Bead Star 2011 Submissions to close Friday, 5pm Eastern time!

This post has 126 Replies | 14 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on May 3, 2011 2:51 PM

Even if people do not like being able to see the vote tallies and the tallies for how many times the work is being viewed  it certainly is revealing ……

" the future belongs to those who belives in the beauty of their dreams"

Eleanor Roosevelt

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Not Ranked
Posts 14
mjanders wrote
on May 3, 2011 5:03 PM

Make sure you are signed in to beading daily to vote, also. I know that's probably obvious, but . . . you won't be able to click on the voting tab if you are not signed in.

It is revealing to see how the votes are going, but I still don't like it. I think people are too influenced by how others are voting, and I think it could lead to hurt feelings too.  This is not coming from 'sour grapes' either--one of my pieces is doing well so far--but I've been watching how voting is trending across all the categories and really think the visible tallies taint the vote and encourage vote-soliciting. I really like that you have to be a beading daily member to vote, though, and I found the voting easy to do and clear. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 127
jamberrysong wrote
on May 3, 2011 6:20 PM

mjanders:

It is revealing to see how the votes are going, but I still don't like it. I think people are too influenced by how others are voting, and I think it could lead to hurt feelings too.  This is not coming from 'sour grapes' either--one of my pieces is doing well so far--but I've been watching how voting is trending across all the categories and really think the visible tallies taint the vote and encourage vote-soliciting. I really like that you have to be a beading daily member to vote, though, and I found the voting easy to do and clear. 

Another beader and I were talking about this yesterday. Personally, I hate all this "vote for me" drama. People should vote for what they think is best, not for who they know by virtue of simply knowing that person. Drama skews everything. Sad

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what's essential is invisible to the eye." - Fox, The Little Prince

Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on May 3, 2011 7:10 PM
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

“I think people are too influenced by how others are voting, and I think it could lead to hurt feelings too.  This is not coming from 'sour grapes' either--one of my pieces is doing well so far--but I've been watching how voting is trending across all the categories and really think the visible tallies taint the vote and encourage vote-soliciting.”

I have seen this comment a few times here and have wondered do people really believe that we are a bunch of mindless sheep that can’t make up our own minds to vote and will only vote for the highest one or for whoever blog they follow?   As for the hurt feelings we are adults and this is a contest.  This is not a grade school field day and everyone gets a red ribbon for showing up.  There are going to be winners and losers, sorry but that is what happens in a contest.  If your feelings are that tender then perhaps entering a contest is not a good thing for you.  Why can’t you people be happy that out of almost a thousand entries you are in the top 160?  That should be prize enough and anything else you win should be a bonus.   What happened to good sportsmanship?

As I have said before this is my first year, first contest and I am VERY PROUD to be in the top 160.  I am sure that the people that voted for me did so because they liked what I made, not because someone else did or didn’t vote for me, and not because of a blog or facebook.

Come on ladies put on your big girl pants!  Embrace and celebrate your getting this far as I am sure there are others that would be happy to change places with you……  

Not Ranked
Posts 17
on May 3, 2011 8:05 PM

Well...amen!

Not Ranked
Posts 14
mjanders wrote
on May 4, 2011 9:45 AM

Wow, lwong, well since you chose to single my response out for your comments, I feel obliged to respond. This is a forum about the contest and contest rules, and I think it is exactly the place for members to talk freely about what they like more and less about the new rules of the contest. You are free to express your opinion as well, but I hardly think it's fair to accuse members of poor sportsmanship simply because they state, as I did, that they don't think visible vote tallies are necessarily a good addition. Besides vote-tainting, members have also stated that they feel the visible tallies ruin the 'surprise' element of the contest as well, which I think is also a fair comment. I am a huge fan of Interweave publications and of the contest (although this is the first time I entered), and I love that there's a forum where members can "talk" with other members and with Interweave staffers about the contest. I think this is a great thing for all involved!  

Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on May 4, 2011 10:48 AM

Yours mjanders just happen to be the last one I saw as I could have gone back and quoted a few that are very similar to your comment. I know this is a forum about the contest and contest rules as I have been following the comments from the start. Yes you are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to mine. Your comment said nothing about the surprise element being ruined, your comment was about hurt feelings and vote tainting that was what I addressed. These kinds of comments came across as poor sportsmanship to me. I don’t think I am the only one either. I’m sorry if you felt I was singling you out as that was not my intention. But how is showing votes vote tainting? How is being proud of your hard work vote tainting? People will vote for the one they like not because they are asked to, or be a bunch of followers (mindless sheep). I would think showing the votes would keep people more honest! Just because I don’t agree with you doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be able to speak my mind here, as that is what this forum is about sharing opinions, right?

Not Ranked
Posts 14
mjanders wrote
on May 4, 2011 12:15 PM

lwong:

Yes you are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to mine. Just because I don’t agree with you doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be able to speak my mind here, as that is what this forum is about sharing opinions, right?

Yes, and that's exactly what I said in my post. I just think in such a friendly, fun forum we should be able to state opinions without putting others down. That's all.

Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on May 4, 2011 12:46 PM

These types of comments about vote tainting suggest that the projects in the lead or that may win didn’t get there on the worthiness of the project but because of something shady, that is why it sounds like poor sportsmanship or "sour grapes". It is fine to not like the votes shown so that your surprise is not ruined, simple fix for that, after you vote don’t look at it again. I myself am enjoying the race Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on May 4, 2011 12:50 PM

mjanders:

lwong:

Yes you are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to mine. Just because I don’t agree with you doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be able to speak my mind here, as that is what this forum is about sharing opinions, right?

Yes, and that's exactly what I said in my post. I just think in such a friendly, fun forum we should be able to state opinions without putting others down. That's all.

You are putting peoples projects down by suggesting there is vote tainting going on.  They are getting votes because people like what they have done plain and simple.  Yes it should be a friendly contest and without comments about hurt feelings and vote tainting..........At no point did I put anyone down and if you think that you read more into it than what is there!

Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on May 4, 2011 5:06 PM

Back at you CathMarissa Wink  Best of Luck Girl!  

Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on May 5, 2011 11:02 AM

Just was wondering if after all the voting is done if the comment box will be open on the entries?  I would sure love to be able to chat with some of the artists about their projects.  Everyone did such a great job and I am sure it was hard to pick just 160.  Again I say good luck to everyone!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on May 9, 2011 10:56 AM

voting has been open for 2 weeks now, and considering the number of BD members (thousands) there are very few votes. I have not seen ANY notification on the daily BD emails about beadstar voting being up. I think many BD members are unaware that its even happening. Anybody that is not active on the forums would have no idea to go vote. This is very discouraging to me.

Jamie--please send out notification in the BD daily emails and lets get more people involved in the voting!

Erin S

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Not Ranked
Posts 14
mjanders wrote
on May 11, 2011 11:27 AM

Erin, I was wondering if people were waiting until the end? I voted the first day, and it seems like a bunch of other people did too, but then it really quieted down. Less than a week left now, though--exciting!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,323
DebWAZ wrote
on May 11, 2011 3:41 PM

I voted yesterday. Though I threatened to vote for all 20 in each category, I didn't do it. I also "threw away" a number of votes on things that I personally liked, though they didn't have the high vote counts of the favorites. Oh well, different ideas and opinions are what makes the world go round!

I do hope that lots more people vote - it would be a shame if the winners were decided with only 100 votes or so out of the thousands of members of BD!

Deb

Deb

Apache Junction, AZ

www.azbeaddepot.com

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Page 6 of 9 (127 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next >  ... Last » | RSS