Holiday Craft Shows

This post has 45 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
DianeU wrote
on Aug 5, 2008 5:14 PM

Now is the perfect time to invest in a variety of fashion magazines including Vogue because everyone wishes they could afford the really good stuff. Go to a mall & see what colors and styles they showing for fall.  Ask a couple teenagers what is hot.  Studies show they have lots of money to spend.  I guess they aren't the one's paying for the higher priced groceries.  I go through the magazines and cut out the things I find inspiring, whether it's color combinations or high priced jewelry, and put them in a scrapbook for reference.  After all that I usually have some ideas of things I want to try.  I try to refuse orders for things in Earth colors and/or stringing because I just don't like them & it takes me forever to finish those projects & I am never happy with them.  I love selling but my arthritis has gotten bad enough that I've given up knitting and making jewelry for anyone but myself & family.  I wish the rest of you a good season!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
DianeU wrote
on Aug 5, 2008 5:22 PM

Hold the glass beads under water as you drill.  It keeps them from heating up.  Try a beadreamer.  I've even seen them at Wal-Mart so you should be able to find one.  You might want to try the micro-macrame with C-lon or some of the thinner cord you can find at Hobby Lobby near the cotton crochet thread.   That might be faster than enlarging the bead holes.  Good Luck!

Diane

Not Ranked
Posts 7
DianeU wrote
on Aug 5, 2008 5:40 PM

Jeni,

I looked at your gallery & I am in awe!  No wonder you can't keep up.  Love the pink & green necklace I think was 2nd and I just may have to try & figure out a way to make a flower cluster like that big one of yours.  I think I would like to put one on a crocheted rope with some leaf dangles. 

Diane

wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 12:15 AM

Thanks, Diane!  I make the flower pendant using one of those metal circles with tons of holes in them.  I didn't have the back piece, so when I was done with the front I covered it in seed beads, and it turned out nicely.  That was a bit of an experiment since I'd never used one of those before, and I had all those pastel pressed glass beads that happened to match.

Funny that red/white stuff doesn't sell in Nebraska, because it sure does in Oklahoma!  This is a state where people use their Christmas lights to write "OU" on their rooftops.  Talk about football crazy!  Does anyone else in Nebraska actually know who ManU are, just out of curiosity?  That's a whole different type of football, after all.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 3:16 AM

Diane, I do appreciate your advice, but you are preaching to the choir as they say. *laughz*

I know that holding them under water or spraying them while drilling will keep them cool, I just don't have any way of holding them while drilling without scratching them up badly or breaking them. I have a set of diamond dust reamers, micro files, and Dremel bits, but all of the cutting tools in the world are worthless if you can't hang on to the beads. See the conundrum now?

I had a brainstorm the other night about a bowling ball vice and the way that it holds the ball for drilling. I am trying to figure out a way to make something along that line, albeit much smaller. If I can figure it out, I can sell a million of them. *laughz* Or 3.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Aug 6, 2008 12:20 PM

Billy, I have an idea for you.  I read one of your posts last week bemoaning a way to hold the beads and it set my mind to working.  And actually, the idea isn't really mine, you can thank M*A*S*H - I was still bouncing the idea around when I caught the episode where Hawkeye and BJ needed a very special clamp.  Viola! that was it!  It seems that you unfortunately know many doctors.  One of them has got to either have a clamp that you could have or buy or can give you the name of the company where they get the clamps.  If you could get your hands on one, I think it would be perfect - they're made to be strong enough for our vital organs but gentle enough for arterial work as well.  And from what I understand, they've got to have a handle easy for any size hand, right.

If this would work for you, when you're working under water, you can simply use your hands to do the work.  But when at your work bench, you could simply hold the clamp in a vice to leave both hands free to do other fine detailed work.

What do you think?  You've got to let us know, and let us know if you can get one and how it really works.

D.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 12:56 PM

I don't know if this would work, but what about a hemastat? It would clamp down on the stone and you can hold the handle end. You would be limited to how thick the stone could be and you would be one handed since you would be holding the handle. 

I have access to one if you want to try it. I would just need an address. If you have a bead size I could try it and tell you if it works before I ship it. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Aug 6, 2008 1:34 PM

Awesome, Sheila!  Even though I don't think I would need it now, I know I will need it in the future (arthritis has already set in in my neck, back, knees and somewhat in my hands).  I would definitely be interested in knowing if a hemastat would work, would you mind please posting for all of us.

Now see, this is one thing I love about crafters - there's no such thing as a BOX!  To those who don't know and understand us, yes, we think outside the box.  But to us, if it works, it works and who cares what the traditional use of a particular thing may have been.

Here's to only using boxes to store books and supplies in!!  Drinks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 2:57 PM

Or as my hubby would say "There is no Box" . I agree. Sometimes the best answers are weird or wild thoughts. I don't drill either but I would be willing to send one to Billy if he wants since he knows what he is doing.

Just to clarify...I could try a bead that size to see if it would fit. I will play with it tonight to see how big it will hold. I would not even begin to drill a bead as that is past my experience level.

wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 1:12 AM

Well, there are boxes, they're just used for storing supplies, not ideas!  Although to read some of the storage posts, that may also be debatable...Confused

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 3:28 AM

AQfter trying to hold beads with the hemastat last night, it would have to be a fairly flat bead. These are a plier shape so it won't hold anything thick. Also with the pointed nose, I don't know if it would allow the bead to spin. SORRY! It may have been a bad idea.

Billy's bowling ball vice may be the trick. I will continue to think on it. AN idea could hit at any time...

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ShelleyB@10 wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 3:52 AM

Its funny. My sister in law and I do several shows together in the fall. We both have different tastes and styles. Even if we have the same beads, only one time did we make the exact same pair of earrings - in 8 years! I am the non greens person so I force myself to make jewelry with all shades of green. She is the non pink person so she forces herself to make all shades of pink. With two of us, we hit quite a few different tastes and styles. She is more eclectic and I am a bit traditional. We both try to cross over into each other's realm and we always come up with such beautiful pieces. You have to try and stay ahead of the trends - dont' rely solely on Michaels, Jo-Anns, or ACMoore bead stock. You need to go to the trade shows and see what is new. Making your own style makes your inventory unique and even if something is left over from last year or the year before - the rightful new owner will come along and pick it up when you least expect it. Store your items in airtight contaners in a cool dry place and you will have no problems carrying that inventory from year to year!

wrote
on Aug 8, 2008 6:50 AM

On the hemastat note-we have a pair that has rounded ends with holes in them from back when we used to own reptiles.  Those would hold a round bead with no problem, since the center is open.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 10, 2008 6:34 AM

The open holed ones may work out, but regular stats won't cut it. I must have 50 pairs of them around in every size you can imagine, but none with holes in them. I'll ask my pharmacist if he can get me some with holes in them to play with. That may just be the quick and easy clamp that I am looking for.

I was brainstorming on the bowling ball vice thing and came up with an idea to drill a number of small holes in various sizes in 2 flat pieces of hardwood. Use these 'jaws' in a vice and put the bead into the smallest hole necessary to hold it, but still allow access to the hole and clamp it down good. In theory, this should work, but we all know about theories in practice. *laughz* I have some pieces of mahogony and a very hard wood from South America that the name escapes me at the moment that I am going to try it with. I'll definitely post the results since I know others have these same issues from time to time. 

Thanks again for all of the ideas, this proves that more heads are better than one. *laughz* Especially when one is a goathead(me). *laughz*

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 585
Karenra wrote
on Aug 14, 2008 4:00 PM

Hobby Lobby has a rock driller, i saw last time i was in the store.  It is made easy so kids can use, even has saftey glass around it. It is only 29.99. It says it will drill holes in rocks, not sure about glass yet. (It is on my wish list :) And not sure if would help you enlarge the holes, you may have to modify it so you can have the just bottom part to hold the rocks.

again not sure if this helps or makes sense, just thought of it on the way home from work.

K

Page 3 of 4 (46 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS