2011 submissions

This post has 56 Replies | 9 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
DMB Designs wrote
on Jan 4, 2011 11:09 AM

I was trying to figure out when the rules and submission dates will be for the 2011 contest. Anyone know?

~Dana

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 128
Kristal Wick wrote
on Jan 4, 2011 11:49 AM

Here you go!

Best of luck everyone!

http://www.beadstar.com/Bead-Star-Rules.asp

Editor Beading Daily

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Jan 4, 2011 1:57 PM

The rules of the contest are TOTALLY changed this year.

they added a beadweaving category, and have taken away "under $25" and seed beads (unless they are bead woven).

Now there will be only 4 winners in each category, not 5.

3rd and 4th place get NOTHING. NO PRIZE.

there are more significant changes as well. I'm so NOT digging the new rules.

Erin S

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Jan 4, 2011 2:10 PM

I agree Erin, I'm totally disappointed in the changes this year.

I mentioned in another post that seed beads have contests all over the place and it was nice that this is   was ONE contest for Stringers that didn't have to compete with weaving.

I would nearly put money on it that the grand prize winner next year will be a Bead Woven piece. That basically eliminates the stringers/wire workers from ever having the chance.

Also that is a LOT of work to do for third and fourth place to get nothing out of it. People DO copy these designs in these magazines (and yes I"m sure there are plenty of people that sell them as well) and for those that will place in 3rd and 4th and to get nothing in return but a bunch of people copying their work is pooie. Exposure is great, but having no prizes stinks.

I'm not happy either Erin.

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Jan 4, 2011 2:30 PM

I just emailed Melanie Stafford, who is the editor of Bead Star. She emailed back right away (she is always very nice and very quick to respond).

I asked if you could now use beadweaving techniques in all the categories or if it was limited only to the bead stitching category. She responded that beadweaving will ONLY be allowed in the beadstitching category. NOT the other categories. So I'm fine with that. Bead weavers get their own category, (which is only fair) but they still don't get to mess with our old categories. :-)

I agree with you Cat--I will lay money down right now that next year's grand prize winner will be bead weaving.

She also said that no prizes for 3rd and 4th place was unfortunately a budget decision made by Interweave. I suggested they could at least offer a subscription to one of their magazines as payment, which would hardly cost them anything. If you get work accepted into any of the other interweave publications, you get paid. I think this may keep many good designers from entering if there is no prize involved. But thats just my 2 cents. I'm sure plenty of people would be happy enough just to be published.

Erin S

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Pyanfar wrote
on Jan 4, 2011 8:23 PM

Or what about giving a gift certificate to the Interweave store? Many of us have more than one creative hobby and a couple of free books of your choice would be nice.

Have any of the sponsors pulled out this year? Is that part f the financial problem?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 272
abney_m wrote
on Jan 5, 2011 8:25 PM

I totally don't like the idea of a beadweaving only category. I am a beadweaver and one of the things that drew me to Bead Star was the challenge of doing something with seed beads other than weaving them. I loved it and won 2nd place this year!!!! I was so excited to try to enter the contest next year with a new way to use seed beads that didn't require weaving them, but I still love the seeds and will probably still try to enter.

However, I'm not with you guys on the fact that the winner will be a bead weaver. It's very hard to come up with a completely new design and it's going to be interesting to see the kind of limitations that are put on the rules for bead weavers, because it's difficult to create something that won't infringe on copyright.
I understand why they can't give a prize to 3rd and 4th place though, I think it's lack of support from sponsors.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
bedazzler wrote
on Jan 10, 2011 7:29 AM

so if I am not mistaken You can't Submit when you live  outside the USA or Canada?

If So that's Not fun

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on Jan 25, 2011 9:29 AM

Dose that mean we can not submit just seed beads this is a bummer I have been working on something all year for that category: (  there are some pearls in it but it is almost predominately strung  seed beads!!! I wanted to enter last year but took a fall and messed up my hand had me out of commission for 5 months I have been working on stuff since then to submit this year that is a bummer…….

" the future belongs to those who belives in the beauty of their dreams"

Eleanor Roosevelt

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Jan 25, 2011 10:05 PM

Magickal Hands:

Dose that mean we can not submit just seed beads this is a bummer I have been working on something all year for that category: (  there are some pearls in it but it is almost predominately strung  seed beads!!! I wanted to enter last year but took a fall and messed up my hand had me out of commission for 5 months I have been working on stuff since then to submit this year that is a bummer…….

I know how you feel. I had an awesome idea planned for seed beads this year and now I can't use it Crying  I"m not happy with a lot of the changes this year and as I understand most others aren't either.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
CowanJ wrote
on Feb 5, 2011 6:39 AM

I was considering entering the Bead-Star 2011 competition.  I have one question....does a Bead Embroidered piece qualify as Bead Weaving?  My pieces do include peyote and brick stitches.

Thanks,

Julie C.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,237
popnicute wrote
on Feb 5, 2011 10:46 AM

I have a CRITICAL question!

I read the guidelines that anyone who RESIDES in the US and Canada can enter. Does this mean we don't have to be a legal resident?

I am not a legal resident YET, I'm still in the process of being one/getting a green card. I'm married to a US resident, so naturally I'll become one. I'm residing in the USA right now and I entered the US through fiance visa (legal documents). I'm not an illegal alien.

Can I enter this contest?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Feb 5, 2011 11:24 AM

Julie I don't think bead embroidery would fall into the seed bead weaving category but I would think it's best to asks the editor of the magazine, Melanie Stafford. She could provide the best answer.

Same for you Kay, that's a gray area question.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
catdaddy wrote
on Feb 5, 2011 12:20 PM

I never seem to vote for the winners.  (ha ha)  I am sorry to hear that the under $25 category has been eliminated.  I have wanted to enter, but never have.  I'm not so good with photos and putting them online.  Maybe, I can get one of my kids to show me.

Several folks won in multiple categories this time.  What talent!

thanks.  Cynthia

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 5, 2011 3:57 PM

Kay, I think you should go ahead and enter.  What's the worst they can say, right?  You're residing here with no intention of leaving so why not?

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Page 1 of 4 (57 items) 1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS