Why use Nymo at all? Please help me understand..

This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
CynthiaG@26 wrote
on Jun 29, 2008 8:49 AM

I have been beading for some time now and am very puzzled about the use of Nymo. Even some of the most experienced beaders use Nymo in their work.  It seemed to me that Nymo not only stretched too much but was not dependable as far as longevity.

I have used the Japanese SoNo, the equivalent Toho thread, silamide, C-lon, Fireline and others and completely abandoned Nymo as a stringing material.  I know that the choice of stringing material depends on the type of beads being strung and the design but I still wonder why use Nymo at all.

Please help me understand.  I am thinking that I may be neglecting to use a material that I should add to my stringing supply stash.

Thanks so much.

wrote
on Jun 30, 2008 12:45 AM

Hi Cynthia,

I think it's probably a preference thing mostly.  I use a variety of stringing materials depending on what it is that I'm making, but I have to admit I started using Nymo when I started beading because that's what all the bead stores sold at the time, other than Beadalon, etc. 

I don't have too many problems with it as long as I keep its limitations in mind.  I don't use it with bugles or crystals, or if it's something that might stretch out over time.  For loom and off-loom work with mainly seed beads however, I rarely have an issue with it.

That's my 2 cents, hope it helps!

Jeni

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
CynthiaG@26 wrote
on Jun 30, 2008 6:45 AM

Thank you, Jeni.  That DOES help. And you are correct; when many of us started beading Nymo was the most prevalent offering. It's wonderful to see the wonderful things that have developed over the years with more beading and the sharing of cultures.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,034
Editor
on Jul 23, 2008 6:03 PM

Personally, I never use Nymo for stringing projects, it's for bead weaving only, and to be honest, I like it the best of any of the threads available.  The only thing I've ever used that I liked almost as much is Silamide, which I don't see around anymore.

But for all of my bead weaving projects, I use Nymo.  I love it!  I love the colors, I love how easy it is to use, and I love the feel it gives to my pieces.  It makes my right angle weave feel just like a piece of bead fabric!

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 244
Nemeton wrote
on Jul 28, 2008 1:44 PM

I use nymo a lot - it's cheap, the colours are good, and it comes on those dinky little spools which are ideal for slipping into a kit or a little box of goodies for beading on the go. I am experimenting with KO thread at the moment but although I like it better I have a vast supply of nymo that I am far too much of a cheapskate ever to throw away!

You do get used to nymo after a while and it doesn't seem so bad - you can take most of the stretch out of it by giving it a good tug before using it, and if you bead with relatively short lengths it never has the chance to fray and go all hairy on you, which is its least endearing characteristic!

Edited to add - I wouldn't choose nymo for stringing, except maybe for the odd strand of seed beads - there are lots of other threads that are better. But for beadweaving, it suits me fine!

Lynn

My website: http://lynndavybeadwork.co.uk/

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
crafty-cat wrote
on Aug 3, 2008 8:38 PM

I'm a newbie and started stitching with Nymo simply because it semed to be the most used thread. I've had no problems using it - with thread conditioner. I've used it for a couple of loom projects and also peyote stitch bracelets - with no stretching after moderate wear for 6 months or so - but I did make sure to pull each row tight.

wrote
on Aug 4, 2008 12:30 AM

I think pulling on Nymo is the key to using it successfully.  I usually pull it through my fingers a couple times before I start each thread, and pull tightly as I weave.  Most of the time that does the trick.  I've actually never tried thread conditioner.  It seems like it would be a hassle, so I've just never bothered.  That said, I could be missing out.  I guess it's just a preference.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS