pearls

This post has 25 Replies | 8 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 250
Claudette48 wrote
on May 30, 2011 1:24 PM

Oh, I almost forgot - Black Pearls.  I do like pearls, but then there are a lot of things I do like.

Yes, there are Black Pearls.  They are only found in Tahiti and the Cook Islands, because that's the only place where you'll find black lipped pysters.  There's a visual for you.

Very expensive.  Teeny cultured ones go for $100.00, large start at $10,000.00, natural black pearls are maybe one out of 15,000 cultured and are astronomical in price.

Although they are called black, they can also be Peacock blue, green or purple.

ta ta for now

Claudette

Claudette

Tip: To stop metal findings from tarnishing store in a ZIP Lock bag with a chunk of chalk.

amagnetaday

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 127
jamberrysong wrote
on May 30, 2011 7:38 PM

Claudette, wow! This is very informative; I learned many new things from these posts. I can't imagine a family spending centuries creating one perfect necklace... that's storybook material right there. Truth really is stranger than fiction! And wow, one million dollars a necklace... that's one crazy expensive gift. I wish I could find a pearl in one of my eatin' oysters! We have them every year at Christmas, and so far no pearls yet. Maybe this year. ;D My dad or uncle (forgive me, I forget) found a pearl in a clam once; it wasn't that great a pearl. I've heard that happens from time to time but they are not as nice as oyster pearls and lack the luster of an oyster pearl. I've also heard that pearls don't last as long as other materials, like gold or cut stone. There were some Renaissance pearls at a museum I went to; if modern pearls are selling for millions, geeze, I wonder how much those ones sold for?

I've also heard something about Italian glass pearls being a hot commodity during the Renaissance. Do you know anything about that? It seems intriguing!

<3 - jams

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what's essential is invisible to the eye." - Fox, The Little Prince

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 250
Claudette48 wrote
on May 30, 2011 9:42 PM

We do live in an interesting world.

For over 3,000 years the royal family of China used creams made with ground pearls for more beautiful, acne and wrinkle free skin.  You can still buy it today and not particularly expensive, because they are using ground pearl rejects and the nubs and powder from polishing.  Some say they use 80 percent pearl as their main ingredient.

Speaking of pearl leftovers, for centuries they were ground up to coat glass beads so that others could afford pearls, although they were advertised as pearlies, which they still do today, some of which are so good that pearl experts must actually tough them to discern the difference.. 

Italian Glass Pearls are kind of like saying Swarovski Pearls, but it's Murano instead of Austria, and they are still made today, not necessarily made in Murano, like not all Swarovski is made in Austria.  They refer to man made pearls that have a "rumpled" finish.

The Crusades wrecked havoc in Europe and Asia.  People fled for their lives.  Glass artisans learned that Venice could protect them from Rome.  Most people don't realize that Venice is an island and that there are other islands, which are grouped together under the name Murano in the same lagoon.  Venice was always very famous for their art glass.  In the late 1200's in fear that the glass artisans would burn down their island/city they made them move to Murano and there they have been ever since, responsible for millefiore, cane, lampwork, blown, goldstone, opalite, milk glass, enameled glass, making glass look like gemstones and pearls, and I'm sure the list is much longer.

Did you know that Daniel so disliked his father's name that he changed it to Swartz, but his financier thought Swarovski sounded better?

Claudette

amagnetaday

Claudette

Tip: To stop metal findings from tarnishing store in a ZIP Lock bag with a chunk of chalk.

amagnetaday

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 127
jamberrysong wrote
on May 31, 2011 12:42 AM

That's amazing! I'd only ever heard of Venetian glass; I did not know all that. It's very fascinating. Why were the glass makers hiding from Rome? I would think that they would want to be in Rome because the church had all the money for commissioning artwork. Was it because of the tension between the Italian city-states? Also, do Venice and Murano have more stained glass windows and such than Rome? XD I know it's a silly question; but it would be awesome if that were the case!

I'm going to look for some of that cream. Have you ever tried it? I imagine it doesn't work, but the novelty of it alone makes it very intriguing. XD

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what's essential is invisible to the eye." - Fox, The Little Prince

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 250
Claudette48 wrote
on May 31, 2011 7:46 AM

Rome commissioned the  Crusades to go out for a little over 200 years to kill anyone that would not become a Christian.  They called it the Holy Wars.  The reason why the glass artisans were protected in Venice is because Rome and their friends the wealthy, wanted not only their stained glass, but chandeliers, beads, statues, crystal glassware, art work, etc., so over looked their religion, just like they did Michael Angelo, who actually was a Pagan.  The work of Venice and Murano, then and now is exquisite and stunning, usually only seen in wealthy homes, very expensive art galleries, and fine museums.  

I've never tried the Pearl Cream, but have been curious.  I did actually buy some.  I think I'll try it and let you know.

Claudette

amagnetaday 

Claudette

amagnetaday

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Tewei wrote
on Dec 30, 2011 9:23 PM

The pearl powder is pretty cool. It's main purpose is to whiten the skin because Chinese women prefer to have pale skin. Culturally, it is considered attractive, similar to the tan here in the states. Its kind of like the tanning beds of China. It also makes your skin super smooth and have good complexion. 

Anyways, just wanted to add.... I love pearls!

David

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 33
Pearlescence wrote
on Jan 1, 2012 4:21 AM

Hi

There are other, more accessible black pearls- freshwater pearls can and are dyed black. You don't want over processed black black pearls but look for strands with a variety of colours and tones and big lustre. These pearls are much more affordable

can't comment on pearl powder though, even though I probably have a fine haze of it all over me some days from drilling pearls daily

www.Pearlescence.co.uk

www.gemescence.co.uk

Not Ranked
Posts 2
HarryPitts wrote
on Nov 14, 2012 1:55 AM

These days I’m making pearl necklaces for office wear and most of the time I use white pearls. That really goes with office wear and also it give a kind of ideal look for that dress. 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
BunnyGirlz wrote
on Nov 14, 2012 4:15 AM

Identifying fake pearls are really easy, because they have no deviations in their size or the rhythm of their size increases in a graduated strand and they have no difference in color from one pearl to another,seeming almost flat in tone.

Parents love Britax baby products.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
puccini914 wrote
on Feb 24, 2013 7:33 PM

Beware when buying Spanish imitation pearls from the island of Majorca.  There is one company that has been around since 1890 and has been making the highest quality imitation pearls.  That company is Majorica.  They start with a glass ball and then add an adhesive paste made of oil and crushed  fish scales or mother of pearl, when this is dry they polish and shape it and then apply about 30 layers of it, polishing in between each layer.  It is then subjected to various gases and solutions to make them  impervious to discoloration, chipping and peeling. (this info from Wikipedia)  There have been newer companies with similar names like Majorca but with a cheaper product trying to jump on their fame.

I have a Majorica pearl necklace and a real pearl necklace.  I can hardly tell the difference.  They are beautiful.  My Mom bought them for me in Spain, when she was there.  I doubt they would be a good solution for beading, though as they sell their product as completed jewelry and isn't exactly cheap.  I looked up a 18 inch necklace of 8mm pearls and it was $195 on Amazon.com.

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS