Stringing flat pendant with one central hole

This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Mar 21, 2011 11:06 AM
I've strung some beads on beading wire with a flattish flower shape in the centre front. I secured the flower by running my wire through its central hole, through a little bead, back through the same hole, pulled it tight and then finished the stringing on the other side. However when wearing this simple necklace, the top of the flower flops forward revealing the wire underneath.

Since the flower 'sits' on the beads behind it as it flops, I tried stringing some tiny beads at this point but it hardly helped.

What am I doing wrong? Can this problem even be solved or is it as I suspect inherent with a pendant which has a single central hole?
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 127
jamberrysong wrote
on Mar 22, 2011 3:06 PM

This is a hard one. And a nuisance, right?! Depending on the rigidity of the material of the pendant, you may be able to create an element with wire behind the flower that you can shape "up" to counterbalance the flopping. This doesn't always help, however.

I wish you luck in trying to find a way and hope that you will share it with us when you do find it!

- jams

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what's essential is invisible to the eye." - Fox, The Little Prince

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Mar 22, 2011 7:52 PM

If I'm picturing it correctly I think it's inherent to the way it was strung and the hole placement as you mentioned.  The best thing to do would be to use a bit of craft wire or a headpin and make a bail for your flower and string the bail over the beading wire so it will sit correctly. 

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Mar 24, 2011 9:44 PM

Oh oh oh I had this same problem with a bracelet I was making and the flower beads, they were actually shank buttons kept flopping around.

What I did was use a donut bead, put it behind the shank, ran the wire through the first hole in the donut, then through the shank, then through the other side of the donut.

Other wise you two angel wing shaped beads facing towards the hole, they should look like this ( flower bead )

The support to hold it forwards comes from using the beads directly behind it.

Actually come to think of it, I took pictures of when I did it cause it flustered the heck out of me!

I used pretty thick hematite donuts so the height matched the beads I used, but there are so many out there you can use, MOP donuts, stone donuts, lucite donuts....whatever fits your pendant. Or like I said, the angel wing shaped beads. I think they come in czech glass, but I've seen betel nuts made into the angel wings as well as wood beads.

As you can see in the pic, I also stuck some clear seed beads in there to keep the wire covered and for more stability. These do not flop around on me anymore!

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 127
jamberrysong wrote
on Mar 25, 2011 5:49 AM

Cat, you're brilliant!!

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what's essential is invisible to the eye." - Fox, The Little Prince

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Mar 29, 2011 2:21 AM

Yesss! That's pretty damn (excuse me, I'm from the UK, what can you expect) good!

Thank you so much for your help.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 583
Karenra wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 8:15 PM

Cat, I would never have thought of your solution!! Thank you!! I have some buttons my daughter wanted made into something, and it was bugging me on how to use them, so Thank you!!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 348
Chibabies6 wrote
on Apr 25, 2011 11:52 AM

Just wanted to chime in my applause with everyone elses.. LOL  Awesome idea!!

Michelle K.

Follow my As They Grow project..  weekly pictures of my 3 chihuahuas from birth to age 1.

http://chibeads.shutterfly.com/

Not Ranked
Posts 3
johnhudson4 wrote
on May 5, 2011 1:35 AM

stringing flat pendant  looks very beautiful and it is very different and look very unique.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on May 5, 2011 7:03 AM
Awe thanks everyone! I racked my brain trying to use those shank buttons so I'm glad I could pass along the info to help others!

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 817
JanineB@7 wrote
on May 7, 2011 9:14 AM

Cat,

You have really made my day...I am working on a necklace that has 6 beaded wire flowers and was scratching my head trying to figure out how to hide the wire on the backside of the flower...

Will have to hit Joann's after work today and find some shell buttons to weave into the backs of my shell flowers...My next delemma is how to fasten them to the necklace so they look like a cluster..

Thanks again for the great info....

Janine

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS