Bead Star 2011 Submissions to close Friday, 5pm Eastern time!

This post has 126 Replies | 14 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Apr 25, 2011 3:19 PM

Voting has started and there are only 20 per category.  Wish there were 40 in each!

Not Ranked
Posts 13
jbogner2 wrote
on Apr 25, 2011 3:28 PM

Here's how it works- we received nearly a thousand entries for Bead Star 2011, and the editors of our magazines pored over all those entries to make sure that they met the criteria for the contest, didn't use techniques that were beyond the scope of the contest, were entered in the right category, etc. We've narrowed it down to 20 finalists in each category (we originally had hoped to do 40, but in our testing we found it was too much for people to sift through, and didn't want voters to get halfway through voting then get frustrated and give up, so we dialed it back to the original 20- we're listening, Cat P!). It literally took our team of editors 7 hours to go through the nearly 1000 entries, and there's no way we could ask voters to spend that much time sifting through entries if we put them all up!

So members of Beading Daily get to choose the winners, right here on BeadingDaily.com (rather than on beadstar.com as in years past).

Vote now- http://www.beadingdaily.com/content/BeadStar2011.aspx

Thanks to our great sponsors, we have thousands in prizes up for grabs! This contest wouldn't be possible to run with no entry fee and great prizes without their support- Fire Mountain Gems, Artbeads.com, Beadaholique.com, Beadalon, Rings N Things, EK Success, Johnbead.com, and Fusionbeads.com.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
reliccharm wrote
on Apr 25, 2011 3:45 PM

This is where you can see them:

http://www.beadingdaily.com/media/18/default.aspx

Not Ranked
Posts 14
mjanders wrote
on Apr 25, 2011 5:25 PM

I was thinking 40 in each category would be a lot to go through! Any official word yet on whether we can post pics of finalist pieces on Facebook, blogs, and so on?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Apr 25, 2011 5:38 PM

I think they should have done more too!  Some of the categories are pretty slim pickin' for anything I would vote for.  I feel they are missing a huge part of the beading community that has more modern pieces.  A lot of the pieces seem like they are for an older demographic, being in my 20's I would like to see more pieces that I would be inspired by. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on Apr 25, 2011 6:59 PM

Another huge change is being able to see how many times it has been looked at and how many votes it has wouldn't that mean we will see what is going to win in those categories? It is kind of neat in away but a big change from the past too. I think it is worth the time to look closely at all of them

I think it is great to get into the contest even if yours dose not get votes it could just be that a few stand out more but all of the work is out standing and we should not diminish the accomplishment of being one of the 20 picked it is really hard to make something that dose meet all of the criteria. I submitted 7 entries and I am sure some of them looked like they would be hard to explain how to make in a short directions I say congratulations to the 160 that made it in!!!

what I was really surprised about was that there where entries in the seed beads that where not using bead waving but where strung or safety pins I was startled because the way the rules read it was only weaving techniques that could enter????   

it is a great contest and a lot of work it will be fun to watch what happens....

" the future belongs to those who belives in the beauty of their dreams"

Eleanor Roosevelt

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Apr 25, 2011 7:18 PM

In the past did you have to register to vote?  That might deter a lot of people from getting to vote...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on Apr 25, 2011 7:22 PM

The judges have always selected the 20 per category ( they did say 40 but they also said only beadwaveing in sead beeds) that the members then chose from and then they award the grand prize from the 8 first prize winners.

the big difference this year is being able to see who is getting the votes and how many that is a big change from the past and it certainly builds the anticipation when it was listed on the bead star page anyone could vote and it was a grand mystery you spent months praying, now it is only if you become a member that you can vote I have a feeling the memberships will increase because of that bight bring more people  to the community

Eleanor Roosevelt

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 25, 2011 7:30 PM

Jewelry Queen:

In the past did you have to register to vote?  That might deter a lot of people from getting to vote...

No you didn't have to register in the past and I do see the point in not getting people to vote that way. BUT it also somewhat prevents people from voting on the same one over and over. Keeps it a bit more fair in a sense.

I think the 20 that made it are great, and everyone should feel they accomplished something. It isn't the easiest to stay within the guidelines, I found myself many times wanting to go over the edge with some techniques but I had to exercise restraint to fit the contest.

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on Apr 25, 2011 7:54 PM

You are so right cat! it is truly a challenge on so many levels to meet all the guide lines and quite and accomplishment to be one of the twenty chosen it is interesting to look closely at all of themand think about what is steller about it what makes it difrent.

What do you think about the voting changes this year I have a feeling I will be looking in a lot till the closing in May it is a big change : ) not sure what is harder left wondering or having my heart in my throat as I watch the votes come in it will also be intresting to se just how many people do vote the other difrance is you can take the time to vote in all catagorys or just one at bead star you had to vote in all catagorys to submit

Eleanor Roosevelt

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on Apr 25, 2011 7:57 PM

you did not have to regester but that would not stop you now it is not that hard to become a member and it might bring new people good for interweave

Eleanor Roosevelt

Not Ranked
Posts 10
CathMarissa wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 6:56 AM

While it's exciting to see all of the finalists, I REALLY wish we couldn't see the vote tallies.  I think that knowing who is "winning" will influence other people's votes.

Bummer.

Not Ranked
Posts 22
on Apr 26, 2011 8:12 AM

Hi Cat

"No you didn't have to register in the past and I do see the point in not getting people to vote that way. BUT it also somewhat prevents people from voting on the same one over and over. Keeps it a bit more fair in a sense."

I understand trying to keep a sense of fairness. But I have many friends that are not beaders, that would like to vote, but feel uncomfortable with having to sign up.  

I hope for 2012 there can be some sort of happy mediun for voters.

Kind Regards

Carrie B

Not Ranked
Posts 10
CathMarissa wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 9:08 AM

Carrie, I have the same issue.  I have family that I'm sure would love to come check out my work, but is hesitant to sign up for a community that doesn't really relate to them.

I forgot to mention earlier, but I'm hoping the vote tallies will disappear well before the end of the contest.  Part of the excitement for me in the past is the total lack of knowing who could win.  It was exciting to get the magazine and find out who the finalists were.  Now, as it stands, I can always just check back and see who wins.  Kinda boring.

And a big CONGRATS to everyone who sees their work in the voting gallery!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,273
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 9:46 AM

I found that the way the items are all sort of clumped together, was rather confusing. I think they should have had a separate page for each category. And each page should have been clearly labeled , instead of having to look for the category.

Also I couldn't figure out why you are allowed to vote for more than on in each category. Just how many different entries can one person vote for? it is good that you can only for for the same entry once, but I think you should have not been able to vote for more than on in the same category.

Sorry, I guess I am one that is easily confused when a change has been made.

I applaud those that have entered and  the ones that have been chosen as finalist. Good luck to all.  See you in the magazine when it comes out.

For what ever it is worth, this is just my opinion.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 2 of 9 (127 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS