Bead Star 2011 Submissions to close Friday, 5pm Eastern time!

This post has 126 Replies | 14 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 10:13 AM

I also think it is a bit hard to navigate through all the categories. It was an easier format in previous years, but I like that you can enlarge the photos more and see the details of the entries better.

Not sure how I feel about being able to vote for multiple entries. I don't think they've made that very clear when you go vote, and I'm sure many people will not understand they can vote for more than one.

As for non-BD members not being able to vote, I think that makes the contest more fair--not about who has the biggest email list of people they can ask to go vote for them. I'm sure many pieces in the past have gotten plenty of votes from people who did not necessarily think it was the best piece in the group, but were just trying to help their friend win.

I think they should take the vote count off. How would you feel if you knew your piece came in dead last? I think many feelings will be hurt. Plus, at the end, everyone will know who won. Whats the point of keeping it a big secret if its right there in front of you? And I think it encourages cheating. If you are only a few votes behind the winner, wouldn't you be calling everyone you knew begging them to sign up and vote because you are "almost" winning?

I'm noticing there are lots of "views" but hardly any "votes" yet. That means the BD community either doesn't know about the voting yet, or can't find where to go to vote.

Interweave--if you are listening, you need to put a link to the voting on the www.beadstar.com page. This is where everyone went to vote in the past, and they are not going to hunt through the entire BD website to try to figure out where to go to vote!

Erin S

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 10:22 AM

CathMarissa:
I have family that I'm sure would love to come check out my work, but is hesitant to sign up for a community that doesn't really relate to them.

Carrie and Cath,

And that is where I believe Interweave has a problem with non- beaders voting. They don't want this to turn out like so many other contests. It is meant to find a true Bead Star, not a beader with a huge amount of family and family or otherwise solicited votes. I believe that when you bring personality into the play of things, it can becomes an unfair contest for what it was meant to be.   Just say I belonged to a huge forum that, I could persuade, to cast a vote for me, it could tilt the scales and give me an unfair advantage.

How would you feel, if you were clearly the designer with the most talent, and I won, because I was able to solicit more votes than you. That would be a huge injustice  to you, I believe this is the only way to keep personality out of it.

By the way, I didn't enter, so I can't win.

This is just my opinion of why, the vote is set up the way it is.

Good luck to all and a fair vote.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 10:27 AM

It is a bit muddy looking through the entries but I found the main link to each category here http://www.beadingdaily.com/content/BeadStar2011.aspx

That link will take you to the main page of voting where you choose the category you are entering to vote on.

I also don't care for the votes showing and I'm guessing maybe this wasn't supposed to be there? I hope it gets changed and quickly.

At the top of the page, under contests is where you can find the link to Bead Star Voting- still confusing since years prior it was on the Bead Star page but it is up there. I agree a link should be added to Beadstar.com.

For those of you that don't necessarily like the entries- blatantly stating personal opinions of other's work is distasteful to say the least. Everyone works hard on their pieces, whether it's your style or not, it doesn't make the piece less beautiful.

Those that entered are obviously members here, and you don't know whose feelings you're hurting but saying so.  

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 10:28 AM

Erin@76:
Interweave--if you are listening, you need to put a link to the voting on the www.beadstar.com page. This is where everyone went to vote in the past, and they are not going to hunt through the entire BD website to try to figure out where to go to vote!

Erin,

I think this was a smart move on Interweaves part, to do it this way. This is one way to keep the vote out of the general public. Anyone can go to the Bead Star site to order a magazine, therefore if they are able to go to voting from there, anyone and their brother can vote. That could cause it to be a personality contest.

Again just my honest opinion.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 10:31 AM

Sue--first post--well said! couldn't agree more.

replying to second post--I mean they should have a link to voting on the beadstar website so people can find where to vote--but I agree they still need to be BD members. So just keep the voting how it is now, where you can't vote if you are not a member, but make it easier for the BD community to find where to vote since we are all used to going to the beadstar website from past years. I don't think the BD community is finding the voting buried under "contests".

Erin S

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 10:36 AM

Cat, that link only takes me to the Bead Star web site.  I can order the magazine, but can't find the place to vote. The only way I have been able to find to vote was to go though BD site. I had to click on the contest link to Bead Start contest.

I hope they don't allow anyone going to the Bead Star site to vote. And the reason I feel that way, I have already stated in another post.

Lets hope this stays a talent contest and not a popularity contest.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 10:40 AM

Sorry Cat, I found it. Told everyone once before, I am a computer dummy, and I just proved it LOL

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 10:41 AM

SCB1:

Cat, that link only takes me to the Bead Star web site.  I can order the magazine, but can't find the place to vote. The only way I have been able to find to vote was to go though BD site. I had to click on the contest link to Bead Start contest.

That link I provided stays within Beading Daily- look again at the top of the page and you'll see all the normal Beading Daily functions as if you were on the home page.

Underneath Bead Star, each category is listed with the name of the sponsor, clicking on those links takes you to the galleries to vote for them.

Look at the difference in the URL's

Bead Star Home Page-  http://www.beadstar.com/

Beading Daily Bead Star Voting- http://www.beadingdaily.com/content/BeadStar2011.aspx       < beadingdaily is in the URL and the content page is Bead Star 2011

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 10:42 AM

SCB1:

Sorry Cat, I found it. Told everyone once before, I am a computer dummy, and I just proved it LOL

LOL- no problem- we must have been replying at the same time!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 10:44 AM

Erin@76:
--I mean they should have a link to voting on the beadstar website so people can find where to vote--but I agree they still need to be BD members.

That's what I was saying as well. Maybe when they make an email announcement to members, we'll see a change in votes, then again I'm hoping they remove the vote counts on each one.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Apr 26, 2011 11:11 AM

FYI:  I am not stating anyone's work is lesser quality or beautiful then anyone elses.  Everyone has done an amazing job and it is great that they have made it to the top 20.   All I am saying is I think this is a very specific selection of pieces and doesn't cover enough variety.  Yes I get there are plenty of categories to enter but it doesn't show many different types of designers.  Maybe I need to start my own magazine.  I really wish I could see all of the original entries to see what they have to pick from!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
reliccharm wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 11:30 AM

Did anyone else notice that last year it was the same people throughout the  magazine.  There was great stuff last year that won but seems kinda like it could have been a popularity contest like you have been discussing when anyone could vote.  It will be interesting to see if it happens again!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 404
tpfrank wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 11:54 AM

I just voted ( this is my first time voting for this contest) I like that I did not know who the entry belonged to and that I was able to vote on what I liked, they were all nice entries, it's just that some I liked more than others.  I agree though the vote count should be taken off to be fair.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 12:08 PM

reliccharm:

Did anyone else notice that last year it was the same people throughout the  magazine.  There was great stuff last year that won but seems kinda like it could have been a popularity contest like you have been discussing when anyone could vote.  It will be interesting to see if it happens again!

I personally know several of the designers that were winners last year. Some of them placed in more than 1 category (including myself). Many of these designers have blogs, and yes, they posted their entries on the blogs and asked people to vote for them. I'm sure they got some votes that way. I'm also fairly sure that every person who was a finalist asked their friends and family to vote for them. I know I did. But honestly, the amount of votes I got from friends could not have been more than about 20, and probably more like 10. I don't have a blog, so I didn't get any votes that way.

I like to think that the "solicited" votes don't make a significant difference in the outcome--they probably end up balancing each other out for the most part.

I also know for a fact, that several of the "big name" designers (I will not name names) who entered multiple pieces and won last year did not enter ANYTHING this year, because they were unhappy with the new rules. Lets face it, when you can submit a piece to another publication and KNOW you will get paid if it gets accepted, why would you enter a contest where if you win 3rd or 4th place, you have to jump through all the hoops and write instructions, but you get NOTHING. So to answer your question--I know for a FACT that several of last year's winners will not be in this year's magazine, because they did not enter.

(BTW, last year I entered in every category. This year I entered only 4, for the reason listed above.)

Erin S

Not Ranked
Posts 2
FlowerBead wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 12:13 PM

I really hope they take the vote count off too.  As someone with 2 necklaces in the contest with one vote each (and yes, I did vote for myself) it is a little embarrassing.  I got to say though - the pieces in my catagories were all really great and I probably wouldn't have voted for my own if it wasn't my own. 

Page 3 of 9 (127 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS