Let's talk mixed-media jewelry!

This post has 26 Replies | 19 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 13
ForumModerator
Debbie.Blair wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 8:38 AM

What materials and techniques do you like to use in your mixed-media or handcrafted jewelry? Do you make it for yourself, or as a gift for others?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Dec 16, 2010 9:39 AM

I've been using scraps of leather lately, and also lots of scrapbook paper coated in resin. Love blank metal discs which can be hammered, stamped, punched and dapped!

Erin S

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ShannonL@15 wrote
on Jan 12, 2011 9:25 PM

I love all sorts of materials. Polymer, paper, wire, beads, grungeboard, UTEE, metal parts especially Tim Holtz, found objects, whatever seems interesting. It's a challenge to try and put them together in a cohesive beautiful and interesting way. I have sold a few pieces but I'm not very good at marketing my jewelry so I mostly make it for myself and as gifts. I have found my passion though and hope I can always bead. Even if I,m in a nursing home,HAHA.

S. Latona

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 122
appatite wrote
on Mar 11, 2011 2:46 PM

Seconded on the hammered metal! Hammering metal plates/charms can create an amazing organic look. I also enjoy using stones, wood or coral coated in sterling silver or gold vermeille.

Stones and Findings

www.stonesandfindings.com

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 127
jamberrysong wrote
on Mar 23, 2011 4:21 PM

I'm fond of using natural/organic materials like paper, wood, and stone. :) Wire-wrapping goes so nicely with things like pebbles and water-smoothed pieces of beach glass.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what's essential is invisible to the eye." - Fox, The Little Prince

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on May 16, 2011 10:55 AM

I have also been playing with hardened metal and hammering I use a piece of rail road track to hammer on (ear plugs are a must) I love the way gold fill wire hardens and have even been hammering jump rings it speeds them open and reminds me of closing crimp covers the way you have to coax the ends back together I am also mixing my metals silver and gold I just finished a pare of earrings that took a design I had made for bead star step farther and am loving the results I will have to take pictures and post them

" the future belongs to those who belives in the beauty of their dreams"

Eleanor Roosevelt

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jun 8, 2011 4:56 AM

It includes a bunch of per-cut strips to make the tiny  rounder beads and two tools  you will use one or the other it's just preference   also as you see the bamboo tool has a cute little ornament of paper beads paper beads really should be finished and sealed.

_____

Murano Glass

Not Ranked
Posts 22
fmsommers wrote
on Jun 8, 2011 8:30 AM

I'm new to this forum and awed by what this group is doing, but I thought I might have something to contribute here. When you work with a hammer, especially for a long time, be sure to keep the action in your wrist. Also, remember that working metal hardens it and work hardened metal can become brittle. The solution is to anneal it with a torch.

Fleury Sommers

http://fsommers.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 43
Cari Baker wrote
on Jan 30, 2012 12:55 AM

Hello... I design a wire crochet bracelet which are made with Swarovski Bicone Crystals or Pearls or Seed beads and artistic wire.  But I am stepping outside my comfort zone and looking into wire wrapping. I have made a few pairs of earrings... and now I'm like a sponge... wanting to learn more! lol

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 127
on Jan 30, 2012 4:24 AM

Dblair:

What materials and techniques do you like to use in your mixed-media or handcrafted jewelry?

Polymer clay! I create my own beads, most floral beads.

Dblair:

Do you make it for yourself, or as a gift for others?

I made for my box. Really! I have five box filled with necklace, earrings, bracelet and purse of all sorts.

Patterns, Charms, Beads:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/Coccoementa

Not Ranked
Posts 5
seeteshsnv wrote
on May 17, 2012 6:37 AM

In my point of view, mixed media jewelry refers to jewelry that is made with two or more different materials.The use of different elements creates a unique look,providing endless possibilities for styling, texture and color combination.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 61
ElleBlaisure wrote
on Sep 16, 2012 1:44 AM

I personally experiment with all kinds of mixed media (which I love!). Leather, wirework, silversmithing, beading, metalsmithing, resin, paper and inks. It is so much fun combining different mediums into one piece :D. 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
rory8535 Wink [;)] wrote
on Oct 7, 2012 7:54 PM

Greetings!

After browsing through the replies, one of my favorite medias for making jewelry seems to be pretty low on the list of items, and--considering it's versatility, as well as it's availability--I wonder why?  

What is this easy-to-come-by, natural, and extremely versatile item?  Why, WOOD!

Here is a pendant that I made last year, primarily from wood (the disc is Ziricote, and the shapes on top of it are: on the left, Olivewood; on the right, Yellowheart), but  it also uses a 12X8mm Malachite cabochon and some 16ga round, half hard, sterling silver wire. Admittedly, these are exotic wood scraps, but even a piece from a maple tree branch from a tree in your back yard can be used in a jewelry project!  

I'd really like to see more people using wood in their designs!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To reply to the rest of the posted question: I make very, very few pieces for myself: I almost always give my jewelry creations to friends!  For me, the joy is in the making.  Big Smile  Sometimes the piece is intentionally for a specific person, but often, I find that I've made something with no particular party in mind, and then I just hang onto it...  It's not usually long before someone comes along, though, that belongs to the piece, and I gift them with it!

Thanks for letting me comment!

Regards to all!

rory,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Northern Lights Creations                                                                                                                                                                                                                               College Place, WA 99324

Not Ranked
Posts 12
johnmark86 wrote
on Nov 9, 2012 5:12 AM

Designer jewellery is always in fashion, but with time it wears off it shine so you can make both of them look alike with a little handiwork

Not Ranked
Posts 1
pamelaboze wrote
on Dec 18, 2012 1:11 AM

I love to use all types of materials such as metal, wire, stone, resin, clay, etc. to create a unique piece of jewellery.  Yes I agree with you that designer jewellery is always in fashion we can make the jewellery trendy with our handi work this needs a little bit creative thought. I like to design jewellery by myself and present it as gifts to others.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS