Pendants

This post has 15 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 8:08 AM

I saw a show on tv and they were sewing small seed beads around a larger stone to make a pendant. The instructions were to glue the pendant to the beading material or medium ( I can't remember which term ). They did not explain what type of material this was. 

They then explained how to sew the beads around the larger pendant. It was beautiful. I have thought about doing this but I am not sure what material to glue the main bead too. 

Any thoughts or instructions that I could follow?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
KathleenT@23 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 11:42 AM

have u checked for cabochon pprojects? seed beads around a pendant stone????

Kat

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 12:40 PM

I have not seen anything in the craft/hobby stores by me. I am one of those that needs to see it before I buy it so online is hard for me. 

I was really just wanting to know what the backing was...

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 502
Editor
on Jul 1, 2008 3:41 PM

Ultrasuede or Lacy's Stiff Stuff is sometimes used as backing for cabochons.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 4:00 PM

Michelle,

Thanks! I will try this. I am not sure how well it will work or even if I will do it but now I have the information.

Thanks again!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 9:28 PM

I am doing a silver concho like that now and I used E6K for Jewelry to glue it to a piece of scrap leather(from an old friend's motorcycle jacket that got messed up in a wipe out, but the leather saved his skin).

Then I did a running stitch on the first row(actually the center of 3) of black/white beads to get them on there good and solid. I then coated the entire stitching with a thin coat of the E6K on the rough side to keep them from coming loose.

I then brick stitched the inner circle of red/orange beads to the center row of the black/white ones. It was really quite solid but I don't like to take chances, so I took a toothpick and eased the E6K up under the edges of them and physically glued them to the concho's inside edge.

After that dried good, I trimmed the leather to about 1/8" all the way around the concho. Then I used the E6K to glue that piece of leather to another piece that was fitted for a wrist cuff. When it dried good, I then did a running stitch to make the outer circle in gold metallic beads, going through both layers of leather. I then went all the way back around and basically did a brick stitch to connect the center and outer rows together.

I went and covered all of the exposed stitching on the backside with the E6K. It looks really nice for my first attempt, but I never took the time to actually measure the concho and my wrist. It sticks out on both  sides a little making it look all weird. So it's not going to be a wrist cuff now, but I will figure out a use for it. That was like 12 hours of pretty hard work so I am NOT giving up on it just yet. Leather is one tough customer to get through with a beading needle. You WILL need thimble unless you have some mighty tough skin.

I hope that this gave you a little insight as to another way it can be done. Good luck on your endevor. I am sure that you are going to enjoy it once you get started. I did. ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 11:34 PM

You need to show us a pic of that project, Alastar.  The colors sound fantastic.  May have to use your color scheme as inspiration for something!  I second the E6K on leather.  I did some loomwork strips to decorate a friend's leather jacket, and when for the life of me I couldn't sew through the material to attach the strips, I sewed the loomwork to some fabric, and glued the fabric to the jacket.  Worked great!

Jeni

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 2, 2008 7:20 PM

Here is a couple of bad pics of it. You can sort of get the idea any. I had to use my phone to get the pics and it doesn't have a very good quality. I posted the links in the showcase forum as well. I can't use it for the origional intention without it looking goofy so any suggestions on what to do with it would be muchly appreciated. ;o)

http://tinyurl.com/43m8o5

http://tinyurl.com/46dhl5

wrote
on Jul 3, 2008 5:07 AM

Very nice, Alastar.  That is just about how I pictured it.  You're right, it could make a nice focal piece for a medicine bag or something similar, or you could add it as decoration to a jacket.  I've seen some great denim jackets with various bits of beadwork on them.  Can't go wrong with leather & denim, can you?

Jeni

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 3, 2008 7:37 AM

Ya know, I never thought about that. I have a Jean Jacket that my wife bought me shortly after we got married 20 years ago. It has worn well, but the years have taken it's toll onthe poor demin, so I have actually been doing odds and ends to it for the last 6 months or so. I have taken a couple of bandanas and made patches for the elbows where it is getting VERY thin and I have a piece of that same leather already cut to put on the collar where in folds over. An old girlfriend cross stitched an eagle on my old jacket and I cut the back out when it finally got so bad that it could not be worn. I have it cut out in a 10" circle and sewn onto the back of the jacket. I could put it on the shoulder or the front abve one of the pockets.

Thank you, that is a GREAT idea. I was trying to think of other things to add to it anyway, but that never once crossed my mind. And you are very correct, you can NOT beat demin amd leather. ;o)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 3, 2008 5:34 PM

Thank you for the detailed instructions. It sounds alot like the instructions I remember from the show so I know this is the direction I will go...when I find the time. I want to try so many things that I always run out of time.

Thanks for the information and I am glad you got some ideas for your wonderful piece. It was gorgeous and I think you should find a use for it. Too wonderful to waste or forget about.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 3, 2008 10:10 PM

*blushing* Um, er, ehem, thank you.

Actually, what made me do it was a picture of a Leather Cuff that a lady(I am so sorry but I can't remember her name) posted in the Showcase forum. She has done some beautiful work with oval cabs and seed beads on it and it inspired me to try that with the concho. You really should go take a look at it if you want to see a very clear picture of what this kind of mounting should look like. It's a beautiful piece. ;o)

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Connie76903 wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 10:33 PM

I just checked out a great book on this at my local library.  It is "Beading with Cabachons " by Jamie Cloud Eakin.  It is a Lark Jewelry Book.  You are right, it is really beautiful!  Connie 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
ldarmes1 wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 12:17 AM

Sheila. I use ultrasuede, lacey's or even a thick interfacing. It just depends on what it's going to be.  Because leather is hard to sew through, I use the above mentioned materials then if it is going to worn next to my skin. I then back it with leather. This way the piece canbe wiped. I hope this helps.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
ldarmes1 wrote
on Aug 7, 2008 12:28 AM

Alastar, your piece sounds lovely, to bad I can't view it anymore. May I make a suggestion or two? When stitching on leather, use a glover needle. It's a short needle with a slant tip that pierces leather easier. Also, if you use a thinner leather, it's easier to bead on. Check out Laura McCabes site www.justletmebead.com I took classes from her and she taught me to bead on leather.

Happy Beading!

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS