Holiday Craft Shows

This post has 45 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 6, 2008 5:13 PM

At what point do you start your holiday craft show projects? I always seem to find something I want to do for the craft show like 3 days before and then have to rush to try to finish. I do stringing so I think this is part of the problem. I think I can do it and sometimes I do. I usually do 3 craft shows in about 4-6 weeks so if I don't make the first deadline there is always another.

I am always concerned that I won't have enough but then I think I end up making too much. How do you find the balance of demand vs inventory?

I just do what I like but it seems that I don't always hit the "new" and "what is in" fad...

At one craft show I only had a few pieces of green and several ladies commented that I did not have green. I made a few more pieces in green for the next show...at that show is was not the right shade of green. How do you know?

Any thoughts or guidance...

wrote
on Jul 7, 2008 2:43 PM

Boy am I glad I'm not the only one with that problem!  I always think I have plenty of time, until there isn't any more.  I'm actually starting to think about that now.  There are 2 fall bazaars on the base, but I don't know yet whether I'll be able to get into either, so don't know whether to beef up my inventory or wait until I know...then there's Xmas presents that need to get made, but I don't have inspiration yet.

As for what to make, I make what I like, because if it doesn't sell, I'm the one who's wearing it!  That said, I have a few pieces I really need to remake anyway because it's been a while and they still haven't sold, so that means it's just not quite right. 

Don't know if that really helps you, but I can empathize, at least.Tongue Tied

Jeni

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 502
Editor
on Jul 8, 2008 8:47 AM

Hi Sheila,

Your comment about "the right green" reminded me of when I worked at a university and everyone was encouraged to dress in the football team colors on game days.  One of the colors was green and it did need to be a certain shade--that dark forest green--or it wouldn't look right.  I know there are definitely licensing issues for using team logos and even mentioning the team connection, but I wonder if anyone else has pursued the idea of using sports team color schemes as a basis for their jewelry? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,267
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jul 8, 2008 10:15 AM

Yes Michelle I have.

I live in Michigan just a few miles from Ohio. Every year I do a holiday craft show where I attend church. That show is on the same day as the Universty of Michigan and Universty of Ohio football game a big rivalry game in the area. And I make some bracelets that are blue and maze and others that are red and gray. Big Smile

Sue

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 8, 2008 11:49 AM

I have too. We have a HUGE Clemson/Carolina rivalry going on here in SC. I make stuff with orange and purple glass 8mm beads to represent Clemson and also in burgandy(maroon) and black for Carolina. I also do gold and black for the HS that I(and my kids) attended and grey and navy for their rival.  I sell the simple bracelets for $15.00, anklets for $18.00, and necklaces for $22.00. Just simple glass beads on a double strand of 17 strand wire with double crimps so that they can take some abuse without coming apart. I can't get enough beads to keep them on hand and I don't even have a place to sell, just word of mouth. Fortunately, my wife and both daughters have very big mouths! *grinz*

I tried to do some in macramé because that is the majority of what I sell here near the beaches but the holes are just too small and I don't have a way of holding the glass beads while I ream them out with my Dremel and diamond bits. They get too hot to even try to hold by hand and pliers just scratch them up so bad. I even tried masking tape on the plier's teeth, but that doesn't work for glass either. The tape just peals right away and if I use muliple layers of tape, then they slip, so I'm back at bead one. I can do some stones like that, but the glass just evades me at the moment. I'll figure it out one day, or I'll find someone who will tell me how anyway. *laughz*

As long as you don't use their emblems and whatnot, you should be perfectly safe as far as any copyrights and trademarks go. As far as I know, there are no any copyrights on colors since they have been around since the dawn of time. Anyone can make a piece of jewelry out of any colors that they want, including school/university colors.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

wrote
on Jul 8, 2008 12:21 PM

In Oklahoma, anything in crimson & cream or black & orange sells well depending on whether you like OU or OSU.  Stay away from that burnt orange, though (sorry, Texans).

Personally, I'm an unbiased beader, so no matter what your team is, I'm happy to make you something. I have made myself and friends/family some unlicensed fan ware, though.  I figure if it's for my personal use no one's going to shoot me, and it's a fun gift for a diehard.

I guess we're getting really off-topic now, aren't we?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 8, 2008 12:41 PM

Off topic or not I appreciate any thoughts. Here in Indiana you have a lot of different teams that people like. I am fearful that I would be that one person that they make an example of. That actually happened with some t-shirts and the Colts. 

My problem  is I think I don't have enough and make more of any and every thing and then have way too much. ( Okay so that may not be a problem but you know what I mean ). 

wrote
on Jul 8, 2008 12:47 PM

That happened to me for the last bazaar I did (making too much, not being made an example of!).  I made lots of extra bracelets & earrings, and it turned out what I needed was more necklaces!  I did just fine anyway, but I've been trying to do more necklace projects lately to even out my inventory.  I have a habit of making what sounds interesting at the moment, not looking at what I need more of though...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 8, 2008 1:35 PM

As long as you don't use their logos, mascots, and whatnot, there is nothing that they can do to make an example of you. You can use the colors all you want. You can even use the logos and stuff for your own personal use, but you can not sell it.

Again, good luck with your endevor.

Billy ;o)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 8, 2008 2:55 PM

That is true! Just don't advertise it as that particular team. That is what they were doing with the shirts. I have seen some bracelets where someone has handpainted the "Horseshoe" in white on a blue bead...I am too chicken to do that ( nor talented enough for it to resemble the horseshoe.

I have thought of the team colors thing and may try some more of that. I do know that at Fire Mountain Gems they have some licensed NFL team pendents so I have thought about ordering a few of those. I am thinking those could go on a plain black hemp type cord and maybe even a guy would wear it. Depending on size, I was thinking of keychain for guys? I just need to order a couple to check the sizes.

Thanks for the ideas and feedback. At least I am not the only one with issues...( beading and maybe some non beading...)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,267
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jul 8, 2008 5:57 PM

Sheila,

I think you could get in trouble by assuming that it is okay for you to sell them after you buy them from Fire Mountain. Fire Mountain has the right to sell them for your personal use. I Don't think it is legal to make a profit off of them after you buy them. That would be like buying a bunch of licensed NFL jerseys and turn around and sell them for a profit. They can sue you big time. Because you don't have the permission to sell them. Just be careful with that thought.... Where as selling bracelets the colors of the NFL team are not illegal because they don't actualy have their name or mascot on them. They don't own the color but they do own the disigns. 

Just my two cents worth.

Sue

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 9, 2008 9:12 AM

That is true. Thanks for the thought. I guess when it comes to that type of thing it gets hard. Why would they give you a price break if you order 15, 50 or 100+ but think they were all for personal use. It gives me a headache sometimes just thinking about it all. 

I will pursue the team color idea as I had thought of that previously but wasn't sure if it would really be worthwhile. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 9, 2008 9:38 AM

That can't be right. FMG is a wholesale/retail business and if you are in the business of reselling, then you have to be able to resell them without consequence. After all, no one is going to order 50-100 pieces to get the price break and then not resell them. If you could not resell items, then the whole retail commercce thing would break down and you wouldn't be able to buy or sell practically anything. Nowutimeen? Wink

Billy ;o)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 9, 2008 12:00 PM

I just had an instant chat on line with a rep FMG and according to Kim she is stating that it is fine to resale these items. I understand that this is not official word from the NFL however, since the NFL is receiving money from the initial sale to me. I think I may be in the clear. 

It would be no different from me buying a jersey then putting it on ebay and it going for crazy high amounts, right? I don't know...the headache is coming back!

I think after talking with FMG rep I will try a few as I agree with Billy about the quantities. 

I'll let you know if I get a nasty gram from the NFL. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 9, 2008 9:45 PM

Sheila H:

It would be no different from me buying a jersey then putting it on ebay and it going for crazy high amounts, right?  

My point exactly. ;o)

Page 1 of 4 (46 items) 1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS