questions about flat spiral stitch~

This post has 32 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Mar 19, 2011 10:55 AM

For all you seasoned beaders out there, if I make a flat spiral stitch necklace, will it lay flat? Or will it "curl" in the middle? Am I better off just making a bracelet length and attaching it on the ends to some chain to make it a necklace length? Thanks for the info!

Karen

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 580
debbiela wrote
on Mar 19, 2011 11:08 AM

Karen, I've made 3 bracelets so far with the flat spiral stitch and all three of them lay perfectly flat.  Now, that said, I've never made a necklace with seed beads at all.  I just can't imagine that partiuclar stitch would curl though.  Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Mar 19, 2011 11:16 AM

thanks! The problem is my sister doesn't really wear bracelets, but she does wear necklaces and earrings. I've watched some videos on how to do this stitch and it looks easy enough for me (a true beginner!) so I'm itching to try it!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Mar 19, 2011 11:44 AM

I've only tried it once for a bracelet and I didn't have any problems with it curling either.  The only issue you might have with curling (so far as I know) is if you were using heavier beads on the outside of the spiral stitch but someone that's done it more often would probably know better.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Mar 19, 2011 12:36 PM

so far I am using 6 mm bicones on the middle, and 4 mm bicones w/  11/0 seed beads for the outsides. Working well so far~I'll post a picture when I get further on.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Mar 19, 2011 12:54 PM

here's a picture of my first HOUR!! LOL! (I know, I'm slow! But I also have way to much thread, but rather have too much than not enough!)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 580
debbiela wrote
on Mar 19, 2011 2:19 PM

It should be just fine.  I used 6mm crystals both bicones and rounds in the center and 4mm same on the outside and 11/0's. 

Looks great  !  And I just learned this stitch a few weeks ago myself.  It's PERFECT for a beginner cause it's so easy to do.  :)

The only bad thing about this pattern is if you have to add thread.  It's a pain in the be-hind to be sure. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
wmweeza wrote
on Mar 19, 2011 2:40 PM

I'm interested to see how this turns out. I've only made bracelets and pendants using flat spiral...good luck!

Edit to add: you just gave me a great idea...I wonder how this would look with graduated colors?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Mar 19, 2011 4:02 PM

The finished product~ used 40 6 mm bicones down the middle, and 4 mm bicones on the outsides. The bicones are Swarovski Crystal Comet Argent Light, so had to be sure to make the solid silver side go the same way. Decided to attach to chain so it could "drape" better. I am quite pleased at how this first attempt finished up.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
wmweeza wrote
on Mar 20, 2011 12:10 AM

Okay, now you've officially made me want to try longer lengths

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 580
debbiela wrote
on Mar 20, 2011 3:35 AM

Ohhhhh, that turned out GREAT Karen !  I think your sister will love it ! 

Wmweeza - I think graduated colors would be great too.  I like just about anything with graduated colors though.  :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Mar 20, 2011 8:05 AM

thanks! I have some Swarovski "mixed" sets that I've been trying to figure out what to do with, but don't think they would work for this. I'm too much of a  "symmetrical" person! LOL! May try spiral rope today and use those for the "spiral" part??? 

Yes, she will LOVE it, and doesn't have a clue it's for her. We are twins and yet NO ONE in my family has any "craftiness" at all! LOL!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Mar 20, 2011 5:16 PM

Sweet!  I love the way it turned out.  Your sister should be proud to wear it.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
Sandra242 wrote
on Mar 21, 2011 8:31 AM

It turned out very pretty. Great job!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 531
on Mar 21, 2011 1:02 PM

That turned out beautifully Karen! Its gorgeous!

The flat Spiral stitch is another project of mine that I need to learn on my long list of projects/areas to complete.

it looks like a seemingly easy and simple stitch,but the design is so beautiful.

Wonderful Job Karen! 

Angela

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS