help with diagonal peyote?

This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 32
luciesmom wrote
on Mar 1, 2011 1:12 PM

I have a pattern that is diagonal weave peyote stitch,  dont know how to do it, is there a easy way to start, cant seem to find much online about it, I know once I get going I will be ok, but so far cant seem to grasp it. any help out there, thanks in advance.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,328
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 1, 2011 3:28 PM

I am not sure I understand what it is that you are trying to do. Is it a St. Petersburg stitch? Can you give us an example of what it is? I really would love to help but I for one need more information.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,834
KipperCat wrote
on Mar 2, 2011 12:35 PM

Can you show us a picture?  There are a few things that could be called diagonal peyote - if you google the term, you should find the type you mean.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 32
luciesmom wrote
on Mar 2, 2011 1:30 PM

Ok. the closest I can come to describing this stitch , its a pattern for a christmas ball cover and when its hanging on the ball  , looking at it , it looks like the letter W. The pattern calls it a diagonal peyote stitch, but I cant seem to find too much info on it at all,         thanks for your help

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 32
luciesmom wrote
on Mar 2, 2011 1:34 PM

The only thing I found online about  this stitch is at Squidoo.com. and type in diagonal peyote stitch and it shows a necklace made with this stitch,  maybe you could look at that , it gives directions there , but still cant get it,  hope you can help me. thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Mar 2, 2011 9:22 PM

I think that might be more like bead netting, which is similar to peyote stitch (think of peyote like 1-bead netting).  If you do a search for that you may have better luck.  In the Readers Showcase section there are a couple of recent posts about beaded ornament covers that use netting so you might have a look and see if it's the same thing.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,328
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 3, 2011 8:50 AM

Luciesmom,

I found this tutorial. I think this is what you are needing, or I hope it is.

http://beadworkstudio.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-tutorial-diagonal-peyote-necklace.html

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 588
NicoleT24 wrote
on Mar 3, 2011 10:50 PM

I've seen instructions that call for "diagonal peyote" for bezeling a cabochon; but I think that's probably something of a misnomer. Like Sue mentioned (and gave a link to) I think it's really a St. Petersburg stitch variation. At least when I've looked at instructions for "diagonal Peyote" it really does seem to be good old St. Petes. Most people consider it to be one of the more difficult stitches to learn, but I personally found it fairly simple once I got going. Sue's link again, is a good one.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
on Mar 5, 2011 4:47 PM

Hi,

Russian leaves can be done in both diagonal peyote and St Petersburg stitch.

Here is a diagonal peyote leaf from a Russian site . She calls it Oblique Peyote. Just diagrams but it is  pretty clear:

http://biser-club.narod.ru/tut/oblique.htm

Your ornament patterns sounds gorgeous. Can you tell us where you bought it? I'd love to see it.

Sandy

Down Under

Sandy

Down Under

Not Ranked
Posts 4
J Zimmerman wrote
on Mar 27, 2011 6:07 PM

Hello all,

I have been searching for the same (Ithink) diagonal (zipzag) peyote stitch for several days now.  I have borrowed a pic from Louise Hill Designs collection showing the exact stitch I am trying to find.  I think it mostly because I don't know what to call it that I found it difficult to find. 

If anyone can tell me an easier or just any way to make this stitch, I would be most grateful. 

http://www.louisehilldesigns.com/beadweaving_gallery/serendipity.html

I hope this helps the other young lady who was looking for the same thing. 

Thanx and God Bless

Jeanne Z

Not Ranked
Posts 4
J Zimmerman wrote
on Mar 29, 2011 11:02 AM
on 03-27-2011 8:07 PM

Hello all,

I have been searching for the same (Ithink) diagonal (zipzag) peyote stitch for several days now.  I have borrowed a pic from Louise Hill Designs collection showing the exact stitch I am trying to find.  I think it mostly because I don't know what to call it that I found it difficult to find. 

If anyone can tell me an easier or just any way to make this stitch, I would be most grateful. 

http://www.louisehilldesigns.com/beadweaving_gallery/serendipity.html

I hope this helps the other young lady who was looking for the same thing. 

Thanx and God Bless

Jeanne Z

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,328
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 29, 2011 5:12 PM

Jeanne,

After close examination of this necklace, I think that necklace could have been done with a brick stitch. I think it would be easy to do in brick, a little more challenging in peyote.

When I have time later tonight I will try and replicate the stitch in brick. I'll post here the results from my test.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 360
Beading_Sue wrote
on Mar 30, 2011 12:41 PM

If you can get hold of a copy, Carol Cypher's book, Mastering Beadwork, has a tutorial on diagonal peyote stitch. According to the instructions, you alternate between starting a row with an increase and stopping same row 1 bead short, and doing a normal row of peyote, starting with an 11/0 seed bead and finishing the row with 8/0 beads.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Sally@6 wrote
on Apr 1, 2011 1:24 PM

Beth Stone's book "Seed Bead Stitching" has a section (page 20) on diagonal peyote. Lots of illustrations, too.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
CathyL@28 wrote
on Apr 21, 2011 6:11 AM

you may be refering to my ornament cover pattern called "Grace" .pattern discribes each step with diagrams

thanks! Cathy

http://www.thatbeadlady.com/beads?action=detail&id=2286

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS