I'm back....I think.....I hope and Happy Mardi Gras

This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,788
Cathy wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 10:29 AM

Hi Everyone,

Boy have I missed you all. It's been a difficult few months.

The end of 2010 was a little tough for us financially but things are looking a little better - even though State employees (which I am) are not getting our small merit increase for the second year in a row. 

Third grade Math was kicking my youngest's behind and we've been working hard and I think he's finally getting the hang of it.  I think part of it is that he doesn't really care for Math and part of it, according to his teacher, may be that he's so creative, the "logical-ness" of Math is too much for his creative brain.I think he finally realized, too, that we were serious about taking his favorite toys away for bad grades and is buckling down and doing his best.

We were able to go see my grandfather (last living grandparent and only grandfather I knew) between Christmas and New Years - he'd turned 90 right before Christmas.  He'd just gotten home from another stroke.  He had to go from his Assisted Living Apartment to the Alzheimer's Unit but he was doing well (for about a week)  and knew me, DH and sons.  Then he got pneumonia in early January and passed in mid-January, on my birthday.  That was a tough one.  He was one-in-a-million - so much so that I looked to marry someone like him - and feel I did.

I'm doing well with my Diabetes.  I had been taking pills twice a day to try to prevent for a few years - didn't work.  But, my blood sugars  and blood work have been so good, I'm down to once a day on the meds.  My dr also said that his diabetics are usually on cholesterol meds but my choles (reg, 'good' and 'bad') are all good so there's no reason for me to be on it.  Still trying to take some of the weight off,

Off today for Mardi Gras - it's a state holiday (we don't get President's Day).  The kids are usually out the Mon and Tues of Mardi Gras but this year my kids' school is out the whole week (they started earlier than the public schools here)

Sorry I've been a little long winded.  I'm going to read some posts and try to catch up some. Happy Mardi Gras!!! 

Cathy

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"What matters in life is not great deeds, but great love." - St. Therese of the Child Jesus

"The laughter of a child is the light of a house" - unknown

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,328
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 11:44 AM

Welcome back Cathy, it has been awhile since we seen you.

So sorry to hear about your Grandfather, however, it was good that you got to have a nice visit with him before his passing.

Glad to hear that your diabetes it finally responding to treatment. I am not diabetic, but my Mom and my husband both are. My hubby has been for 2 years now, and my Mom for about 20 years. She first saw signs of diabetes at the age of 70. she is now 93 in September and she is doing very well. She has really taken care of herself and she doesn't have any of the complications associated with diabetes, other than she had to have 3 stints places two years ago. So take good care of yourself and do as the doctor says and you should be able to have a long healthy life.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 553
CryssT wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 6:08 PM

Welcome back. 

Glad there's been good to offset the bad and the sad.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 9:44 PM

Good to hear from you again!  Glad things are finally looking up, and sorry you lost your grandfather.  Hope everything continues on an upward trend and I look forward to your future posts. Hugs from OKC. :)

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,974
SEllen 2 wrote
on Mar 9, 2011 8:20 AM

Welcome back!

I've thought about you often but figured the kids and school were keeping you busy.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your grandfather. He sounds like a wonderful man. You are blessed to have him in your life and in your heart. As long as you remember him he will never be far from you.

Can't wait to see you posting more again.

Have a great day off.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Mar 9, 2011 10:40 AM

Cathy:
Third grade Math was kicking my youngest's behind and we've been working hard and I think he's finally getting the hang of it.  I think part of it is that he doesn't really care for Math and part of it, according to his teacher, may be that he's so creative, the "logical-ness" of Math is too much for his creative brain.

Math and art:  Check out these two:

Mandelbrot may help, he is a mathematician who 'discovered' FRACTALS.

Wikipedia has good info, but may be too deep, but the illustrations are GOOD!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandelbrot_set

This is on Youtube, and shows a video of the fractal   It's pretty good.  There are more on there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_GBwuYuOOs

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,974
SEllen 2 wrote
on Mar 9, 2011 1:08 PM

Stan,

So glad to see you post.

I've been wondering where you were.

I hope you and your DW have been okay.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 411
Memoosim wrote
on Mar 9, 2011 8:08 PM

Cathy, so glad you're back.  Sorry to hear about your Grandfather.  I lost my mom to Alzheimers 10 years ago this week.  It bites.

Stan...... was wondering where you went.  Good to see you back.

Cherie

Dance.  Even if you're the only one who hears the music. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Mar 9, 2011 10:13 PM

Welcome Back Cathy.

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I never knew my Grandpa, but I still miss my Grandma, after 50yrs, so, those we love really do, live in our hearts and memories forever.

Your so Special that he chose to leave on your Birthday. (you must have been his favorite).(((The gift was, "He isn't suffering anymore")))

hugs,mary

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,788
Cathy wrote
on Mar 11, 2011 7:02 PM

Thank you all so much.  Your kind words and thoughts mean a lot to me. 

You're right, Mary!!!  He did tell me once that I was one of his favorite people.  I told him that was pretty funny because he's one of mine. 

Thanks for the info, Stan.  I'll check it out with my youngest.

Busy weekend ahead so not sure how much I'll be able to catch up with everyone this weekend.  But so far,nothing planned for nex weekend.  Hopefully I can catch up then

Cathy.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"What matters in life is not great deeds, but great love." - St. Therese of the Child Jesus

"The laughter of a child is the light of a house" - unknown

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS