home. I reminded her to contact the designer for permission and her reply was, "How is she going to know?"  I do what I can to discourage this kind of thing, but once a person leaves my sphere of influence, it's out of my control.

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on May 19, 2011 5:20 PM

Thanks Erin and I know you are not an employee but just thought I would ask as you said you worked with a few of the editors.  As for it being a gray area, I am not sure it fits that as the editors should have saw that right away, I know I did and have been waiting for the contest to end to ask about original design rules.  I am not saying the designer copied and like you said they could have thought they made it up but is that not what the judges should be checking for and at least know what was in the magazine last year?  I also wanted some chat on where you draw the line on taking an idea and changing it, adding to it or whatever before you can say "it is my design"  We all know you can only make a necklace so many ways or can you?

Lets take a lariat for example:  We all know how it works but by changing all the materials does that make it your design or not?  Does it make it your design if you take materials that are used for something else and use them in another way? 

Just asking for some different thoughts on this matter............Thanks for the input Hmm

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on May 19, 2011 5:48 PM

good points, and good questions!

My opinion: In legal terms, it needs to be "clearly derivative" in order to be copyright infringement. That means, no matter what materials you used or what techniques you used, if you look at the original design, and the second design looks obviously copied from that design, then it can not be considered original.

However, that would not apply to a general "style." Like, if you make a lariat with your own unique beads and color combo, it would not be infringing on anyone else's work because a lariat is a commonly used style that you put your own spin on. Same would hold true of common beadweaving stitches, or common chain maille patterns.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on May 19, 2011 6:08 PM

it was also clear that that piece did not end up placing in the top 5 and that might have been a factor I image that that “original design” is not the only criteria and reason they will pick something it might be a factor but probably not the only one  but I am just a participant as well So I don’t know.

I do want to say this about the changes and self promotion I don’t think there is anything wrong with promoting or letting folks know about the contest and posting on your blog or face book about being proud of your work or getting in to bead star. I don’t agree with the offering of a discount that folk’s mentioned earlier in the thread that seems over the top and you can see looking at some of the contestants pages that it meant a lot to them to win I did see some begging

I do think that seeing the vote tallies really made me have to contemplate my own moral code and ethics and how important it was to me to win or not.  I found that even more so   in the face of seeing one of the contestants in my category promote hard to win on her face book page in the end that was not how I wanted to win and be up for the grand prize.

I was told this by one of the editors earlier on in this thread during the contest.

“But the bottom line is that we want Bead Star to be an extension of the Beading Daily community, voted on by peers from the Beading Daily community, and reflect the best jewelry-making that the Beading Daily community has to offer! The new voting system should be more equitable and discourage attempts to sway the vote.”

Clearly joining beading daily is not a real deterrent for coming to cast a vote in bead star   I don’t think there is a way to stop vote swaying even if the contest states in its rules that it is grounds for disqualification  if you tell anyone you are one of the finalists and that would be hard to police maybe it is better to just say it’s ok to promote the contest and draw attention to it with the votes once more hidden

I want to point out that one of the advantage of bead star being out side the forum and the way it was set up in the past was that if a person did come to the contest to vote for someone they also had to cast a vote in all 8 categories that is 7 more votes for other contestants and it was required to vote in all categories before you could submit the vote.

What I think folks miss was that was a form of promotion and a way to draw attention to the contest and the magazine in the end it meant more votes for everyone. It might all so be part of the reason the contest did have so many votes in the past. it might not account for all of the vote but may be it was a good deal of it.

I know folks have argued that only beading daily members have the ability to judge what is good  but I think there is something very faulty in that thinking that, to say that someone who dose not make jewelry can not recognize good work or appreciate it is just wrong. Maybe having the vote open ends up drawing more attention to the contest and that in the end is not a bad thing.

all of the work is a winner to get into the contest it is unfortunate but maybe necessary that some of this has come up and people are expressing there feelings about how the contest went this year. it would be nice to think that next year will be different again

it is a huge amount of work to run this contest and I think we should applaud the effort the interweave press goes to do so

Congratulations to all the winners!

Can’t wait to see who gets the grand prize

Just my two cents

" the future belongs to those who belives in the beauty of their dreams"

Eleanor Roosevelt

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on May 19, 2011 6:08 PM

Erin@76:

good points, and good questions!

My opinion: In legal terms, it needs to be "clearly derivative" in order to be copyright infringement. That means, no matter what materials you used or what techniques you used, if you look at the original design, and the second design looks obviously copied from that design, then it can not be considered original.

However, that would not apply to a general "style." Like, if you make a lariat with your own unique beads and color combo, it would not be infringing on anyone else's work because a lariat is a commonly used style that you put your own spin on. Same would hold true of common beadweaving stitches, or common chain maille patterns.

So are you saying that "own design" is based on materials and not the style?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on May 19, 2011 6:46 PM

Not everything in the contest was "original” or all that different from things seen in the past maybe they picked it because the big bead focal point was a new spin on it. There are many pieces in the contest we could point to and say what is original about that? I think they pick some things because they are simple or elegant or because of the beads the use of a simple knoted strand and pendant or a cluster bracelet that we have seen done with different materials. Some of the entrees were familiar it is really hard to put a new spin on things yet keep it simple enough for a one page direction a year or so ago beading daily posted something about how they chose the work for the contest and I thought that was very informative and well written it talked about how they chose.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on May 19, 2011 7:54 PM

Magickal Hands:

Not everything in the contest was "original” or all that different from things seen in the past maybe they picked it because the big bead focal point was a new spin on it. There are many pieces in the contest we could point to and say what is original about that? I think they pick some things because they are simple or elegant or because of the beads the use of a simple knoted strand and pendant or a cluster bracelet that we have seen done with different materials. Some of the entrees were familiar it is really hard to put a new spin on things yet keep it simple enough for a one page direction a year or so ago beading daily posted something about how they chose the work for the contest and I thought that was very informative and well written it talked about how they chose.

It would be interesting to read that if you know where it is?  Thanks for the help and input Magickal Hands

Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on May 19, 2011 8:21 PM

ssmarket:
I just think they should try to pick some more modern pieces to appeal to a larger audience.

I just was wondering what was more modern?  I have seen this comment before and just would like to understand better.  What kind of pieces did you think got missed?

Thanks for the help Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 786
Tia Dalma wrote
on May 19, 2011 10:13 PM

Hi Iwong,

Referring to your earlier question to Erin about making something your "own design" regarding the Lariat style necklace.

What Erin was saying is that a Lariat is a style just like a choker or an embroidered cuff or a peyote cuff etc...a style like this is not able to be copyrighted. Just like you cannot copyright a technique like peyote, herringbone, RAW etc. Those are all public domain techniques and styles. What you do with it is how you make it your own. If you make your own peyote pattern design and stitch it into a cuff it is your own work.

Just changing the colors or the type of bead used and making the exact same design as someone else is not "making it your own".

The thing about that wrap bracelet is that it is also a style of bracelet that I know many people have been making since the girls scout days or summer camp days.

I have never been a part of Bead Star Before (and had not seen the one from last year)...But I saw the one from this year and I recognized the style but I felt that the designer put their own touch on it and I thought it was a nice piece. The same thing with all the pearl cluster bracelets etc etc 

Many of the pieces are styles we have seen before and within the scope/guidelines of this contest it might be hard not to recognize a lot of the styles being made. But I do feel that there are a lot of original ideas within all of the work as well, I think every one of the contestants did a great job making the designs their own! I can only imagine how hard it is to design something within the parameters of this contest and have it be voted into the finals!

As a first time voter I would like to say that it would be better for the entire contest if you had to vote in every category before your vote could be submitted/counted. I also think you should have to see every submission on it's own page in a larger frame rather than just clicking on the ones you might like from seeing the "thumbnail" pic in the main category page.  

I liked that the category pages were separate with the thumbnail pics but I think you should have to click from that page onto one photo and then click your way through to the end of the category before going to the next. This way every piece actually gets viewed by every voter and every category gets voted on by every voter.

I know it is not as personal to me because I was not a contestant but all of these issues are still personal to all of us as beaders, bead artists, jewelry artists, designers etc. And I do appreciate everyone who participated...the designers, the Interweave staff, Beading Daily members etc...so I hope they continue with this contest in the future!

It is a great oulet/opportunity for many people who would not normally join a major magazine contest or people who don't think their work could be published etc. So this contest does a lot of good for this community of artists!

Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on May 20, 2011 8:31 AM

Thanks Tia

This information will help me with my entries next year.  It was not really explained in the rules and I took "new and original" to heart.  I have a piece that I didn't enter because I felt the style was common, but the design is mine.  So I will hold on to it and enter it next year. 

Thanks for all the explaining ladies Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on May 20, 2011 8:37 AM

ssmarket:
I think the pieces that have more mixed media and incorporate vintage finds like different medals and brooches are fabulous and are always unique

Oh I know what ones you are talking about.  Maybe they didn't include them because the materials are not as easy to find?  I think that would be great to have a category just for that.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on May 20, 2011 8:50 AM

Hi Iwong,

last year in bead star the lovely necklace “the grand Chenier”  by Denise Yezbak Moore  that got an honorable mention in crystals had a reclaimed element in it from a flea market  I was so surprised to see it because I had thought that part of the criteria  for bead star was that you had to be able to list where supplies came from or where you could buy things so someone could go out and make it.

I have to say I was thrilled to see it because it seemed to me to indicate that the editors might be open to entry’s that have unique elements. It always seemed an option that you could sell an aspect of your piece on your shop ( like a polymer clay bead that you make) making it available to folks that might buy bead star and want to make the necklace.

The year I won third prize my necklace was constructed with bakelite  radio insulator parts that looked like hearts I did not realize you had to be able to list where it was from until after I won I felt so bad  and felt I should make  that heart shape available that I had thousands of them made in acrylic and they are listed on my shop ( I never sold any of them ) it would be cool if they had a category for reclaimed elements but maybe it would be things easy to find a flee markets neat thought  

Eleanor Roosevelt

Not Ranked
Posts 14
mjanders wrote
on May 20, 2011 9:25 AM

ssmarket, I think you make a great point saying maybe mixed media should have its own category. Maybe the rules could even be clarified or loosened in order to allow more 'handmade' elements in that category. I personally submitted three pieces that had 'mixed media' elements, although only in a basic sense since the rules prevent truly handmade elements. One piece made it into the finals, the others didn't, but it's hard to say why the other two didn't--the categories they were in had lots of REALLY good entries, so it may just be that they didn't make the cut for that reason, not because they were mixed media. I had two other pieces make the finals that used just the elements of the category, but I felt that they were strong entries due to the originality of the design, not the materials, so who knows? Since Interweave publishes lots of mixed-media designs, books. and magazines like Handcrafted Jewelry, Creative Jewelry, Cloth Paper Scissors, etc., it makes sense to have a mixed-media category in the future. It's definitely a style with lots of contemporary interest.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on May 20, 2011 11:06 AM

ssmarket,

Mixed media is not allowed in this contest. The contest rules state: All designs must be the original work of the entrant and must be jewelry (bracelets, necklaces, or earrings) created using basic techniques, such as simple stringing, crimping, basic knotting (not macramé), and wireworking (simple loops, wrapped loops, wrapped-loop bails, jump rings) techniques.

So anything you submitted that was glued, soldered, sawed, dapped, riveted, sewn, etc. would not qualify. Last year, I submitted 2 pieces that had a few swark flatblacks glued onto a smooth bead surface. It was minimal, and because it was such a simple technique, I thought it would probably qualify. But neither of those pieces were selected as finalists. All 7 of my other pieces WERE selected as finalists, so I'm guessing those 2 got disqualified for using multi-media techniques, even though they were simple.

Also, handmade components are not allowed UNLESS you can buy them someplace--like if you bought original art beads or pendants from an artist's etsy store, that is OK. Or if you sell your own handmade components/beads on your own website, that is OK. If you created something from found objects that cannot be easily replicated, that will not qualify. (You get the idea.)

I personally love this style and do lots of pieces in multi-media. I'd love to see a contest for that, but Bead Star is not it. Basically, its the same rules as submitting for Stringing magazine. Hope that clarifies things.

Page 8 of 9 (127 items) « First ...  < Previous  5 6 7 8 9  Next > | RSS