Bead Star 2011 Submissions to close Friday, 5pm Eastern time!

This post has 126 Replies | 14 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on Apr 27, 2011 7:19 PM

Really, I had not seen that! Interesting there are so many changes in regard to voting I keep thinking about how that how that affects tallies and the feeling of the folks that entered I wonder..... I would love to hear what the editors and magazine have to say about the all the changes and why they made them I love that there is talk on the forum about the contest it felt a bit like a ghost town ( love the blogs)  I have never had time to enter much but I do pop in and look around from time to time it was bead star the brought me here in the first place but there is little buzz about the place right now

" the future belongs to those who belives in the beauty of their dreams"

Eleanor Roosevelt

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Not Ranked
Posts 13
jbogner2 wrote
on Apr 27, 2011 7:38 PM

Magickal Hands:
I would love to hear what the editors and magazine have to say about the all the changes and why they made them

You all have pretty much covered all the pro-con arguments that we've had amongst the staff over this, here in this very thread. Smile

But the bottom line is that we want Bead Star to be an extension of the Beading Daily community, voted on by peers from the Beading Daily community, and reflect the best jewelry-making that the Beading Daily community has to offer! The new voting system should be more equitable and discourage attempts to sway the vote. Plus with the chance to vote for multiple projects, you don't have to decide on just one anymore, and can instead vote for each of your favorites. The visible vote thing has pros and cons- on one hand it's fascinating to see how your piece is doing, but we wish there were a way to create a bit more mystery over winners at the end (I've checked with our IT folks- there's not a way to remove the visible vote tally). Still remember- winning the public vote only gets you into a 1st-2nd-3rd-Honorable place, and there's still plenty of surprise over the grand prize winner.

Glad you all enjoy the contest- it's a huge amount of work for us, but it's exciting to see all the great designs and watch things unfold here within the community...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 38
raggydaggydo wrote
on Apr 28, 2011 10:32 AM

Not able to remove the visible vote tally?  I'd say it's time for some new IT people.  Anyway, I do hope the bugs are worked out for next year as I see this as an unfortunate experiment.  I know it's hard to adapt to change but it can only get better - right?!

Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on Apr 28, 2011 2:38 PM

I agree abney_m this is my first year beading and my very first contest so I am VERY PROUD to be in the top 160 and compete against seasoned artist. I think for the most part people vote for what they like and not the person. Yes you may get a few family and friends but I don’t think it will change the out come. If you have a large following on a blog they are there because they like your stuff already and chances are you would have got that vote anyway. But I think for the most part people will go in and look things over and pick the one or two that appeal to them as that is what I did. I am not sure I will win anything but am happy to be a part of it and am already looking forward to next year!! Good Luck Everyone!!

Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on Apr 28, 2011 10:10 PM

I would like to know how the comment thing works as every time I try and leave a comment it doesn't give me a spot to write in...  Am I missing something???

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 540
JKD Studio wrote
on Apr 29, 2011 6:06 AM

Hi Everyone,

This is a great post.  I think many of you have hit on some great points.

I did read the rules to enter Bead Star about voting and it is stated like this:

5. "Voters can vote for as many entries as they like, but they can only vote for each entry once."

So I'm surprized we can vote FOUR times in one category.  Unless I'm reading that incorrectly.  I, myself am Neutral on the subject.

Congratultions to all the Bead Star Finalists!  The best to you all.

jeannie Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 13
jbogner2 wrote
on Apr 29, 2011 7:02 AM

JeannieK6:

I did read the rules to enter Bead Star about voting and it is stated like this:

5. "Voters can vote for as many entries as they like, but they can only vote for each entry once."

So I'm surprized we can vote FOUR times in one category.  Unless I'm reading that incorrectly.  I, myself am Neutral on the subject.

Jeannie- you can vote up to 20 times in any category- you could vote for EVERY piece in a category if you really wanted to. But each member can only vote for each piece once. The rule does accurately describe the voting system- it says vote for each "entry" once, not each "category."

Thanks for voting! Smile

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 540
JKD Studio wrote
on Apr 29, 2011 8:27 AM

Thank you for the clarification.  I thought maybe I misinterpreted this. 

I do want to say thank you to Interweave Press for giving designers a venue to show off their talent and acknowledging the best of the best by publishing a wonderful magazine. 

I want to thank Beading Daily for undertaking the voting.  I know it's a lot of work and I do appreciate it.   I think it's easy to forget what goes on behind the scene and all the people it takes to make it happen.

thanks, jeannie

Not Ranked
Posts 23
lwong wrote
on Apr 29, 2011 12:39 PM

lwong:

I would like to know how the comment thing works as every time I try and leave a comment it doesn't give me a spot to write in...  Am I missing something???

I guess I need to make this clear...Big Smile  On each of the items when you go to vote it has a "+ Add Comment"  spot but when you click on it to add a comment it does nothing, can someone please tell me how that works?

Not Ranked
Posts 13
jbogner2 wrote
on Apr 29, 2011 12:43 PM

lwong:

I guess I need to make this clear...Big Smile  On each of the items when you go to vote it has a "+ Add Comment"  spot but when you click on it to add a comment it does nothing, can someone please tell me how that works?

Sorry- commenting has been disabled for the Bead Star galleries, because it's a competition and we didn't want comments in there aimed at swaying votes either way. The pieces have to speak for themselves!

You're not doing anything wrong- it's all us!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Apr 30, 2011 10:32 AM

I just looked to see who was selected and found that I am one of the contestants in the seed bead category.  I can't begin to tell you what a thrill this is for me.  Is there any way to view comments?  Mona Isaacs   Thank you !!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on Apr 30, 2011 10:49 AM

Congrats  Ramona it is thrilling to make it into the contest !  as she said on the thread comments are disabled  in bead star so there are none   

" the future belongs to those who belives in the beauty of their dreams"

Eleanor Roosevelt

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Not Ranked
Posts 7
sandi m wrote
on May 2, 2011 11:54 AM

Just a quick comment/observation.  

Found the voting process very laborious and time consuming so I gave up trying.  Too many screens and the main categories page layout somewhat unclear with the sponsor ads and category names all bunched together.   i'm sure others will be discouraged from voting...too bad.

Previous voting years were sooooo quick and easy.  

Just my humble opinion.  Good luck everyone!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on May 3, 2011 10:56 AM

Well, I can't figure out at all how to vote.

It says to vote on the blue tab on the right hand of the screen, but there's nothing???

Really frustrated about this.

I wonder if it's related to Firefox. But then, on my iPad I haven't seen any tab or button to vote either :(

Not Ranked
Posts 4
reliccharm wrote
on May 3, 2011 11:09 AM

Have you clicked on the item you want to vote for or are you on the screen with all of the pictures from each section?

Page 5 of 9 (127 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS