I would love to share some looming techniques!

This post has 30 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 908
on Oct 19, 2010 11:45 AM

I know, for a fact, there are some great 'seed bead loomers' here on BD, I have seen their work! What I want is to discuss this technique, of bead weaving more, so other's would feel comfortable about trying it out! 

It may have been mentioned that I have written a book about bead looming, being published. I would like to have some input, for the book, by asking to have one question answered, "When you hear or see this form of beading, bead looming, what are your first thoughts?"

Other then that, I would also like to invite you to join my Group, on Face Book, called "A Bead Looming Intervention" 

There are many who have just started their looming adventure, and others who have been bead looming for a long time, but input from beaders, I see here on BD, would be great! So please consider joining.

Or, maybe we can get a group started here to help others feel more comfortable about this method of beading! If I am sounding passionate, it is because I am.....sorry for sounding so overwhelming! Big Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 908
on Oct 19, 2010 7:03 PM

I have received many personal emails, wondering if it is preferred to respond that way. Of course, please do send me your personal thoughts on this thread!

Thanks so much everyone!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Oct 20, 2010 4:34 AM

Cool Erin.  I just joined you on Facebook (facebook is new to me really...).  I'm not making anything right now but I'll check out the group to see what's up often.

Pam

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 363
Ruth. wrote
on Oct 20, 2010 6:39 AM

I guess the first thought that comes to mind is the fact that it is pricey. It's probably why I have stayed away from this form of beading with all the extra added expense of the loom, weights, etc. With beadweaving I just pick up a needle and thread and go to work, plus there are multiple stitches I can do. In addition, there does not seam to be a lot of information about this type of beading from what I see, or at least when I looked. I think it's great your writing a book! Maybe if I get the gumption I can go find my old cheapy loom and actually learn to set it up right.

Shippensburg Pennsylvania - about 30 minutes from Gettysburg

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 908
on Oct 20, 2010 8:38 AM

Thanks for joining Pam! I just got the message. I know you bead loom, so your input would be wonderful! There are so many members with questions and desires to start looming that you would be a great addition! I am not sure how to set it up, but I think you can set up your page to give you notices when something new is added to that page!

Hi Ruth! Looming is not any more costly then other beading techniques. Sure, there is a loom purchase, but only once! As for that cost, that varies too. The mystic about a large loom is not the right idea, for a beginner anyway. You want to match the size of your looming to the loom table, of your loom. This makes the tension work perfectly! I would love to help you through the process and teach you what ever you need to know. Please join the Group and ask away!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Oct 20, 2010 2:12 PM

For what it's worth Ruth, I have 5 looms in different sizes including 3 that are adjustable which I've purchased over the years.  I started out with the small craft store variety and I still use it on occasion for a small project.  It's not necessary to start with an expensive one, and sometimes not even practical.

The cost of thread & seed beads isn't more than for any off loom project really.  Just thought I'd throw that out there. 

I love looming, I just don't do it as often as I used to.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,472
Evalie wrote
on Oct 22, 2010 8:00 PM

Looming was the first form of beading I ever did ! It was easy at a very young age  to plot out designs, and even plan out names in  bands of beads for my friends. It even worked well with young hands ! ( much easier than some sewing techniques )

Evalie

Massachusetts Coast

http://www.etsy.com/shop/4evadorn 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 908
on Oct 22, 2010 8:17 PM

This is very true, Evalie. For some reason though, it is not as sought after for a form of bead weaving, these days. I hope to offer some thoughts about this choice, especially for the experienced bead weavers. I have ways now, to not even reweave, tape or glue the warps! That should get some more interest going!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Oct 23, 2010 7:27 AM

Believe me, I'm ready to pre-order my copy of your book as soon as it's available!

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 456
lostaloha wrote
on Oct 23, 2010 12:34 PM

I think looming was the first thing I learned.. back in kindergarten!  But my boyfriends family is Native American, and I've helped my MIL many a time with loom work, I should try and find a photo of the belt I made for a pow-wow.

From the Oregon Coast to Tacoma.

etsy :: blog :: flickr

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Oct 23, 2010 3:30 PM

Erin,  my first thought is "I really need to learn that someday"  I'm one of the few people who were never exposed to any beading in girl scouts, summer camp etc.  I've watched one video on looming a simple bracelet, and it seemed to me that  it would work up pretty fast.  It looked less complicated than I thought it would be.

I'm glad you've written a book.  I'll be sure and watch for it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 33
on Oct 23, 2010 11:39 PM

Do you mind Erin if I pass this on to another starting loomer.  She is on another forum that I participate in I gave her the link to your blog and website.

I love your work when I visit your blog I am always tempted to get my craft store loom out and try again, but I always seem to have 20+ projects on the go at once already.

I will go look your page up on facebook too.Big Smile

http://beadingfarmer.blogspot.com/

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 908
on Oct 25, 2010 7:06 PM

Hello HB! No, I don't mind at all! Now, what can I do persuade you to get something on your loom?

OK KC. If you want any help in getting you started, please don't hesitate to ask. You can even join the Group and I will help you through a loomed cuff!

Sydney, I would love to see the photo of your belt. I have been ending my warps in a very new and different way, so things are not the same with 'looming' anymore. With your design eye, you should pick the loom up again!

Jeni, you are part of the Group. Did you receive the letter I sent out last week? It offers a chance for me to help you start looming, then finishing with a technique, very new and different?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Oct 26, 2010 1:33 PM

Hi Erin, I haven't done anything on a loom in years, but I did join your FaceBook page anyway. I'm always up for learning new things, ya know. Sometimes my hands don't want to work with me with those tiny beads, but sometimes, I can. It just depends on a lot of factors, ya know. I am glad to be a part of your group anyway. I saw some outstanding work on there by you and others and it makes me a little jealous, ya know. *laughz* You are doing a good thing here, or at least I think so. Keep it up.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 908
on Oct 26, 2010 2:37 PM

Whoa Billy, I am so glad you joined! I hate to sound like as if I was the first to introduce bead looming, but I do have a desire to resurrect this method. To do so, I want to offer a new and different way to finish off the warps. I just know, this was the hold up for many who liked this technique and beading. If you feel you are up to the plan, then be sure to join in. I will help you through it. I can even help with a pattern if you like....say, maybe a looming of a dragonfly....(I play rough, I know!) Wink

Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS