Cooking help - please =)

This post has 30 Replies | 4 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,472
Evalie wrote
on Feb 7, 2011 7:28 PM

Inca,

Try this one.....

Lightly brown the chicken breasts in a little oil in fry pan.

Mix together 1/2cup of honey, 1 1/2 cups of orange juice, and 1 tsp. curry powder ( mild indian curry ).

put chicken in baking pan, and pour mixture over it.

Add sliced wedges of pears, and about a 1/2 cup of raisins

Bake for about 45 minutes at about 350 degrees.

Evalie

Massachusetts Coast

http://www.etsy.com/shop/4evadorn 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Feb 7, 2011 8:02 PM

Evalie:
about 350 degrees.

i guess that is your kinda degrees ?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 7, 2011 9:26 PM

Yep, about 180 C.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,472
Evalie wrote
on Feb 8, 2011 5:11 PM

Yeah...Thanks,Jeni

Sorry, Inca....forgot about that whole conversion thing....Embarrassed

Evalie

Massachusetts Coast

http://www.etsy.com/shop/4evadorn 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 8, 2011 8:18 PM

Any time. :)

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Feb 9, 2011 5:57 AM

I kinda guess since my oven stops at 250 .... =)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Feb 9, 2011 1:15 PM

Dare I say Chicken & Noodles? I love those. If I have time I make my own noodles. But they have an amish brand that is cheap and taste just as good! I boil the chicken in some chicken broth. Once the chicken is done I remove it, add the noodles to the boiling broth. Once noodles are done, I turn down the heat, spoon out a couple of ladles of broth into a bowl. I shred the chicken and put it back in the pot. 

With the broth that has been placed in a bowl, I will stir/whisk in some flour. Then I will stir this back into the pot. This will thicken the broth as we prefer our Chicken and Noodles thick! None of that clear stuff for us. 

Then I will fished mashed potatoes! Hubby loves to get a bowl, put in the mashed potatoes and make a hole/well in the middle. And ladle on the chick and noodles. Meal in a bowl! I could and usually do eat this for lunch and dinner for 2-3 nights! LOL! 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Feb 9, 2011 1:38 PM

I dont think i understood any of that ... 
but dosnt noodles taste boring ...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Feb 9, 2011 2:45 PM

Zerenity by Inca:

I dont think i understood any of that ... 
but dosnt noodles taste boring ...

No, noodles are great if you know how to cook and season them.

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 250
Claudette48 wrote
on Feb 9, 2011 7:15 PM

Yummy, simple, inexpensive, and will last 2 or 3 days.  Also, it's healthy.  You can use a crock pot or a pot on the stove.

Saute an onion.  Add 6 cups of water and washed chicken and cook until the chicken falls apart.  Add 1 1/2 cups of rice and a heaping teas of Italian herbs if you like a herb flavor - I do.  Cook until done.  Watch to make sure you always have enough water.  Less water and you have a stew.  More water and you have soup.  15 minutes before you serve add garlic, paprika, salt and pepper to taste.  You can leave the paprika out if you like.

Note: salt should always be the last ingredient in any dish, added at the end of the cooking cycle, because it toughens meats and other ingredients, like beans, noodles, some vegetables, etc.

If you like Mexican food, boil the chicken until it falls apart with a chopped onion and bell pepper, garlic, pepper - salt at the end.  Using a slotted spoon, drain mixture into a heated flour tortilla rolling it like a burrito.  Delicious.  Save the liquid for a great stock for gravy.

If you're interested in a very elegant, but easy and fairly inexpensive chicken dish let me know.  I'll behappy to share it.

Good Luck 

Claudette

amagnetaday

Claudette

Claudette

Tip: To stop metal findings from tarnishing store in a ZIP Lock bag with a chunk of chalk.

amagnetaday

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Feb 11, 2011 3:10 AM

Noodles boring? Never! LOL! These are really good. They are just home comfort food. I love to fix these on those cold cold days. A hot bowl of chicken and noodles with mashed potatoes are the best!

The noodles are wider and thicker than spaghetti. They take on the flavor of the chicken broth when you cook them so they have more flavor. Taking some of the broth out and adding flour to it turns the broth thicker. It also has more flavor too. It is much thicker and heartier than chicken and noodles out of the can. Not quite as thick as a cream of chicken soup, but more along that line of thinking. If you have time you should try it. If you want more specific directions, please e-mail me. I would be happy to send you my recipe!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 523
on Feb 11, 2011 12:56 PM

A family favorite in our house is lemon pepper chicken.

Use the fresh juice from  2 or 3 lemons

1 or 2 tablespoons of cooking oil or olive oil

1/2 to 1 teaspoon of coarse of fresh ground black pepper

optional add-ins for even more flavor:

1 teaspoon dried basil, or 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped

1/2 to 1 teaspoon of dried garlic granules,

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

(you can add just one of these or all of these)

Mix lemon juice, oil, and pepper together in a bowl big enough to put your pieces of chicken in (this recipe works for about 6 pieces of boneless chicken breasts). Add your choice of the remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour over chicken and let it marinate for several hours or overnight.

Our favorite way to cook it is grilling but if you don't have a grill you can

bake in the oven at about 350 degrees (converted to  C) for about 35 to 40 minutes or until thoroughly cooked or you can

cook it in a skillet or broil it under your broiler.

We usually serve it with white rice or couscous mixed with a little parmesan cheese and a nice green salad.

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 74
on Feb 11, 2011 1:28 PM

My ex's family made this chicken tortilla casserole: brown 3-4 chicken breasts, less if you want this more cheesy and less "chicken-y." Shred the chicken, and season it with queso or tomatillo sauce, set aside. In a square baking dish, lay down a layer of corn tortillas. Top with shredded cheese (I use cheddar and monterrey jack), some of the chicken, more cheese, and a flour tortilla. Cheese, chicken, cheese, another tortilla. Fill the dish with these layers, top with the rest of the cheese and some jalapenos, chilies or salsa and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Meanwhile, heat up some refried beans (make your own from pinto, or buy them in a can) and serve slices of casserole on top of the beans.

You see those bushes over there? I've tried them berries green, and I've tried 'em red, and I've tried 'em brown. And I have come to the conclusion that they just ain't good berries! --Tommy, the Aging Groundskeeper at the Community College

Not Ranked
Posts 4
paleopoet wrote
on Feb 12, 2011 5:22 PM

I love cooking simple tasty food with flavors that really showcase the taste of the food itself rather then drown it out in seasoning or sauce. Therefore, I will give you my recipe for a simple easy chicken marinade that will really give the chicken good flavor rather then drown it out.

Olive oil, salt, pepper, crushed garlic. Yep, that's it. Use a lot of salt and pepper since it's the only real seasoning, and plenty of chopped or crushed garlic. Marinate for a few hours in the fridge, opening it up and tossing it around and really rubbing the mixture into the skin once and awhile. Then pan fry or grill.

If pan frying, when you remove the chicken, add a tablespoon (or two depending on how much chicken) of butter and melt it mixing it with all the juices and scraping up all the yummy brown bits from the pan.Toss in a splash of white wine, bring to a simmer,  and you have a simple, delicious sauce.

Enjoy!

Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS