Bead Star 2011 Submissions to close Friday, 5pm Eastern time!

This post has 126 Replies | 14 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on May 11, 2011 10:03 PM

DebWAZ:

I voted yesterday. Though I threatened to vote for all 20 in each category, I didn't do it. I also "threw away" a number of votes on things that I personally liked, though they didn't have the high vote counts of the favorites. Oh well, different ideas and opinions are what makes the world go round!

I do hope that lots more people vote - it would be a shame if the winners were decided with only 100 votes or so out of the thousands of members of BD!

Deb

Nice job Deb Big Smile I "threw away" votes as well....First, Last, or in the Middle, if I liked it, it got my vote!!!  Thanks for the lol and the smile!

It is almost over so enjoy the last leg everybody Wink

lwong

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on May 12, 2011 4:07 AM

I'm with Erin I really think an e- mail should be sent out seems like the contest is not getting attention from it's members....

" the future belongs to those who belives in the beauty of their dreams"

Eleanor Roosevelt

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on May 18, 2011 5:26 PM

So bead star is over now we wait to hear on the 10th what the results are. it will be a surprise who the grand prize winner is and we won’t know till the bead star publication comes out in December.

So I thought maybe it gives members and contestants a little time to talk about what they thought of the contest this year and of all of the changes.

I know this thread has discussed some of it and some of that seemed to be the reaction to seeing the changes but maybe this is an opportunity to talk about the contest and maybe by doing so on the forum it will help shape the direction of future bead star contests. (if anyone has time to read the fourm and see the discusion)

It seems that some of the changes where made to discourage self promotion and vote swaying to keep things more with in the beading daily community

did the community show up?

Although the editors have never taken a clear position about it or changed the rules to say that doing so was a violation do members think that really worked? That it really created a more even playing field by which the winners where chosen.

Or do you think it had the opposite effect?

some chose to promote and some did not?

the way voting was set up in the past a person had to vote in each category before submitting a vote  the contest being open more to the public on it’s own web page did  draw more attention that way to all of the categories, so was that really a bad thing?

I think it is an honest question  I am not posting to diminish any of the work in the contest or to point fingers at any of the contestants just to open the forum to a discussion about the contest on a broader level

So members what do you think? Is the contest better when you take” the American idol” aspect of it out or not?

" the future belongs to those who belives in the beauty of their dreams"

Eleanor Roosevelt

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on May 18, 2011 8:54 PM

I'll share my opinions-

The vote tallies being visible was terrible and I do believe VERY STRONGLY, vote tainting was done because of this.  After the first week or so, I decided not to check any vote counts of any of my pieces. It was obvious on the last day, including the last minutes of voting when people realized how close/far behind they were to some others, their vote counts suddenly shot up. I don't believe this has anything to do with last minute voters, but exactly what I've already mentioned.

I think it's fine to post on your blog or FB or even asking your family since most of them would know anyway and would support you,  but I don't think it's ok to say "VOTE FOR ME, VOTE FOR ME, VOTE FOR ME and even offer COUPONS for discounts off of jewelry purchases for doing so! Someone else mentioned this to me but I think it should be on the table that people actually had the audacity to do this! Saying "I made it into Bead Star finals, go check out the entries and vote for your favorites" is more appropriate or "These are my pieces,If you like mine, I would appreciate the vote, but if you like something more, then vote for it"

I posted on FB once at the beginning of voting, and once the last day of voting, posted once on my blog with all my entries including those that did not make it. I have around 50 followers and I don't post regular enough anyway. I always vote for what I like, not what people made that I know, and would hope others do as well. Basically I tried getting the word out for people just to go vote because I don't think it was advertised enough. In past years, over 20,000 votes were cast and I can't see that that many were this time around.

Voting on more than one piece- I don't have a strong opinion on this either way but I think there should be some type of limit. Maybe limit to the number of spots available in the magazine, 4. I voted for a few in each category that I liked, including those categories that I had pieces in.

The rules need to be stuck to, period. I hope next year they are better written and enforced. I won't go into specifics, because I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but people need to read and re-read the rules and the staff needs to stick to them. They were confusing this year, and after being re-written some key points were completely left off.

I do really enjoy this contest, being the only one I enter really, but I hope changes are made next year.

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Not Ranked
Posts 1
1 new beader wrote
on May 19, 2011 9:33 AM

Sour grapes and a holier-than-thou attitude are not attractive nor professional.

Offering discounts for votes does seem rather slimy, but so does offering votes for votes with others in the contest, but no one likes a tattletale.

There are rotten apples in every bunch and always will be.

I am surprised at the ugliness this contest brings out in some.

Either the contest can take away all voting and only allow an expert panel to judge all entries or they can continue as is and allow voting. But voting may be in their best interest – it generates public involvement which leads to Bead Star magazine sales, new purchases of their books and other publications, new forum members, and new entries next year.

If the contest did not want people to promote their entries & the contest they wouldn’t have put a SHARE button for Facebook, Twitter, etc next to each entry.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
mjanders wrote
on May 19, 2011 9:53 AM

I think there's no way around the self-promotion--it would be VERY hard to 'police' entrants to make sure they are not soliciting votes, and I do think the self-promotion serves the interest of the publication. As others have said, it encourages people who might not know about beading daily or the contest to check it out. So, although I am somewhat appalled at some of the tactics, I do think that there's no way around it and in the past I think it probably made little difference to the end results.

As I've said before, though, I do think the visible voting made a big, negative difference. I think the self-promotion is less likely to change results if entrants don't know their position. I also believe that there is an unconscious pyschological influence of seeing how others have voted. A few pieces got a lot of votes the first day, and I feel that subsequently those pieces got many more views, and eventually votes, than other pieces that might have done better if no one knew which pieces were pulling ahead early on.  The viewing format may have contributed to this as well--I remember voting last year, but I remember it being a little different and perhaps encouraging people to look more closely at all pieces. I do remember, though, that it seemed more time-consuming too, which is a concern. This year's format was easier, but I'm not sure it did justice to all pieces given the visible-vote issues.

I really like that you could vote for more than one piece. I voted for a few in all categories, including the categories my pieces were in. I think that was a really good change.

I also feel that there were more voters in the past; maybe the contest needs better publicity, maybe the issue of registering needs to be revisited, I don't know. I think the more voters you have overall, the less things like vote soliciting matter.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on May 19, 2011 10:01 AM

1 new beader:

Sour grapes and a holier-than-thou attitude are not attractive nor professional.

Offering discounts for votes does seem rather slimy, but so does offering votes for votes with others in the contest, but no one likes a tattletale.

There are rotten apples in every bunch and always will be.

I am surprised at the ugliness this contest brings out in some.

Either the contest can take away all voting and only allow an expert panel to judge all entries or they can continue as is and allow voting. But voting may be in their best interest – it generates public involvement which leads to Bead Star magazine sales, new purchases of their books and other publications, new forum members, and new entries next year.

If the contest did not want people to promote their entries & the contest they wouldn’t have put a SHARE button for Facebook, Twitter, etc next to each entry.

Since you seem to be directing that to me, I do not have sour grapes. I'm pretty sure some of my pieces placed and even if they didn't, I can't control what others do, ethical or not. I know I played fairly!

Your line about offering votes for votes- if you KNEW anything or READ what I typed, I didn't check back into Bead Star- those pieces were already voted for, before anyone said "will you vote for mine?"  I did not ask anyone to vote for mine and I would vote for theirs. There are people that posted on my FB page, after I mentioned it was the last day to vote. One person asked which were mine, and yes I told them. Doesn't mean they voted, does it?  Someone responded to someone else, and said "could you vote for me". I responded later in that message that I had voted for both of them already, prior to that existing thread on FB. I didn't know to begin with that those were their entries, they just happen to be good, that's why they got my vote in the beginning.

I also had some well known and published designers EMAIL me and ask for votes, and it that instance, I just so happen to ALREADY vote for 2 of 3 of this person's pieces. Others published on their blogs, does that mean I voted for them, NO I voted for what I liked, period.

I'm sure you know what assuming does, no?

So before you have actual facts, or just snooping on someone's page, or create false accounts to conceal indentity, maybe you should ask and not assume.  Contests sure do bring out the uglies!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on May 19, 2011 10:53 AM

OK, people, this is getting ugly. I think we all agree that this year's contest had plenty of problems.

The question of self-promotion has been beaten to death. Those who didn't do much self-promotion feel like their piece may not have gotten a fair chance, and those that did self-promote feel accused of cheating. The reality is we don't know for certain how much the final vote was manipulated by self -promotion. In a few cases I think quite a bit, and in some cases I think not much. But there is no way to prove that, so witch hunting is not really productive. I did see a blog where someone offered a discount on her jewelry if you voted for her piece, and I believe that did cross the line and made me angry.

I think we all need to assume a personal level of ethical conduct, and decide what is acceptable self-promotion and what is going too far. We can only control our own actions and be guided by our own moral compass, and hope that others do the same.

I do agree the vote counters made everyone crazy and may have skewed the final outcome. Blind voting tends to have a much more honest outcome, and hopefully this will be a lesson learned and will not happen again.

Also, it was shocking to see how few votes were actually cast, especially since people were allowed to vote for more than one piece. This is obviously a problem with promotion. I did get a response from Jamie at Interweave when I complained about this, which said they were hitting the social media pretty hard, but that was clearly not enough. There were no daily emails devoted to the contest voting. Only a line buried in the bottom of the copy of one email, and a box in the sidebar of another email. Couldn't there have been just one email devoted ENTIRELY to the contest? I don't think this is too much to ask. If more votes had been cast, the self-promotion would be much less of a factor.

Bottom line--next year, (if there even is a next year) NO vote counters and more promotion, PLEASE!

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on May 19, 2011 11:13 AM

ssmarket:
I just think they should try to pick some more modern pieces to appeal to a larger audience.

Special note to ssmarket: I have worked with several interweave editors over the past few years on multiple publications, and know that they do try very hard to be objective and include pieces that encompass many different styles, no matter their own personal preferences. My own personal style is very modern and contemporary, and I've had several pieces accepted for publication that were quite contemporary, so I know they do not purposely exclude this style.

I believe if this style is under-represented, (and I agree it is) it is because there were simply less entries submitted in this style. I think the judges honestly do the best they can to choose the best finalists in a broad range of styles that will appeal to as many different people as possible.

Erin S

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on May 19, 2011 1:54 PM

Hi Erin@76 maybe you could answer a question for me......

This is a quote from the contest rules    "ELIGIBILITY
All designs must be new, original, and not available for sale and must not have won any previous contests."

I just wonder why editors would but the same necklace in that won a prize last year?  The only difference to the one that took a 1st place last year is that the main material was change so it could be in another category.   The design is not changed in any other way.  That really doesn't seem new or original if it already won something last year does it?  Does taking a design and changing one part of it make it new and original?  Just have been wondering about that, thanks for any help you can give me on this burning question.  As it sure will help me decide on what I want to enter next year.

Congratulation to all the winners!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,329
DebWAZ wrote
on May 19, 2011 2:19 PM

I am also sorry to see that the number of votes cast was so low, compared to the number of members in the BD community.

I agree with what others have said that the visible vote count did have at least some effect on the voting. I know that there were a couple of items with high numbers that I didn't vote for, because I didn't like the piece. However, I will admit that I was tempted to vote for them simply because they DID have high numbers and "they'll probably win anyway". I voted for the ones I liked and pretty much "wasted" my votes on several pieces because they weren't near the vote count of the front runners.

I was originally not very happy with the self-promotion of some designers, but if you see the designer's point of view, you could think of it as not very much different from a political election and all that campaigning. However, I am shocked at the "vote for me and get a discount" electioneering. That is flat out wrong!

Just my opinion, as always.

Deb

Deb

Apache Junction, AZ

www.azbeaddepot.com

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,329
DebWAZ wrote
on May 19, 2011 2:26 PM

lwong:

Hi Erin@76 maybe you could answer a question for me......

This is a quote from the contest rules    "ELIGIBILITY
All designs must be new, original, and not available for sale and must not have won any previous contests."

I just wonder why editors would but the same necklace in that won a prize last year?  The only difference to the one that took a 1st place last year is that the main material was change so it could be in another category.   The design is not changed in any other way.  That really doesn't seem new or original if it already won something last year does it?  Does taking a design and changing one part of it make it new and original?  Just have been wondering about that, thanks for any help you can give me on this burning question.  As it sure will help me decide on what I want to enter next year.

Congratulation to all the winners!!

I meant to ask that question myself. It was so obvious, that I wonder about how it made the finals.

The answer will be interesting!

Deb

Deb

Apache Junction, AZ

www.azbeaddepot.com

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on May 19, 2011 2:58 PM

ssmarket:

Ok so I must be missing this piece that was a winner last year and was changed for this year...Can someone help me!!

Thanks

Me too, I'm lost. I even pulled out last year's issue and still don't see!

Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on May 19, 2011 3:08 PM

Check out last years winner of the stones and have a look in the crystal entries and see if you see the same thing Wink

Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on May 19, 2011 3:40 PM

ssmarket:

Ah I see.  Nothing against the work done, I also make this style, but it is very commonly now days and I really love that style but I see where you are coming from for the "original design" aspect.

I support everyone and their work so NO it is not the work itself, as it is very nice, but my question has to do with where the line is on an "original design" and one you see and like and make a change to.  If you make a change to something and how much of a change do you make before you can call something an original design?  Does anyone have any ideas on this?   

Thanks for the help Smile

Page 7 of 9 (127 items) « First ...  < Previous  5 6 7 8 9  Next > | RSS