How to preserve base metals from tarnish/color loss

This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
RebeccaS@55 wrote
on May 27, 2008 5:52 PM

Hi beading galpals,

I'd love to discover how to keep (gold) base metals from tarnishing/rubbing off or turning a different (silver) color in a few months or so.  I try to keep each piece in a plastic bag but how fun is that?  Does anyone have a tip to help me?  I look forward to hearing from you!

Bec

Paradise 

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Noreen@9 wrote
on May 27, 2008 7:15 PM

Hello Bec,

I don't think there is a way to keep base metal from tarnishing and/or changing color.  If you use pewter or gold filled findings (vermeil), you will not have to worry about this.  The pewter is a little bit more expensive than base metal, but not much.  The vermeil is more expensive.   I once tried to use costume jewelry cleaner on base metal, and it didn't do a thing to help.  Sorry I could not help.  I would be interested to see if anyone else has any tricks regarding this.  Good luck to you.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 113
Radiance@3 wrote
on May 31, 2008 8:50 AM
I wonder... would the Future floorwax dipping trick work for this purpose?
Carol
Not Ranked
Posts 3
RebeccaS@55 wrote
on Jun 16, 2008 9:51 AM

Thanks Noreen.

I found vermeil does rub off which is why I only use gold filled now $$$$.  My local bead shop sell brass that passes for antique gold.  I'll try vermeil from a different vendor and hope for the best.  Thanks for giving me hope.  Bec

Paradise 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
RebeccaS@55 wrote
on Jun 16, 2008 9:52 AM

Really, floor wax???

Paradise 

Not Ranked
Posts 22
ForumModerator
on Jun 16, 2008 10:25 AM

Hi,

I haven't heard of the floor wax trick but you can try lightly spraying the findings with matte acrylic spray to prevent them from changing color. I've done this on collaged paper/plastic charms and pendants and it's worked great, but I haven't tried it on metal. Just be sure to use several thin coats and of course do this in a well-ventilated area. I believe some PMC artists spray their fine silver once they’ve achieved the exact color they want with liver of sulfur.

Melinda Barta

Managing editor, Beadwork and Stringing

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jun 18, 2008 8:29 AM

I just fond a product that claims to protect metal. It is called Maas Metal Protector.  It is at this web site advertized on the Interweave's website. I hope the link works, but you may have to copy and paste.  http://www.wickedgoodbeadz.com/

Sue">

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS