Do you want instructions?

This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 501
Editor
on Jun 4, 2008 5:57 AM

At left is my Beadwork challenge project for August/September.  Here's a bit about the project:  The stone dangles include wrapped loops, simple loops, and briolettes (similar to wrapped loops, but a different wirewrapping technique).  The silver "chain" is actually a bunch of multi-looped connectors that I've put together.

I've been writing instructions for my challenge projects and offering them for free on Beading Daily.  Should I offer instructions for this?  Are you interested? (Don't worry about hurting my feelings--beading is very personal and everyone has different project preferences.)

And the big question--if I do offer the instructions, what should I name this project?  I was thinking "Go Fish!" but I would love to hear what you think!  (And if I use your suggested name, I'll send you a free copy of Beadwork that has a photo of this project!)  Thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jun 4, 2008 9:56 AM

My first thought was some sort of strange breeding accident between the '80's arcade video game character Centipede and the little bug thingies from the kid's game Cootie. I know that this absolutely no help to you in any way, but I always roll with my first thoughts, no matter how silly they sound. Sometimes things just work out on their own. Wink

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 244
Nemeton wrote
on Jun 4, 2008 3:16 PM

I'd love instructions for this - I am pants at wirework but it always fascinates me to see how pieces like this are put together!

The blue beads in the centres of the connectors are like eyes (with eyelashes!) and it also reminds me of the paintings of Joan Miro - I think it's the colour scheme and the combination of round and linear shapes - how about 'Miro Eyes'?

Lynn

My website: http://lynndavybeadwork.co.uk/

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 112
Radiance@3 wrote
on Jun 5, 2008 2:10 PM
Nemeton -- you are "pants" at wirework? I thought I was up on my British slang, but please, you've got to explain that one for me! =D And Michelle -- I always appreciate instructions, whether I intend to make the specific piece or not, because you never know what will spark an idea. And I think the Miro reference is an excellent title!
Carol
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 244
Nemeton wrote
on Jun 5, 2008 2:20 PM

Sorry Radiance, I spend far too much time on the UK beady forums and forgot where I was... but 'pants' means 'really not very good' or words to that effect! I struggle with wire, I can never get it to do what I'm asking it to do, or look neat and professional when I've finished - I can just about make an OK-ish wrapped loop if you don't look too closely, but that's my limit. Wirework projects fascinate me though!

Lynn

My website: http://lynndavybeadwork.co.uk/

Not Ranked
Posts 16
HelenL@25 wrote
on Jun 5, 2008 7:38 PM

Hi

I am new to Beading Daily Forum.  I have been beading for about two year and I am crazy about it.  The bead store I deal with had a beading challenge last year and myself and another girl shared the prize of money to guess what "Buy more beads"

I just love it.  Just took a class on wiring.

Can you email me the instructions too.

Thanks a bunch

AnnSmile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
DianaC@17 wrote
on Jun 5, 2008 10:52 PM

Please send the directions!  Always wanting to learn a new way

of doing things.

Thank you.............Diana

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 112
Radiance@3 wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 9:17 AM
Thanks for the education, Lynn! :-) I love wirework, too, but I have the same problems you're describing. I think it's because I tend to "overengineer" things -- usually by using wire that's too heavy. That forces me to fight the wire, and makes it harder to get a neatly-finished result. Recently, I've started choosing wire that's lighter than I think I need, and so far, I'm getting much better results. My pieces may not be indestructible anymore, but they're a lot prettier! =D
Carol
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 501
Editor
on Jun 10, 2008 9:22 AM

Thanks everyone!  I will work on those instructions and post them on Beading Daily when they're ready.  I have a colleague here who thought that the dangles looked like fishing lures.  Despite the fish clasp, I wasn't thinking about that at all when I was creating--isn't it funny what our subconscious comes up with?

Great naming suggestions!  I do think it does have a 'centipede' look.  I also looked up Miro's work and you're right--there are some interesting connections there too!  I'm going to see if we get a few more suggestions and then I'll let you know what I decide! 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,215
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jun 10, 2008 6:29 PM

Hi

I guess I am looking forward to the 4th of July for I see fireworks when I see this lovely peice.With the red and blue I see maybe a good name would be "Oh Say Can You See"

Just looking forward to another holiday and the 4th reminds me of family time and fireworks.LOLBig Smile

Sue

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Temperance,Michigan

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 105
elizabeth@83 wrote
on Jun 22, 2008 7:05 PM

I think they look like eyes! It is like they are looking back at me!

"I've Got My Eye On You!"

Elizabeth

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 2, 2008 9:29 PM

You had to mention eyes didn't you? Now it looks like some sort of 5 eyed alien about to enjoy a nice little seafood snack. *laughz* Please don't be offended by the way that my warped mind works. I'm a 45 year old retied electronic tech/computer geek/gamer/jewelry maker who's favorite TV channels are Cartoon Network, Sci-Fi, and VH1 Classic. I am also HIGHLY medicated most of the time, and even high from time to time. *grinz* Meh, it keeps me ole broke up self moving. So you never know what I will come up with. I mean absolutely no disrespect in any fashion. This piece is just funny and fun. I like that in a piece of jewelry.

My 16 year old daughter is looking over my shoulder and already bugging me about making her one. She said that it looks like one of Grandaddy's fishing lures. I don't fish, but I do play a lot of video games, so we think on different planes. She used to go fishing with my Dad and Uncle Sid until he passed last summer. She's got all of his fishing gear. She was the only one of the Grandkids that ever fished with him, so mom got it all together and gave it to her. I'm actually going to make a couple of pendants from the lure selection for her.

Anyhoo, she and I both would appreciate it if you would post the instructions. She's a beautiful tomboy and this piece suits her personality just right.

Thanks,

Billy and Vanessa

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 501
Editor
on Jul 9, 2008 8:15 AM

Instructions for "Gone Fishin' with Miro" are now available.  Thanks for everyone's help!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jul 9, 2008 9:06 AM

Michelle M.:

Thanks for everyone's help!

You are quite welcome, but you are the the brains behind this whole operation and we should all humbly thank you. My daughter is going to just love it! Thanks again, you are too cool. Big Smile 

Billy ;o)

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS