Content of Beading Daily

This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Jocille wrote
on Oct 25, 2010 5:36 PM

I receive Beading Daily and the large majority contains Wire Work or advertising of the various books available.  I would like to see the format return to the original, which was about BEADING.  I know there are a lot of people interested in Wire Work so why not split off and have a Wire Work Daily for those people.   

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 137
Artual wrote
on Oct 26, 2010 3:38 AM

Well, to tell the truth, I am also wondering every time I get the newsletters from BD, why is there so much wire work tutorial and description instead of beadwork...It makes me confused, did I register on a proper site or not. Of course wire works are wonderful (and do have something in common with beads) , but I suppose the majority of people around would be interested in beading techniques, but these are rarely mentioned in news.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
pearlgirl64 wrote
on Oct 27, 2010 6:14 AM

A couple of us have made similar comments under Kristal Wick's blog of 22 Oct, "Weave, Wrap and Coil Your Way to Wire Jewelry Making with Jody Bombardier".
It is hard to be a technique puritan today, particularly as mixed media jewelry is so hot, so another solution that comes to mind might be to merge everything under the name jewelrymakingdaily.com. Then appoint a group of, say, 5 editors, each with his or her field of interest (beading, wire, metal clay etc...). Each could then write 1-2 blogs a week and there would be something for all of us.
But that's just my 2 p...

Sandra, Liguria, Italy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Oct 27, 2010 10:24 AM

Jocille Daniel@2:

I receive Beading Daily and the large majority contains Wire Work or advertising of the various books available.

I'm pretty sure that you sort of answered your own question in this statement. They tend to "push" what isn't selling so hot at the moment so I personally believe that you just get the jist of what's not selling, ya know. This, of course is just my personal opinion and not of anyone other than myself. It's just that is what it seems to be, ya know.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 563
kareng915 wrote
on Oct 27, 2010 9:33 PM

I've also notice that there seems to be way more wirework info than beading info recently.  I don't mind getting some info on other techniques and media, but I did sign up for Beading Daily.

karen  ~  BeadDelirium    blog  |  artfire 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Oct 28, 2010 2:13 PM

Right now they are hawking Dale 'Cougar' Armstrong's new book and DVD so there is going to be a lot about wirework because that is the subject matter of the book. You have to remember that Interweaves main concern with the entire site is making money. It's the people of the forums that make the place worth coming to. That's why so many other beading/jewelry forums are kind of sucky, ya know. Trust me, no matter why comes in the newsletter, you can ALWAYS find ANY info that you need here in the forums. We have a wonderful little somewhat dysfunctional family here. *grinz* Sure, we argue and even fight sometimes, but when the push comes to the shove, everyone ALWAYS has each others back. We have beginners to long time pros that do everything from simple stringing, beadweaving, wirework, bead embroidery, loomwork, metalsmithing, and lapidary work. We have an AMAZING group of people here that will always give the best advice that they have to offer. No question about it, these are still the best forums on the web. And it is the people, not the company that makes it that way. I get the newsletter and a lot of the time, I just glance over it and delete it because it doesn't have anything that interests me, ya know. I hope that you will hang around and get to know the people here and not worry so much about the newsletter content.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 128
Kristal Wick wrote
on Nov 4, 2010 9:05 PM

Hey gals-

The bead world is bigger than just beadweaving and stringing- our crafty staff loves all forms of jewelry making and gets excited to share it with you. Every now and then it may appear we’re leaning too far one way or another, and we count on you all to let us hear it when we do. But rest assured we’ve got plenty of beadweaving and stringing content planned for the next few weeks, months and years. It is BEADing Daily, after all! No matter how far we stray, we always come back to the beads.

Thanks for following along- we’re all passionate about the beading we love. Keep spreading it!

Creatively,

Kristal

Editor Beading Daily

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 298
Xoko wrote
on Nov 5, 2010 4:41 AM

Hey guys, it's been a while since I last came on this, but I've been busy. I must say I agree with OP. She has a valid point, I just looked at my received mail for the last few months, and about 1/2 of the emails from "Beading Daily' are ads for stringing mag, spam for books, or metalworking articles. I know that running a site like this requires money, but the site already has lots of advertising, and Interweave sure ain't broke. At least the forums have stayed focused. 

Cheers!

Cool

Sean

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Nov 7, 2010 3:54 PM

Hey, Kristal, Billy and I are hardly girls; heck we aren't even female.

Stereotyping?  tsk.  WinkSmileBig Smile

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 298
Xoko wrote
on Nov 8, 2010 4:40 AM

Lol. I'm not female either. Stick out tongue

Cheers!

Cool

Sean

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Nov 8, 2010 9:28 AM

There you go Kristal!  I love this place no matter what we've been through or go through next. 

Personally, at one point a number of years ago I thought I was going to just do fabrication.  Was I ever wrong.  While I love playing with the torch and bending wire, it's always the beads that pull my creative stuff the most, but I love silver sheet and wire too so I like seeing all of it....

Stan, not to worry...we know you're a guy and we love you just as you are.  Sean, you've got nothing to worry about either.  And you all know how I feel about Billy!!!!!  What would we do without you guys?

Pam

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Lody wrote
on Nov 8, 2010 5:43 PM

Hmmmnnnn, I gotta admit that I felt the same way when I joined BD late last year - whenever I recieve wireworking, etc. that is! But then, I learned to love wirework  and other forms of BEADing. I used to focus on bead embroidery and bead stitching only - now I'm so glad I tried my hands on wires, though I get blisters most of the time. LOLTongue TiedBig Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 9
jewelry101 wrote
on Nov 8, 2010 6:25 PM

I agree with Lody when I signed up there was tons of wire working info in my email box.  That is why they make it so simple to opt out of there list.  I love to learn how to make different kinds of jewelry making.  Beading is fun but wire wrapping is also so much fun.  I love to make the interchangeable beaded watch bands also.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS