I REALLY hate not being able to bead

This post has 23 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Mar 21, 2011 5:35 PM

Let me say it again.    I really HATE not being able to bead.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Mar 22, 2011 8:05 PM

How come you can't bead?

I feel your pain, though in my case it's not that I can't, it's that I've had zero motivation. 6 months of all the free time I can stand w/DH gone, and I can hardly make myself do anything: call it my version of being depressed.  As soon as he gets home in 2 weeks (YAY!) and I have zero time, I'll have floods of ideas and I'll just be dying to make stuff again.  Happens every time we're apart. Oh, the irony!

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Mar 22, 2011 9:26 PM

Terrible irony - but perfect sense.  I think creativity requires a certain amount of emotional comfort and a sense of wholeness.  You can't have this with your family ripped apart, even when you know it's temporary.  I'm glad it's only two more weeks!

As for me, I have a chronic illness that keeps me home most of the time, so plenty of time to bead.  But I've been a bit worse than usual this year, so my beading days have been very few.  I was feeling better when I woke up in the middle of the night, though, so I actually got a quick project done.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,951
SEllen 2 wrote
on Mar 23, 2011 9:50 AM

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well.Sad 

Take care and feel better soon.

YIMP!

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 37
kasi1983 wrote
on Mar 23, 2011 10:02 AM

I wish you all the best and hope you will feel better soon.
I know what it's like when you have lots of time to make jewelry but an illness keeps you away from it... Tongue Tied

Kerstin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,317
on Mar 23, 2011 9:09 PM

<raises hand>

I'm Christina and sometimes....I just can't bead either. I have bad wrists that go out on me for months at a time (especially when I trip and fall and land on them)

I hope that life gets back on track for you and that you can bead soon.

Christina,

Rainy Pacific Northwest, Home of The Seahawks. 

http://vintagetreasuresjewelry.blogspot.com 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Mar 23, 2011 10:07 PM

I hear your pain all the way to NM. My Wrist sometimes rejects the rest of my body. (for me its just part of an old injury to the wrists and ole age.:):)Wink I thought I was the only one who got up in the middle of the night to do a quick project.( or finish just 1 UFO) My days, at the VA with DH added to traveling between AZ an NM, I meet myself going and coming. AHhh HA, in the middle of the night, there is no distractions.

Wishing you all Good Thoughts and Healthy Beading soon.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 531
on Mar 24, 2011 4:11 PM

Hope you feel better soon!

Angela

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Mar 25, 2011 6:45 PM

Thanks everyone,  your words mean a lot.  My wrists aren't a problem now, but there have been times I had to wear braces all the time, and hated not being able to work with my hands!  For a crafter, that's worse than a bad knee or ankle. Mary and Christina, I definitely sympathize.

My situation is that all the cells in my body produce energy at a very minimal rate, and I overexerted in January, when I was already worn out from the holidays.  It's like a very poor person who spends more money than he has.  He may spend miserly by other people's standards, but any overspending just makes the financial woes worse, and it may take a long time to recover and restore even a minimal equilibrium to his financial state. 

If I do everything just right (and the creek don't rise Confused ) I function with about 20% of the energy of a normal person, and since every cell in my body is affected, there's a lot of physical and mental wear and tear if I don't stick to that narrow range of function every day - and believe me, I'm far from perfect in that regard!  But I'm getting a lot better at pacing myself.  And beading is both a far less demanding hobby than gardening, and  one that doesn't fall apart if you ignore it for long periods of time. Smile

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 546
CryssT wrote
on Mar 25, 2011 9:17 PM

KipperCat

i hear you.  i just been so tired lately.  nice thing about beads - weeds don't grow if you ignore them.

hope you feel a bit better every day.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on Mar 26, 2011 2:18 PM

*sigh* I don't have the physical problems, but I too haven't been able to bead hardly at all for the past several months.... My excuse is a high maintenance baby boy... only projects I've managed have been the truly NECESSARY ones (ie-- sister's birthday present, mother's birthday present.... ) Yeah, drives me crazy! Now that I CAN"T bead, I have lots of ideas, but when I had the time to do it while pregnant, I didn't have the ideas!Crying

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Mar 26, 2011 4:43 PM

Kryss, I hope you feel better soon, too.

Lois, that must be so frustrating.  I've finally started keeping a list of ideas, and even gone so far as to do a rough sketch of a necklace.  The mess-on-paper might rate an F in art class, but it does fine to remind me what I want to do.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Mar 26, 2011 9:21 PM

Ugh, Liz that's so not fun!  Sometimes I don't feel like I have energy but from now on I'll tell myself to just get over it.Wink

Lois, good to see you posting a bit!  I was the same way when kidlet was born.  Tons of ideas, no time or energy for anything but baby.  I was so proud of myself when I could finally bead a bracelet for my MIL as a thank you for coming over to stay a month and help us out when he was born.  Of course now the challenge is to gently explain that I don't need him to "help" me make my jewelry, though I do give him a few beads to play with from time to time.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

Not Ranked
Posts 14
hethcox9 wrote
on Mar 26, 2011 9:33 PM

I'm 55, all my seven children are old enough to leave my beads alone, and now the wrist and eye problems slow me down. It figures! Today I was shoveling out a goat stall and now I'm feeling it. I have my beading table in front of the tv so at least I can move beads around and play during commercials. Sometimes a necklace comes together fast after I've half-thought about it for several shows! 

Sounds like some of you are military wives? My husband retired after 32 years, but back then I was quilting and sewing during his times away. Just started beading the last 3 years.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Mar 26, 2011 9:40 PM

Welcome!  I'm a military spouse, at least for a couple more months.  DH is about to retire after 22 years in the AF.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS