I need info to make a beaded Bic lighter cover - UPDATE

This post has 33 Replies | 7 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 480
Calico3 wrote
on Dec 16, 2010 4:42 PM

I want to make a cover for a standard size Bic lighter. I don't need an actual pattern for a design (I'll create my own),  just the dimensions - number of bead rows, etc., using Delica #11 beads.

Can anyone help?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
on Dec 17, 2010 7:58 PM

Haven't made one in years but don't think I had counts.

As this pattern mentions, make a circle around a lighter,  count your beads and you can then chart out a design using those counts:

http://members.tripod.com/ciara_n/worldofwonders/lighter.htm

A lighter gets handled a lot so make sure to use a good strong thread like Fireline.

Sandy

Sandy

Down Under

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Dec 17, 2010 9:13 PM

Just my thoughts. I always use a Square Stitch on Lighter Covers and Cell phone covers.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Dec 18, 2010 4:06 AM

Do you have the one to bead around? That would make it easy to count the beads. Otherwise it would be guesswork.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 480
Calico3 wrote
on Dec 18, 2010 5:37 AM

Kokopelli:

Do you have the one to bead around? That would make it easy to count the beads. Otherwise it would be guesswork.

I didn't, but now I do.

And for anyone else who wants to make one, start by stringing 52 beads for the height of the lighter. Work your rows until you get 39 beads along the top and bottom edges, then zip up the sides. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Dec 19, 2010 5:41 AM

Love that Kokopelli design. Ofc I do! Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 22
LoriF@13 wrote
on Jan 2, 2011 10:35 AM

For future reference or for those who don't wish to create their own patterns, there are lots here too:

http://www.bead-patterns.com/shop/shop.php?category=159

(no affiliation)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 480
Calico3 wrote
on Jan 4, 2011 4:11 AM

Here's an update on the lighter cover.  First, you need to string 54, not 52 delica beads to start.  Second, you will need 41 rows, not 39.  You may also need a tiny border around the top. You will also need to use create a partial bottom around the lighter cover to prevent it from slipping every time it's used.  I did a row of alternating #11 delicas and #15 seed beads, then a row using only size #15s.

Here is the finished lighter cover, front and back.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Jan 4, 2011 4:17 AM

OK, send it to me! I WANT TO HAVE THAT! No, just kidding. I love the pattern you did with the Kokopelli and the Southwestern colors.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 480
Calico3 wrote
on Jan 4, 2011 4:23 AM

Kokopelli:

OK, send it to me! I WANT TO HAVE THAT! No, just kidding. I love the pattern you did with the Kokopelli and the Southwestern colors.

lmao

That was a christmas gift for my DH - that he didn't get until yesterday morning because I ran out of black delicas and had to order more.  I also didn't know I had to resize it until it was nearly finished and I realized it wasn't quite going to fit.  I fudged it and he'll never notice the slight 'oops' it has at the borders.  I will be happy to send you the pattern and you can add the extra rows, etc.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,877
MelindaB@14 wrote
on Jan 4, 2011 10:20 AM

That is probably the nicest lighter cover I've ever seen, what a lucky husband you have.  Thank you for sharing!

Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing I'd love to try this pattern out.

MelindaB ~ Juneau, Alaska USA

When you dream ... what are you wearing?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about Learning to Dance in the rain!

Authors UNKNOWNEmbarrassed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 585
Karenra wrote
on Jan 4, 2011 2:15 PM

Very nice!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jan 4, 2011 8:05 PM

Hey, that turned out really good!  Congrats on getting it figured out.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 411
Memoosim wrote
on Jan 4, 2011 8:37 PM

That is sharp!  I really like that a lot.  Really really Big Smile.  Question....... coz I've seen these a lot, and I do smoke ( Embarrassed )... do they come off? 

Cherie

Dance.  Even if you're the only one who hears the music. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 480
Calico3 wrote
on Jan 5, 2011 12:37 AM

Memoosim:

Question....... coz I've seen these a lot, and I do smoke ( Embarrassed )... do they come off? 

Cherie

Yeah, me too. My bad.  Anyway, yes, they come off.

Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS