How to keep a focal from flipping over

This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Nov 20, 2010 12:33 PM

I just received an order of amazing lampwork beads by Kerri Fuhr today (she's kerribeads on Etsy).  Now I'm beginning the feel the pressure of designing jewelry that does justice to exquisite art beads.  The three focals I received are all one-sided -- they have either a dragonfly or honeybee on one side of a lentil or tile.  Do you have any ideas for engineering the focals so that they remain front side up?  The only idea I've come up with so far is to place a flat piece of something (metal, beadwork, whatever) behind the bead and connect with an eyepin placed through the focal.

In case you'd like to drool a bit, here are the sets I got (Kerri's photos):

Kerribeads Lampwork Silver Opal and Ivory Tapestry Dragonfly Mini Set - as seen in Stringing Magazine

Added a bunch more red tapestry beads to this set:

Kerribeads Lampwork Red Tapestry Honeybee Nugget Mini Focal Bead

And had her add a black dragonfly to this set:

Kerribeads Lampwork Silver Blue Green Tapestry Button Set

Aren't her beads gorgeous?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Nov 20, 2010 4:53 PM

Oh wow, I'm drooling!

I guess it would depend on whether you're stringing them or putting them on wire.  I have good luck getting them to stay the way I want If I make a double wrapped-loop link or on a headpin with a nice tight wrap.  If you have a bead cap or a bead that snugs into the indent/hole near either end that helps too.

It also occurs to me that Tierra Cast makes end caps with a small bit that fits into the bead hole.  I wonder if that would help any.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Nov 20, 2010 10:25 PM

Lisa those are exquisite!!!  I love good lampwork and these sure are.  That honeybee is beautiful...ivory with sterling silver is another favorite of mine.

Fill the holes snugly with either seed beads or plastic tubing or the Tierra Cast bead caps...wrap the sides with either wire or strands/weaves of seed beads...are some ideas for keeping them flat.  Other than that maybe just design something such as a lariat that doesn't need the focal to stay flat?

Pam

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 122
amy_sev wrote
on Nov 21, 2010 6:02 AM

Nice find!  Those beads are BEAUTIFUL!

http://amybeads.blogspot.com

http://amybeads.etsy.com

Smile

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS