Need help with hammering....

This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
RobinC@32 wrote
on Jul 3, 2008 2:00 PM

Hello,

I am new to this forum process, so please bear with me.  I have been reading the posts and have already learned so much that I have worked up the nerve to put this question out there.

I work with sterling wire (20, 18, and 16g are my favorites).  I like to hammer the wire and I use a polished anvil and a polished hammer for a shiny finish.  Here is my question:  when I hammer a loose coil (for a pendant or earrings), the wire distorts.  Is there a technique for hammering that will avoid this outcome?  I do pay attention to keeping the piece flat on the surface of the anvil, but the distortion keeps happening.

Many thanks!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 3, 2008 2:34 PM

Everything that I have ever hammered has curled upwards on the edges. I just flip it over and lightly tap the other side to flatten it back out. Keep in mind that I don't do a lot of it and when I do, I use a 200 year old anvil and my dad's favorite ball peen hammer. The head on it has rounded edges so I figured that is what was causing it, but now I am thinking that it is just something that happens and you have to do both sides equally to flatten it back out. An auto body hammer or a chasing hammer both have fairly large completely flat heads and that may work better, but I don't know that for sure. Try this and let me know how it works out for you. ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Not Ranked
Posts 6
RobinC@32 wrote
on Jul 4, 2008 4:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestion...I'll try it and let you know.......

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS