Bead Weaving

This post has 15 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 10
ElenaMirrix wrote
on Jan 5, 2011 6:27 PM

Wondering how many of you out there weave beads as opposed to off-loom work. Which do you rather and why?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jan 5, 2011 9:43 PM

I do both on and off loom weaving but it depends on the project I have in mind what method will work best.  I probably do more off loom if I had to specify, but I'm anxiously awaiting Erin Simonetti's book on loomwork!

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Not Ranked
Posts 10
ElenaMirrix wrote
on Jan 6, 2011 3:05 PM

Have you joined her Facebook group? She's opening it up for a few days and then will close it again. (Make sure you post something when you join or you won't be included after it closes.) I can't wait to see the book! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=104372662942696

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 6:35 PM

Hi Elena,  I only do off-loom weaving.  I've never used a loom, but will definitely try it one of these days.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,258
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 8:12 PM

I also just do the off loom weaving. I will also one day take the leap of faith and try the loom weaving.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
freesue wrote
on Jan 25, 2011 3:40 PM

JSmaz i have just started loom weaving and have been looking online at Erin Simonetti's  work it is amazing. What i am having trouble is finding the books, where did you find her book?

I really want to try and do some 3D weaving. 

Not Ranked
Posts 10
ElenaMirrix wrote
on Jan 25, 2011 3:52 PM

Erin's book has not been published yet. There are lots of places you can learn more about Erin and her techniques. She was the featured artist in the Mirrix Looms weekly newsletter yesterday and this was the biography she provided (with links).

Erin Simonetti is a Bead Loom Artist who enjoys sharing her experience and personal looming techniques with other Bead Artists, on her Blog, www.beadsbeadingbeaded.blogspot.comand her website, www.beadsbeadingbeaded.com , wanting to reawaken the interest in this historic form of seed bead weaving. Erin’s loomed wearable Art has been published in magazines, how-to beading books, highlighted in bead suppliers’ advertising campaigns and she has won or placed in multiple International Beading Contests, as well as accepting the title of ‘Best In Show’. Her unique bead looming methods were outlined and discussed in jewelry and design trade show publications, offering photographs of Erin looming and suggesting her talents as an inspiration for all jewelry and fashion designers. Presently, Erin is finalizing details of a book, due to be published and will set the tone of bead looming for all bead weaving enthusiasts. Presently, she is redefining bead looming techniques by offering her ideas and methods, about bead looming, in her Blog and as a featured contributor to ‘Inside Mirrix’,www.mirrixmarketing.blogspot.com , an informative Blog about weaving. Just following along, with either Blog, you will feel you have a how-to, E-Book of Bead Looming, available anytime, online.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 588
NicoleT24 wrote
on Jan 26, 2011 8:17 AM

I'm pretty much strictly an off-loom weaver, although, 20+ years ago when my bead obsession kicked in, looming was the first kind of weaving I did. I completed 3 or 4 projects, couldn't figure out how to do anything other than a long strip of beads LOL, and found peyote shortly thereafter and dropped looming all together. For along time I thought looming wasn't good for much.... until... I saw Erin's work and have been in awe ever since! I might pick up looming again at some point, but I'll need something other than a $8.00 loom from the craft store. LOL.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
ElenaMirrix wrote
on Jan 26, 2011 9:06 AM

Certainly the quality of the loom you use and the tension it has is important. One upside is that if you compare weaving on a loom to peyote or brick stitch or square stitch, especially when using a shedding deice, weaving on a loom is exponentially  faster.

I hope you give it a try! 

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Avion49 wrote
on Jan 28, 2011 5:06 AM

I have a nice loom that DH bought me.  He'd like me to make a hatband for his black western hat.  I just don't have a clue as to how to finish it off!  I'd love to drag it out and try this technique again.

http://avion49.wordpress.com  My newly created blog!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Penbeads wrote
on Aug 1, 2011 3:30 PM

I prefer off loom because its free form.........love that free weaving thing absolutely.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 563
kareng915 wrote
on Aug 2, 2011 12:53 AM

NicoleT24:
I'm pretty much strictly an off-loom weaver, although, 20+ years ago when my bead obsession kicked in, looming was the first kind of weaving I did. I completed 3 or 4 projects, couldn't figure out how to do anything other than a long strip of beads LOL, and found peyote shortly thereafter and dropped looming all together.

LOL .. I'll just use your reply Nicole.. it's pretty much exactly what I would have said!!

karen  ~  BeadDelirium    blog  |  artfire 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 924
on Aug 7, 2011 11:35 AM

i just found this thread!

It's no secret, to those who know me, my favorite form of bead weaving is 'bead looming'! I also wanted to chime in to say that there are some new and updated techniques I have created which is making bead looming more enjoyable and fun! No warps to weave, no papaer clips to fiddle and not glue or tape. I have tried to prove to myself, that my methods of warp management really do change the minds of bead weavers by creating a closed Group on Facebook. There I offer so much info about bead looming, never seen in a book to date and also offer classes to take for learning these techniques. So far, every Member is now hooked on bead looming!!

OK, so I guess you realized by now. I am on a mission to bring bead looming to the forefront of bead weaving skills, today! Please stop by my blog and read about some of these techniques, but if you feel you want to get more involved and learn what I do not post publically, request to join my "BLI U", (A Bead Looming Intervention University)!!

I'm also going to share some of my recent works, here in the forum, to show how looming is not just for creating strips of beading!!!

(Oh, Jeni is also a Member of my Group...she is doing some amazing looming now!!) Big Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 66
Ceffyl1 wrote
on Dec 11, 2012 10:38 AM

I use beads in any way possible :).

It depends on what I'm working on, that influences what type of stitch I use. Sometimes some of the off-loom stitches work better for some projects. Sometimes looming just doesn't cut it, but some projects are faster and more practically done using a loom.

It all depends.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
destyoo wrote
on Dec 11, 2012 7:48 PM

Wondering how many of you out there weave beads as opposed to off-loom work  I know beadsSmile

kangyan.net
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS